DNA250C Replay - what's the big deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Parry

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Cookeville TN
In your example, the 8 seconds of 4.4v followed by 2 seconds of 4.2v could conceivably cause the build and wick to reach the wick's ignition point with no flow of juice and no airflow. Maybe not your 0.86 build, but a different one, yeah. That would not happen in a properly calibrated TC model.

This right here nails it. You're 100% right, and this is what you're missing @ShowerHead . Not in my properly built, properly wicked atomizer set for the proper level of power for the atomizer I am using. Or alternatively, I could have a less than optimal wicking job or power setting, in which case TC will protect me. I concur.

The point is, if you build it right and set it right, it vapes right in power mode. Very consistent, very accurate.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
This right here nails it. You're 100% right, and this is what you're missing @ShowerHead . Not in my properly built, properly wicked atomizer set for the proper level of power for the atomizer I am using. Or alternatively, I could have a less than optimal wicking job or power setting, in which case TC will protect me. I concur.

The point is, if you build it right and set it right, it vapes right in power mode. Very consistent, very accurate.
Then it sounds like the Replay won't be a game changer for you either.

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
I think you're missing the roles that juice and airflow play in what you get out of either a power or a TC vape. The flow of air and the flow of juice both act as cooling mechanisms on the build.

1. Set power way, way too high and you will get a burnt hit. This is true regardless of how much air a human user can pull across the build.

2. There is no such animal as too high of an initial wattage in temp control. Once the build resistance reaches the level that the model says "this is set temp," the wattage setting is irrelevant. This is why you should always set a starting TC wattage well north of what you'd use in power mode.

TC (and Replay, presumably) don't care how much juice or air is flowing. Its job is to rapidly measure resistance, rapidly compute temperature and rapidly apply the appropriate voltage. Juice and air serve to moderate temperature change so achieving set temperature in a TC vape might mean more power is needed than what would be used in power mode.

In your example, the 8 seconds of 4.4v followed by 2 seconds of 4.2v could conceivably cause the build and wick to reach the wick's ignition point with no flow of juice and no airflow. Maybe not your 0.86 build, but a different one, yeah. That would not happen in a properly calibrated TC model.

It might not happen in Replay either, if Replay gets lucky and hits the right vape on a "dubious" material.

It certainly does nail it. Power mode is far to picky for a good vape.
TC isn't going to care about the power setting. Replay mode should be better for beginners.

When cherry picking quotes to 'support' your increasingly faulty point, see if you can't find the pertinent parts of the post.

Steve Parry

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Cookeville TN
Power mode is far to picky for a good vape.
Not if you know what you're doing.

Then it sounds like the Replay won't be a game changer for you either.
Probably not, but I'll give it a shot just like I did temp control. If I like it I'll keep it. If not, I'll stick with power mode.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I think it is, but he has a point.

Mechs are too picky, too.

Everything is Picky.

Heck, my Toaster browns one side of the bread More than the Other. And I have to Flip the bread over at just the Right time if I want a uniform, Menu Picture Quality, golden brown piece of Toast.

Or Maybe I'm Picky?

And Expect too much out of Small Kitchen Appliances?

Steve Parry

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Cookeville TN
This is Sarcasm. Right?
I think there's a universal human feeling that if others were introduced to what we love, they would love it too. It's not always the case.

I'm a trucker, and I need a mod and tank that can stand up to 8 hours of heavy vaping. I run the Hammer of God (para/series mech) with the Aromamizer Titan. It works great for me. Lots of folks wouldn't touch it.

I can get a great vape on a mech, but regulated is better for most situations because I can dial in the vape I want. I can get a good vape with temp control too. I can see why people like it. It's just not for me.

I'm not sure what is ment by a mech mod being "picky", but since it only safely fires Kanthal and SS I guess I can see that. And, it's certainly inconsistent since it slowly drops power over the cycle of the batteries.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I think there's a universal human feeling that if others were introduced to what we love, they would love it too. ...

This is True for Many People.

But, as I'm sure you know, the Fundamental Flaw in this is the assumption that what Other People are Looking for is the Same as what a person has Found.

• Agree

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
@untar, my husband wants to know, how do the Germans consistently stuff 10 lbs in a 5 lb bag and use entirely non-standard tools and "thoughts" to do it. LOL, he didn't ask directly but he sure muttered it a lot every time he worked on my (now gone) "new" Bug. LOL. He replaced the radiator once, and the atmosphere in the Garage was "blue" from all the cuss words floating around. LOL.

Anna

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Which one do you mean, the old one or the more recent version? The old one was partly designed before and during the war so that may explain a lot of unusual "design features" :). It was overhauled a few times but not really fundamentally changed. The more recent one should be up quite a normal car, though I must admit I've never seen the engine compartment of one.
You are talking about this, right?
320px-Volkswagen_Bubbla_sista_bilen.jpg

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
No, the other one the "new" Bug. I hated it (mainly because it was black on black and not so fun in the summer for transporting me to home visits and whatnot, in Tucson). But I also kind of wound up hating it generally.

At least (according to the husband) it still had some fairly non standard features as well as requiring some "non standard" tools.

I finally ran it through a wash one day (the sudden and torrential rains we get here cause roads to become rivers and etc.) because I was at work and not ABOUT to be trapped in my office the entire night. It's low to the ground and I fried my entire electronics panel. Best decision I ever made (replaced it with a Mazda 3).

It really was the suck, and honestly, I bet the original was better. It also had this "way" of sucking cigarette butts back into the vehicle when I was trying to eject them. Lots of burn holes, and it also had a "F you" carved into the back of it from one of my more anti-social kiddos. :lol::lol:

People are weird about that car, wound up auctioning it off via Craigslist in our driveway, it was an exciting morning for $1K. Which is WAY more than I would have paid for that car... But people (some of them) are a little nuts about VW.

Had I been vaping, but man, the cigarette issue was my SINGLE most annoyance. I'm surprised it didn't explode and I must have wound up with at LEAST 50-100 cigarette .... burns in it (not to mention, they would often fly in BETWEEN me and the seat. You try leaning back after "ejecting" a cigarette then realize the back of your shirt is on fire, and that your choices are to CONTINUE leaning back to "extinguish" it, or "unbelt, swerve to the side of the road, etc. etc."

Yes, that car and I..... Not so good. The only good thing I can say about it was it's mostly made of plastic so it avoided an insurance claim when I hit one of my neighbors coming home one day. No, ah, damage (to their vehicle).

I will say, my driving must have improved somewhere. I have zero "negative insurance points" ATM.

Anna

Reactions: untar

Tony M

Nov 18, 2013
Oklahoma City, Ok
6 pages and I'm more confused now than I was when I started.
I have sitting beside me a dna 250 norm. I'm using 317L ss Clapton spaced coils in a Bravo rta. I'm using the TFR I got from wire wizard for the .2 ohm coil I'm using. Now I can actually set the wattage to 250w and leave it there and just adjust the temperature to whatever I want. For right now, it's setting at 455 degrees f. Since I have a little harder pre-punch, it actually shows both in escribe and on the board as I look at it, to be punching up to around 465 degrees then falls back and stays at the set 455. I'm assuming then for replay if I am going along with these same settings, yet I find a place to wit my favorite vape happened to be at 460 at whatever watt and voltage that happened to be ( for argument sake) then if I hit save... Then the 250c replay will always hit that 460degree temp, that same wattage and volt I got with that best hit I liked? I think that's what replay does, takes the wattage, voltage and temp for that hit I liked and records it and duplicates it every time until I change it. It's definitely not simply wattage mode as would be for kanthal or other non- temp sensing wire, but then it's not temp control either like the dna 200 or 250 does. It's "Replay" lol

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I'm not sure what is ment by a mech mod being "picky", but since it only safely fires Kanthal and SS I guess I can see that. And, it's certainly inconsistent since it slowly drops power over the cycle of the batteries.
I missed this (due to the attempted threadjacking).

You have to know what you're doing with a mechs. If you don't, you could get a tepid vape, a toe-curler or an event that could injure you.

With power mode, you kinda have to know what your doing but less so. Dialing in the wrong wattage might not hurt you but might wreck your coil(s).

With TC, you kinda have to know what you're doing because the type wire in your build counts.

Replay doesn't seem to care I if you know what you're doing or not.

On the pickiness scale, replay is a 1 and mechs are a 10.

I can get (almost) the same vape on my RAM Squonk mech as I can on my Exus Ark 200 with TCR as I could on an Alien 220 in power mode (Smok mods suck at TC).

But that's because I know what I'm doing.

Steve Parry

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Cookeville TN
I can get (almost) the same vape on my RAM Squonk mech as I can on my Exus Ark 200 with TCR as I could on an Alien 220 in power mode (Smok mods suck at TC).

But that's because I know what I'm doing.
Totally agree. And for a newer vaper with access to a mod with Replay, there's no need or reason for them to learn all that. Just pay a few bucks extra and let the mod figure it out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread