DNA40: To glow or not to glow? Should Nickel oxide be of concern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steam Turbine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Montreal Quebec Canada
Here is a question for the chemistry literate people out here.

As I was screwing down my Ni200 coils, I thought; why not turn temp control off and make these bad boys glow to get rid of whatever manufacturing oils that may be left on the wire, kanthal style.

Upon doing that I noticed my coils changing color, hence oxidizing. To me they look bluish but my colorblindness makes this observation unreliable at best.

Anyhow, I went on good'ol Wikipedia and search for Nickel Oxide. There seems to be two kind of Ni oxide, one green, one black and from what I gathered the black one is not well understood. But here is what it says about the green one or more formally Nickel(II) oxide:

Wikipedia said:
Long-term inhalation of NiO is damaging to the lungs, causing lesions and in some cases cancer.

So, after reading this I was wondering at what temperature NiO was produced:

Wikipedia said:
Upon heating above 400 °C, nickel powder reacts with oxygen to give NiO.

I know my coils are not powder but I witnessed this color change, my pinky tells me that it is oxidizing. 400 °C is around 750 °F which in turn is well above the temp control upper limit of the DNA40 board. I therefore decided not to glow my coils anymore and I am considering wiping my Ni200 wires with aceton to remove any oily residue that might be present on the said wire, as recommended by Evolv.

Long story short:

Do you think that NiO is suceptible to leach into the vapor? Or is it securely fixed to the wire and not leach?

Last edited:
I wasn't able to find a vaporization temp for NiO with a quick google search, so my guess is that you'll melt your face off before you ever get close to inhaling the oxide vapor. The only real concerns are inhaling particles of the oxide, which is unlikely as the oxide layer is quite firmly attached to the coil, and the oxide dissolved in a solvent to carry it in the same way PG and VG carry the flavors and nic. This appears unlikely as well, NiO is listed on wikipedia as soluble in ammonuim hydroxide (lye, drain cleaner) and potassium cyanide (poison), and we don't vape those (I would hope).

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
Brandon said in his interview with Phil that one of the main reasons nickel was chosen was because it has a well researched safety profile. It is very unlikely they would have given the DNA40 the ability it send power to the coil at a level that would be dangerous, in temperature protection mode. I would venture to say 600F is well below the level where anyone should be concerned, as to the coil at least.

Steam Turbine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Montreal Quebec Canada
I wasn't able to find a vaporization temp for NiO with a quick google search, so my guess is that you'll melt your face off before you ever get close to inhaling the oxide vapor. The only real concerns are inhaling particles of the oxide, which is unlikely as the oxide layer is quite firmly attached to the coil, and the oxide dissolved in a solvent to carry it in the same way PG and VG carry the flavors and nic. This appears unlikely as well, NiO is listed on wikipedia as soluble in ammonuim hydroxide (lye, drain cleaner) and potassium cyanide (poison), and we don't vape those (I would hope).

The other option, of course, is not getting any oxide on the coils by not firing them above 750F.
Something to be considered before the media finds out...I'd like to hear more.

That's for sure...

I'd like to here more as well.

Heespharm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2014
Htown,tx
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread