Do Bottom Coil Tanks in General Mute Flavor?... And Have a Metallic Aftertaste?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aphro

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2013
Minneapolis, MN USA
Still a total Noob, but not allowed to post in new members forum anymore:blink: Any insight would be much appreciated...

26+ years PAD until a week ago Saturday. I have been mainly using Halo Triton with 6mg and 12mg Tribeca. Tried other juice, but for me the Tribeca is perfect at this point in my vaping career ;)

So after reading everyone rave about bottom coil tanks, I purchased an eVic + evod + a free eVic ECA tank that came with the eVic. Right of the bat I noticed the flavor was about 1/4 to half as strong/yummy as the Triton tank. So I thought maybe my evod was defective, so I went out and purchased a couple more tanks. Used Tribeca only to make my comparisons...

Kanger eVod BCC - muted flavor with a strange after taste... kind of metallic... but can't quite put my finger on it. Overall a nice draw that is tighter than all the others. Would love it if the flavor was there.

Joyetech ECA tank atomizer - VERY cool vapor along with muted flavor. A slightly sweeter taste closer to the Triton. Burnt taste sets in after 2-3 vapes and keeps increasing until it complete cools off again.

Kanger Mini Protank 2 - the first hit is pretty good, still muted flavor compared to Triton. Slight metallic aftertaste. But every hit after that gets even more muted and metallic... then even begins to get a little burnt tasting after 2-3 hits until I let it sit and completely cool off. Visually stunning, quality is superb and I love the chrome finish. No metallic taste from the drip tip, but definitely present in the vapor. Again, would love it if the flavor was there.

Innokin iclear30 - there is a more sweet flavor closer to the Triton tank (I am assuming becasue of the top coil design and the long wicks), BUT that is completely overshadowed by metal and more metal taste * eeeyuck*. No more stainless steel tanks for this guy!!! If it wasn't for that taste, could be a good tank.

Halo Triton Tank - Super clean, unadulterated flavor. I taste nothing but the juice and it has a nice caramel finish. I do not get that sweetness with any of the others. Not to mention the sweetness is replaced with either a strange or metallic aftertaste. I also notice in general the Triton is moist vapor, whereas the others are quite dry in comparison. I winder if that has anything to do with it being a single coil, but with one set of wicks going through the coil, and the other set going over the top of the coil.

I also have a Smok Pyrex Aro arriving next week to try out, we'll see if I get better flavor with that. Today I placed an order for a couple of Kanger T2 clearomizers with 510/ego threads to use on my eVic (same as Triton tank sans the proprietary threads ;)). I will also install the Halo long wick coils in them, that way it should be a perfect apples to apples comparison with the only variable being the Halo batt (650mah and 900mah VV Twist) vs the eVic. If I get the same results on both batteries, then I guess I have confirmed I do not like bottom coils :( Unless there are other types of juice that excel with bottom coils, and the Halo juices just work best on the top coil Kanger T2 design.

Ooops... couple more things...

#1 Should I clean these new tanks with rubbing alcohol or plain soap and hot water?

#2 I there a break-in period for these new tanks?

"Bottom Coil Vaped and confused..." :tumble:

Last edited:

soba1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 27, 2013
Van Nuys Ca., USA
Just want to congratulate u.......way to go.
i say glass is the way to go.
for me cartomizers are a pain.
that's a tube that goes down the middle of a tank and with foam in the middle.
u have to prime them before use.
u can burn those as well.
it all depends on your settings.
I would try a 2.5 ohm coil and see how it works for u.

Last edited:

The Goo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2013
St. Paul, Minnesota
Welcome fellow Minnesotan. :) I actually prefer BCC tanks over top coils. I used EVODs for a long time and then started recoiling and re-wicking them. I've never really noticed anything muted or metallic aftertaste when using them (some juices have gunked up the coils quickly causing a crappy taste). I know I've ran the voltage too high and burnt the heck out of the juice though. I currently bounce between evods and RDAs with micro coils and cotton.

What voltage are you running the eVic at?

Aphro

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2013
Minneapolis, MN USA
Welcome fellow Minnesotan. :) I actually prefer BCC tanks over top coils. I used EVODs for a long time and then started recoiling and re-wicking them. I've never really noticed anything muted or metallic aftertaste when using them (some juices have gunked up the coils quickly causing a crappy taste). I know I've ran the voltage too high and burnt the heck out of the juice though. I currently bounce between evods and RDAs with micro coils and cotton.

What voltage are you running the eVic at?

Still chuckling over your avatar... too funny... we were a little fired up that day, eh??? :w00t:

I am using the following chart to match my coil and voltage between my eVic and the Hallo VV Twist. But, the thing is, if I turn the voltage up much past recommended by the evic (which is basically the center of the green area on the chart), all the bottom coil tanks start to burn the Tribeca. Versus the Triton tank, which I have the standard 2.2-2.4ohm coil in, I can crank it up to 4.9 volts (I measured mine, it hits almost 4.9v on full throttle):confused:

I just do not get it :glare: It driving me nut... Is there any of that "primer" on the coils/wicks I have read about? Or is that just on atomizers?

Ohn8o.png

The Goo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2013
St. Paul, Minnesota
I am no pro but I just did a test with a brand new out of packaging evod with tribeca--2.3 ohms @ 4.9 volts and it roasted it. Turned it down to 3.5vish and it was fine. Tried the Tribeca on a 1.7ohm micro coil on cotton in a RDA @ 15watts (which is about 5v) and it was fine. I normally rebuild the coils and wicks. I just finished a 12 hour day of work so I'm half alive here and cannot function correctly. I know there is a correlation..

As far as my avatar..I just turned 30 and that was my reaction :)
Feel free to shoot me a PM too.

EDIT: I used that chart for sometime too but I found that trial and error is best. To me, juices taste better/different at different voltages. Annnd..I always clean my new tanks out. Remove any residue. I use a tiny tiny amount of soap JUST for the tank portion. Don't use soap on any of the wick area etc. HOT water.

Last edited:

Aphro

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2013
Minneapolis, MN USA
I am no pro but I just did a test with a brand new out of packaging evod with tribeca--2.3 ohms @ 4.9 volts and it roasted it. Turned it down to 3.5vish and it was fine. Tried the Tribeca on a 1.7ohm micro coil on cotton in a RDA @ 15watts (which is about 5v) and it was fine. I normally rebuild the coils and wicks. I just finished a 12 hour day of work so I'm half alive here and cannot function correctly. I know there is a correlation..

As far as my avatar..I just turned 30 and that was my reaction :)
Feel free to shoot me a PM too.

EDIT: I used that chart for sometime too but I found that trial and error is best. To me, juices taste better/different at different voltages. Annnd..I always clean my new tanks out. Remove any residue. I use a tiny tiny amount of soap JUST for the tank portion. Don't use soap on any of the wick area etc. HOT water.

41 for me in April... wish I would have been just fraction of that excited :headbang::banana::rickroll:

Didn't mean for your to fry your evod coil with Tribeca... I could have told you it would... I already tried it ;) Tribeca is perfect on my Triron @ 3.8v, I used the chart to match the eVic so they would theoretically be at the same watts. About 5.5-6.0 watts. But, on a fresh Triton 650mah battery it starts out @ 4.2v and of course works its way down as the battery depletes. And even @ 4.2v on a fresh charge the Tribeca doesn't burn. It has to be that wick design with the second set not running through any coils, just sitting on top of the coil.

That's my next step, once I burn through the juice I will give them a throughout cleaning and see if the flavor improves. Have you ever had Tribeca on a Triton?

Aphro

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2013
Minneapolis, MN USA
I definitely think there was some residue in the tanks/wicks. Especially on the mini Protank. I am almost all the way through my first fill and that nasty aftertaste is slowly dissipating. So if it is completely gone after I clean it... lesson learned and I will clean them all in the future. Have about 16 Halo tanks and they never had any funky taste, so I didn't think cleaning would be necessary :rolleyes:

The Goo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2013
St. Paul, Minnesota
41 for me in April... wish I would have been just fraction of that excited :headbang::banana::rickroll:

Didn't mean for your to fry your evod coil with Tribeca... I could have told you it would... I already tried it ;) Tribeca is perfect on my Triron @ 3.8v, I used the chart to match the eVic so they would theoretically be at the same watts. About 5.5-6.0 watts. But, on a fresh Triton 650mah battery it starts out @ 4.2v and of course works its way down as the battery depletes. And even @ 4.2v on a fresh charge the Tribeca doesn't burn. It has to be that wick design with the second set not running through any coils, just sitting on top of the coil.

That's my next step, once I burn through the juice I will give them a throughout cleaning and see if the flavor improves. Have you ever had Tribeca on a Triton?

It didn't fry it :) Just burnt-ish. No biggie. I was just recreating your situation. I rebuild them anyways. :) I've never had a Triton. I vape Tribeca on a RDA sometimes which is wonderful.

Note: I was no where near excited in that photo. I consider that a mass panic face. ;)

Aphro

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2013
Minneapolis, MN USA
The Goo... Well, at this point I would recommend the next time you are supply shopping and have an extra 5 bucks to burn... you should try one of the Kanger T2s out. I don't know if the shorter wicks make much of a performance difference vs the longer Halo branded wick coils, but I have to say I get at least twice the flavor compared to the other tanks... so far at least... including the iclear30 with dual coils and 16 wicks ;)

Kanger T2 510/ego
1135.jpg

iclear30
30915-3.jpg

Kanger/Triton tank which has the longer wicks...
maxresdefault.jpg

Aphro

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2013
Minneapolis, MN USA
I use exclusively bottom-coil glass tanks, and my new love is the Smoktech Pyrex ARO
Definitely give it a shot
Smoktech Aro & Novas

JD

Kewl! Thanks for the vote of confidence... I'll let you know how she works for me when it hits my doorstep... Do you clean yours before 1st use? If so, do you have a best technique?

Jim Diamond

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
North Texas
Kewl! Thanks for the vote of confidence... I'll let you know how she works for me when it hits my doorstep... Do you clean yours before 1st use? If so, do you have a best technique?

Yes I do clean the new ones first, just in case there are any oils left from manufacturing. At least a good rinse in hot water .... sometimes i soak overnight in a dish soap, then rinse thoroughly. Hope you like the ARO. IMO among the best I've found so far. :2cool: JD

Aphro

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2013
Minneapolis, MN USA
I rinse them, then put them in a bowl of vodka that I have in the ultrasonic cleanser and give them a couple 8 minute cycles, then rinse well. No metallic taste.

Start low watts/volts, then slowly work your way up until it tastes good. if it starts tasting a little burnt, back it down a bit.

Is vodka better to use isopropyl alcohol?

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Never had that metallic taste trouble with EVODs, but with ProTanks - definitely.
I found you HAVE to wash them - and in fact vodka soak didn't do it - SOAP was necessary to remove some kind of taste from it.
Don't use soap on the coil - but on the rest of the clearo. So maybe your EVOD's are like that and need a soapy-wash too?

Also, I've found Tribeca is best at slighly lower voltage than almost all my other juices! So don't be surprised, just start low and raise it 'til it vapes good. (actually lately I'm on VW, but still, I'll vape Tribeca at a lower setting, often 7 watts).

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
you can use isopropyl, just rinse VERY VERY well... you don't want to go blind... I use vodka because it's at least a consumable.

No, nobody will go blind. ;)

I use PGA to clean my coils and 91% Isopropyl alcohol to clean the threads. But many people use ISO to clean their coils--the trick is to let them dry completely, which allows all the bad stuff to evaporate. If you don't want to use alcohol, dissolve a denture cleaning tablet in water and soak your coils in the solution!

I wash all my clearos before first use--gets rid of any unwanted off tastes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread