Do Batteries and Electricity Clash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
A kind of scary thing happened to me tonight. I tripped in my hallway and slapped my left hand up against the wall right on the hall light switch to catch my balance. Well I had my eGo in that hand, and when it clinked up against the light switch, a spark flew out of the switch and it sounded like something shorting out, sharp hissing. It was kind of loud, so I jumped and screamed (kind of a girl thing there). Does that sound odd? Was it maybe something inside my PV that made it happen? I've never heard of anything like that. Does anyone have any idea? Please and thank you.

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
Most switches will spark, click, buzz etc. if you turn them off very very slowly (try it). The sound occurs at the point when you are actually making or disconecting the internal contacs. We don't notice this because we always "Flip" switches quickly. If it works OK when you flip it normally you are OK. When you fell you probably only had it halfway switched for a second. Battery in you hand is just a coincedence. I am assuming that this is a correctly covered switch (wallplate intact). If the wall plate was not on the switch you are lucky you didn't get a nasty jolt!

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Thanks for the advice everyone. I 'm going to shut off my main and take the wallplate off and see if the wires have any melt or char marks on them before I call an electrician. It's a newer home, only 8 yrs old, but still ...... I have flipped it like I always do, and it's fine. I've flipped it slowly, and yes, I do hear the contact noise but no spark and loud pop like it did last night. Thanks again everyone.

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
If you have the power off and the wall plate off, besides the things you said you'd look for, look for a cracked housing and loose wire connections.

Huh, I can see this is going to take some time. I turned off my main, and w/screwdriver in hand went to the boogeyman. The whole wall plate is sealed, so now I'll need to chip all the caulking off first b/f taking plate off. TFIG and thanks Hoosier.

Stephaniems

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2009
I live in a really old house think it was built in the 60s, and if there is no spark at the switch the light won't come on here. Yes we have plans to rewire it all :).

Was it DARK at the time ?? If so you can see a spark inside of the switch plate on some switches ( usually older ones ) If you want to be cautious I would have it replaced just to be safe , you dont want a freaking house fire for sure !!!

Last edited:

irwink

CASAA Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2010
Norfolk, Virginia, USA
Electrical arcing and the accompanying sizzle/pop soumd is nomal in household light switches if the switch is turned on or off slowly. AC current will try to jump across the contacts of a switch until there is sufficient distance between the contacts. Want to test this? Go to a light switch and slowly move it to towards on or off position. When the contacts are close the current will try to jump the intervening distance. That produces a sizzle/pop sound until the switch contacts are completely closed.

Having your battery powered pv in your hand when this happens is no different than having a battery powered flashlight in your hand or a non-powered anything in your hand. Stop worrying about the boogeyman in places that he doesn't exist. I spent a good portion of my working life as an electrician fwiw.

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the advice and concern. I have a friend coming over tomorrow to check it out. Just to make sure everything is okay, he's going to take the switch plate off, have a look and then reseal it for me. Luckily I have a smoke alarm in the hall and pets to awaken me if all is not right (plus I'm a very light sleeper).

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
You could be like me - a static electricity magnet - I get shocks in stores off shelves, on cars, my fridge, light switches, other people, anything really - I can generate static like a MACHINE baby! lol

LOL, that's funny. That's also why I never wear a watch - they all go dead on me. I've burned up about 12 nighlights over the last year also. Somehow they fry, b/c when I buy new replacemt bulbs, doesn't work, need to buy the whole new light. The IT guy at the law firm I worked at one day got so mad at me. He told me, "If you fry one more computer, I'm going to give you a typewriter, now slow down." I had gone through 4 computers, LOL. For some reason, the only things I haven't fried are hairdryers.

Stephaniems

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2009
Hmm I think I'd wear thick rubber soled shoes everywhere and never go out in a storm LOL.

LOL, that's funny. That's also why I never wear a watch - they all go dead on me. I've burned up about 12 nighlights over the last year also. Somehow they fry, b/c when I buy new replacemt bulbs, doesn't work, need to buy the whole new light. The IT guy at the law firm I worked at one day got so mad at me. He told me, "If you fry one more computer, I'm going to give you a typewriter, now slow down." I had gone through 4 computers, LOL. For some reason, the only things I haven't fried are hairdryers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread