Do dessert vapes make you crave real desserts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
I have a cousin that is a chef. He said the best way to cook steak is to pan seer it, then finish it up in an oven. He isn't a fan of grilling meat, unless its a hotdog lol.

Yeah, I've heard that this is a great way to cook steak. You pan sear it to get the Maillard reaction on the surface and then (if you know your stuff) you leave it in the oven just long enough to get the internal temp exactly where you want it.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Sous vide?

Yes listopencil, and thank you, I didn't know there was a name for the process. I also didn't know this has been around for ages and there are machines out there that heat water to your set temperature. Really neat stuff :cool:

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
Yes listopencil, and thank you, I didn't know there was a name for the process. I also didn't know this has been around for ages and there are machines out there that heat water to your set temperature. Really neat stuff :cool:

There's a guy on a board I frequent that is very into it. He purchased a machine designed specifically for cooking in that style about six and a half years ago.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
There's a guy on a board I frequent that is very into it. He purchased a machine designed specifically for cooking in that style about six and a half years ago.

I saw this done about a year ago in a documentary on TV about food. I can imagine the result, a thin seared outer surface, with all the meat inside medium rare (or whatever your preference is).

I'm salivating now ... I really have to try this :)

Reactions: stols001

Paul Mohr

Oct 28, 2017
Adrian MI
"Which way? Oven or bagged?"

Oven, sorry you posted at about the same as me lol. If you are not sure of the core temp you can always use a meat thermometer. Actually with chicken breast I normally microwave them first so I know they are fully cooked. Especially if they were frozen. It also takes a lot less time to broil that way too.

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
I saw this done about a year ago in a documentary on TV about food. I can imagine the result, a thin seared outer surface, with all the meat inside medium rare (or whatever your preference is).

attachment.php

This guy seared them afterward. He also said that the coloring of the pic makes them appear more done than they were. Also they had a denser consistency than a normal steak. Different but good and very juicy.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
attachment.php

This guy seared them afterward. He also said that the coloring of the pic makes them appear more done than they were. Also they had a denser consistency than a normal steak. Different but good and very juicy.

The devil is in the details :)

And damn ... now I've really got the munchies :pervy:

:lol:

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA

I cooked 4 ribeyes tonight for dinner this way with a brown sugar marinade.

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
I've never had a dessert flavor that tasted anything like the original. For that matter, I can't say I've found any flavor that tasted like the real thing short of Atomic Fireball. My main vape is a blueberry red bull that doesn't taste anything like red bull, it's actually better.

With steak, a chef told me to bake, then sear but I'll have to try it the other way. Either way, it's getting a reduction sauce.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
No, sweets do not make me crave real sweets, but I'm a bit obsessed with raw veggies after not being able to really eat them for years, and I like sweet things but I am eating far less of them.

Also, it seems like you lot need a steak flavored ejuice... LOL

I just knock a bovine over

I wouldn't have taken you for a cow tipper, JFC :lol::lol:

Anna

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
7-8 minutes a SIDE!?
That's WAY over done for me.
Pan seared for maybe 2-3 minutes TOPS, and straight to the plate.
Broiler not required.
7 to 8 mins comes out med-well for me. I cant just sear then eat way too red for my liking.

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
You guys cook steak?
I just standing the cow and take what I want, eat
No, sweets do not make me crave real sweets, but I'm a bit obsessed with raw veggies after not being able to really eat them for years, and I like sweet things but I am eating far less of them.

Also, it seems like you lot need a steak flavored ejuice... LOL

I wouldn't have taken you for a cow tipper, JFC :lol::lol:

Anna

Live in the country...whatcha expect.
If anyone curious, yes it's as funny as it sounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread