Do all cartos dry out on the top when using them in tanks ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

sessiondrummer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jan 22, 2011
    USA
    I did a cursory search before posting, but ECF is a victim of it's own success (round of applause to you guys/gals), but gave up and posting this. VERY new to cartos (I like dripping), and have complaining (quietly) when using both Boge's and Smoketek's in different tanks of loosing flavor and TH after the initial fill. Saw a few other posts about this as well, and myself and another poster seemed to agree that after vaping a fresh tank for a bit, the flavor and TH did drop off, and after further investigation the tops of the cartos appeared dry even though the tank was very full. Topping off immediately resolved the loss of flavor and TH. Most times (you guys too ?) leave my device vertical, battery on bottom, d.tip on the top so the "wicking" would have to fight against gravity to wick up to the top. Is this how cartos just are, in tanks. Phiniac, Smoketek, and J-Tanks all yielded the same results making me think it wasn't any particular tank having a air lock or something to that effect. Any thoughts on this ??

I hated the EGO-T and went right back to dripping for another year, but it does get tiring always having to have bottles of juice, and drip, drip, dripping all the time. Seemed like cartos WERE how the EGO-T should have been. I'm not the best at topping off without getting a little in the airhole, which adds to the chore, and if driving (I do a lot) almost impossible to do so.

Any ideas, suggestions ??

Unforeseen

Admin<br> Commercial/Suppliers Asst. Manager </br>
    Admin
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 5, 2011
    Where you least expect it....
    It's normal for the top of the cartomizer to be dry when your using a cartomizer tank. The most important part of it that should be kept saturated. Would be the middle of it since that is where the coil and the piece of cotton wrapped around it is located. With horizontal coiled cartomizers. The coil is located on the bottom.

If you don't let the cartomizer rest after 5 draws or so, then the piece of cotton becomes dry. Which means that there isn't enough liquid to feed the coil. Therefore, there is a loss of flavor and sometimes performance. In other words, it isn't wicking correctly. So, a few minutes rest will help tremendously. You can also perform a few primer puffs to draw more liquid into the cartomizer. This will also help with wicking issues.

Whether you leave your APV standing vertically or not. This is insignificant since the liquid generally reaches the middle of the cartomizer. Although, this can be affected by the type of liquid your using in a tank. This issue can be fixed by either punching more holes into the cartomizer. OR making the slots wider. Whichever you choose, it's up to you. Just be careful, if not then it can lead to flooding and leaking.

Lastly, cartomizers aren't for everyone. If you like atomizers and don't want the hassle. Another option would be to use bottom feeders.

sessiondrummer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jan 22, 2011
    USA
    Thank you. Right now doing extensive testing the BogeXL's in the Phiniac, and it's vaping actually, .... very nicely. :) I never punched cartos before, and did wreck a couple, also blew through some CCreek House Blend as it rapidly leaked OUT of the tank due to a poorly placed punch hole. Will try to experiment a bit, but thus far two larger holes in the BogeXL seems to be working very good. Light is blinking on the Provari, must have been testing more than I thought. :)

Unforseen, what are bottom feeders ?? Comparisons to cartos and tanks ?? I'll search for it, but if you have any info please share. I will again admit to being curious about Zen's Z-atty's as well, but he's not released the Pro version yet.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 14, 2012
    U.S.
    I too had been on the carto in tank road, I finally have them going. If you notice that after a while they start slowing down or getting dry hits, take your tank off and look down the center of carto. If you dont see the other end like when I was new, its probably trace amounts of juice on the filament or wire. You need to very cautiously clean it off. You can try the needle, or use a piece of tissue rolled up tightly to clean it. I use a small dental brush thing, you can get them at drug store and gently push it in , do this till it come clean. I rinse and dry in between. I than put it back on batt and after a couple puffs it taste just as wonderful as when you first filled. Word of caution, anytime you put anything down the center of a carto you take the chance that you will damage the filament. I had been doing this for a few times with success, unless the carto was just beyond resurrection. Last night I went to clean my carto and used the brush and it was resisting a bit and when I pulled it out, the filament came out also. Oh well, it was probably one of the well used ones that I had cleaned and boiled a couple times.

jnnfrlsw

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 28, 2009
    East Central Ind
    I use dualcoils in a tank and was having the same problems. Now, I use my dremel and put in 2 good size slots, use a syringe to make sure the carto is completly saturated, then insert into my tank. It stays wet and doesn't need to be topped off. Before screwing a fresh carto/tank into my provari I give it a couple light puffs into a papertowel to clear any juice from the center airhole. Good luck.

Fiamma

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    So Calif
    I'm basically too lazy to drip or fuss with or mess with vaping gear too much. I drip when I DIY to taste batches and that's the extent my of dripping.

I'm a carto tank person. I use Smoktechs and Phiniacs. I use the Smoktech flanged one hole punched cartos in all tanks. I use a 50/50 mix as far as juice goes. I don't get dry hits or flooded cartos at all these days. When I first started using them I did off and on but I put it down to a learning curve in the use, filling and draw. That went away as I progressed. When one gets gunked up or loses all taste I pitch it.

When I'm vaping my own DIY, that juice is made stronger in flavor to account for the filler in the carto. I taste test it to very strong in a dripping atty so that in the carto and tank it will still have oomph.

When I put a new carto in a tank I needle fill it first then fill the tank and let it sit a bit to settle before I start vaping on it. Refills I just fill the tank and take some dry hits on it until the bubbles slow down in the tank. I don't top em off.

YMMV

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread