Status
Not open for further replies.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Been reading some negative reviews on cotton & nichrome/kanthal drop-ins and I see a lot of reviews where people claim the coils might be DOA/taste funny due to being "old stock".

This sounds silly to me. But is it possible that an organic cotton drop-in coil has a shelf life even if kept in it's blister pack?

Last edited:

ppeeble

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 9, 2013
    Poole UK
    If they're really old they could be silica rather than cotton. Some Kanger coils switched over to cotton a few years ago - before that a lot of their coils used silica wicks as standard..That may alter the perception of taste.
    Or it could be that drop-in coils have historically always been hit/miss when it comes to quality - all coils used to be assembled by hand (which opens up a whole new can of worms), maybe there's more automation these days or better manufacturer quality control on newer coils ?

440BB

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 19, 2011
    The Motor City
    I would expect coils in blister packs to hold up very well over time. For loose coils perhaps a glass jar with a silica dessicant package, keeping out moisture, dirt and other environmental factors. It might be good to avoid freeze/thaw cycles that might cause condensation.

darnkarma

Jul 3, 2013
    Owl Hollow, NY
    I've been using Kanger coils that I bought in 2015. No problems or issues.

Same here. I've got years old drop-in coils that I pop into my old Protank occasionally when I want to test a juice. They seem fine to me. The o-rings on the tank are beat up and probably dried out, so if the drop-in coils have some sort of silicone or rubbery material, that might be causing a weird taste. Just a guess. Mine seem fine though.

Reactions: Electrodave

madstabber

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Concoction Creating Cave
    Time frame ? Did i miss some of the OP... o_O
    I was trying to find a reason why people may believe older coils are poorer.
    I didn't want to come across as condescending by using a blanket statement that disregards other peoples vaping choices. I'll leave that to others.
    I think by time frame he meant vaping has only been around for a decade, give or take, so in the time frame vaping has been around the coils haven’t had a chance to go bad. It would take longer than a decade for cotton or silica to deteriorate and in a sealed environment there is no chance of contamination. I agree with this statement if that, in fact, is what he meant.

• Agree

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Or it could be that drop-in coils have historically always been hit/miss when it comes to quality
    I've had 5-packs where one pack is fine then the next pack has two bad ones... authentic and all bought at the same time. The worst ones I've had were from e-bay... 3 out 5 bad, but even the authentic ones are "hit and miss". Generally the cotton was not in there right and had poor airflow.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I also am OCD about priming and use 65VG/35PG. After the first couple "duds" I started checking the coils for airflow before installing them... some just had issues (had nothing to do with wick saturation) One I could actually see some cotton poking out the bottom hole. Overall most were fine. When I first started, I learned really fast about priming... you never forget that "scorched" taste!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread