Status
Not open for further replies.

swoody

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2011
Chicago, USA
Hello, world!

I own a DNA20 powered device with an internal battery, and I've also been eyeballing the new hana modz v3 with the DNA30 board.

hana modz suggests going with the Sony VTC4 for anything over 20w output. I have absolutely no plans of doing so at this time, but I think I would pick up this Sony battery just to be able to max this thing out in the future.

I'm curious about the charging ability of these boards. I can't imagine it would have the same safety and confidence of something like a Pila or Xtar. Charging the battery externally is definitely possible, but it would be a bit of a hassle since you would have to unscrew the back cover of the mod every night.

I was hoping to find some electro-gurus on here who may be able to shed some light here. Does anyone have any thoughts on using the dna board to charge an internal battery, or the Sony VTC4 in particular? How would this compare to using a quality external charger?

Thank you for any input!

Woody

Keynith

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2011
Atlanta
You can use the DNA 30 to charge the battery. I don't, because I have my batteries in a rotation. I just picked up some of the new efest 35A Purples , so when I go sub ohm I can do it safely. I honestly would rather something go wrong on my 30 dollar charger, then while inside my 250$ dollar mod...even if catastrophic failure is a low risk situation, I'm still not going to take the risk. If your on the go, then yeah it makes sense to use it as a passthrough, while charging your gear. It really isn't that big of a deal to unscrew the one screw and take the battery out. I have one of those screwdriver keychain things, so I always have access to a philips/flat head.

swoody

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2011
Chicago, USA
That's a very good point. Not just from a convenience point of view, but a safety one. Charging the batt externally would not only be safer on the battery, but would protect the mod from any catastrophic failures, venting, etc. etc.

Even if the DNA board can provide the same safety as a Pila / Xtar / Intellicharger, in the rare instance that my particular example does have a defect, using an external charger would make it a moot point.

On top of that, keeping two batteries in rotation would mean no time spent tethered to a computer or wall wart.

Woody

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread