Not open for further replies.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I honestly don't see what the big deal is about the dna 250C and its replay function.

By all accounts I've seen, it doesn't work on wire materials that can't reliably do temperature control. So unless you're using stainless steel wire and not using TC, it's of no use.

It's designed to let the user replicate that perfect puff on stainless steel wire, over and over, and never get a dry hit. That's cool but that's what TC already does.

Apparently, under some conditions the mod doesn't do the replay right and the perfect vape is lost until you re-dial it. Such as, you set up and save the replay out on the patio. Then go inside. Then come get the mod and take it with you back inside. Set it down for a bit and then try to vape and... ouch. That sounds like TC--set the resistance at room temperature, lock it (or let the mod lock it for you), and you get the perfect vape inside or outside. Don't set resistance at room temp and you're drawing to a gutshot straight.

The only people I could see really liking this capability are people who are brand new vapers who know diddly about TC, those who have all the patience of a Starbucks customer, or both. Most brand new vapers use drop in coils that suck at TC, so... How likely is it that they'll get something worthwhile?

If you understand temperature control and use it successfully, of what benefit is this new feature of this new chip?

I'm not trying to knock what may be a great new paradigm. Just trying to understand what it might do for me.

Chodi

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
Evolv claims only 10-20% of their user actually use their dna mod with tc. That number shocked me when I heard them say it on a video. I use tc on all 3 of my dna mods but I admit there was a learning curve. The idea for Replay is to address a wider audience. They are trying to attract those people who don't want to bother using Escribe or going through setup routines. I will give it a try when they offer that firmware just to see how it performs. I never vape with Kanthal any more so basically all my builds are possible with tc.

Steve Parry

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Cookeville TN
It's ironic really. Back in the day you were either a variable voltage or variable wattage vaper. Evolv argued VW was better because... you could get that perfect vape every time, no matter what you screwed on the mod. Switching from a 1.8 ohm to 2.2 ohm clearos required adjustments on VV, not so with VW.

They won the argument, then promptly made a chip that required you to make different adjustments for different tanks. That's why I thought TC was silly. If you don't want burnt hits, build correctly for your atomizer, wick it right, and refill it when necessary. You don't need special wire or a chip making adjustments on the fly to achieve that.

Now they're back, at least from a marketing standpoint, to the "set it and forget it" strategy. They might as well just say "It's as easy as vaping was before we dumped temp control in your lap".

Chodi

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
While I agree with your comments Steve you have to consider that Evolv has done something very few small American companies have ever done. They have created a technology made in the USA that they export to China in volume. Evolv has become a very important supplier in this emerging industry. They only have 22 employees because they have automated but still manufacture in America. This is a model worth noting. As a company they are a major success story.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Evolv claims only 10-20% of their user actually use their dna mod with tc. That number shocked me when I heard them say it on a video. I use tc on all 3 of my dna mods but I admit there was a learning curve. The idea for Replay is to address a wider audience. They are trying to attract those people who don't want to bother using Escribe or going through setup routines. I will give it a try when they offer that firmware just to see how it performs. I never vape with Kanthal any more so basically all my builds are possible with tc.
That surprises me, too. TC is not that difficult and if a device I own has the capability, I'm using it. Doing TC well is a must have when shopping for a device.

I think what would be helpful for making replay and TC stick and get over that 10-20% hump would be tank and coil manufacturers changing their approach. Smok coils suck at TC. Most others suck a little less. Kanger seems to be the only big shot that gets it. Kanger SSOCC SS316L coils hooked me on TC last year.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Replay is not TC though. There's a few good video from the official German DNA pope - sadly only in German - where he demonstrates a few things. Eg there's a replay firmware version called "replay-pk" which can do replay with kanthal (still in development). On the manual coming with the lost vape 250c it states you can use replay with "mixed wires" (non-tc + tc exotic builds), not possible with TC.
When using replay there's also no temperature information available in escribe, Evolv are looking at many more parameters than a pure TC mode would do, it's also more than a simple dry hit insurance (that's just a side effect).

If you add to that what reviewers reported then there's no doubt replay is not TC and will deliver a different experience.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
I decided to drop a few of the videos since there's a new one teaching how to activate the undocumented replay-pk mode for experimenting purposes. Yes they're German but relatively short and showing the important stuff on the escribe screen anyways.
replay vs tc escribe

replay-pk with an alien kanthal coil

how to activate replay-pk (short: developer mode->mod->replay dubious coils/unlikely coils, then check "PK" in the profile under replay)

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
Quoting my recent post from another similar thread:

The reviews I have seen, by reviewers that never use TC in their reviews, love it. It basically gives them the high powered, hot type, vape they are used to when using wattage mode (with TC capable wire builds) with no chance of a dry hit. I hated TC on my little SMY SDNA 75 mods because it sucked out of the box and I couldn't be bothered to learn/fiddle with escribe. I am interested in it but will be waiting until the firmware is out for the 75c, or there are more affordable 250c squonk options on the market.

I use TC mode whenever possible (cuz I don't want a rayon dry hit) but I honestly prefer the vape I get off my mech squonks and the vape I used to get when using my now retired RTA's in wattage mode.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Don't know about Replay? Or if it is a Big Deal or Not?

Because the Only 2 People I have seen (in a Video) using it was the Owner of the Company who Makes it, and a Reviewer who was sitting next to Him.

I Value this particular Reviewer's Opinion. And he seemed Impressed for the Limited Use he used it.

But I wait until Actual Users start using it to make a guess as to whether I mike Like it or Not.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yeah, it sounds like it's hard to know exactly what replay has to offer. I'm holding off for more real life experience (and, for my poverty to lift slightly) but that will be an advantage in case it's not so much a "new" development though I think it will certainly have some things to offer.... Etc.

Annaa

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
Because the Only 2 People I have seen (in a Video) using it was the Owner of the Company who Makes it, and a Reviewer who was sitting next to Him.
There are a number of videos up now for the paranormal from the likes of todd, mike vapes, bogan, etc and they all basically call it a 'game changer'. I am trying to force myself not to buy any vape gear for a while, especially a $100+ mod, so I likely won't get to experience it for quite some time myself.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Going by what Evolv says it's about flavor this time. Since you can't measure flavor with a sensor other than your tongue they must have found some convincing correlations in the heaps of data their devices can monitor.
What exactly those are - it's a secret and we will probably not know for a very long time.

Waiting impatiently for the 75c replay firmware :D

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
There are a number of videos up now for the paranormal from the likes of todd, mike vapes, bogan, etc and they all basically call it a 'game changer'. I am trying to force myself not to buy any vape gear for a while, especially a $100+ mod, so I likely won't get to experience it for quite some time myself.

Yeah... If it can do what it say's, then I'm sure there will be a Lot who call it a "Game Changer". Just like Temperature Control was a Game Changer when it hit the market.

I kinda see Replay as "TC v2.0". An easier to use form of what we have Today. That in-and-of-itself would be an Advancement. But perhaps a Game Changer more to People who have Never used TC. Or have used TC and have had Marginal Results with it.

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
IMO "Replay" is an easy! way to get a consistent hit every time :)
If your in that 10%, who vape TC exclusively it mite not be the great advancement it will for a more novice vaper :)
TC does a few things very well, it regulates the temp for a more consistent hit & it will not allow you to burn your wick.
It is how ever a little more complicated to master as opposed to just watts vaping.
From data Evolv has collected the majority of DNA vapers aren't using TC all the time, maybe to much hassle for them?
Replay simplifies things :) Find you best hit, lock it in & go! Consistent hit no burnt wicks :)

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
I kinda see Replay as "TC v2.0". An easier to use form of what we have Today.
It's a bad name, again, Replay isn't TC. It's not a different kind of TC and it's not an easier version of TC. It basically has very little to do with TC apart from maybe also taking into account resistance change data from the wire if possible. You don't set a temperature and the board doesn't calculate a temperature, don't know how you could call that temperature control.

Like I stated above, the developer mode in escribe even has Replay for Kanthal (unfinished but apparently somewhat working) which would be impossible by working with TCR/TFR curves like the DNA TC does.

So can we please stop calling Replay a form of TC? It's another option for dialing in your perfect vape, not meant to replace anything else. That it doesn't burn cotton is a byproduct of recording your hit.

If you're a TC user (like me) there's no reason to dismiss replay, it will be worth a try by the looks of it.
If you don't use TC then you got a new way to dial in your vape.
It's called "Replay" ;)

Ok so now dear Evolv employee reading the forum wire me my money pls
Kappa.png

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

So can we please stop calling Replay a form of TC? It's another option for dialing in your perfect vape, not meant to replace anything else. That it doesn't burn cotton is a byproduct of recording your hit.

Not sure why someone Wouldn't want to refer to Replay as a Form of TC?

Because that is Exactly what it does. It Regulates Coil Temperature to give a Desire Hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread