Do e-juices expire? What are the signs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asmani

May 18, 2018
Iran
Another 1$ e-juice. On the package is written 24mg while on the bottle 18mg. I can't vape it at above 15w without coughing. The color is redish:

upload_2018-6-1_19-3-1.png

It's supposed to taste banana, but it doesn't taste like anything. I was thinking of using it as nicotine shot, since they are very expensive here. Or should I throw it out right away?

Is the very intense throat hit coming from the nicotine, or degraded stuff more probably?

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
There should be either a "creation date" or an "expiration date" on the bottle. Generally most e-liquids should be good for up to two years if kept in a cool dark storage area.

Nicotine and flavoring agents will turn darker in color as they age or when exposed to oxygen. The change in color is not harmful, it's a natural process.

Justin L

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2018
Racine,WI
Yes as stated above, some but not all have expiration dates or a creation/birth date. And they will begin to turn dark colored. And I have noticed that some actually smell different over time almost like a old attic or your grandparents antiques with a hint of sweetness, idk it’s a unique yet distinct smell.

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN

denali_41

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Der
i once vaped an onz bottle of chocolate brownie from tasty vapors,about the time i was almost done with the bottle i noticed the creation date,it was 3 years old then,i had no problems what so ever with it,hell i'd do it again

sidenote,i bought the juice here off the classy's ,not from tasty vapors

denali_41

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Der
Is nicotine responsible for the color? There are 18 mg/ml nicotine shots that are clear. Does nicotine become dark by degradation?

depending on grade/manufacturer nic starts out clear or slightly yellow,after mixing is when it starts to darken
put that in a sunny window for a month and you'll see a noticeable darkening

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN
I have some liquids that turned dark over time and some that arrived that color. I assumed it was the amount of nicotine or the flavor but I'm a newbie really and am not sure. Just know some flavors can arrive dark from day one.
Yeah, flavorings are all different colors. I’ve ordered one ejuice in 3 different nic strengths, for myself and 2 friends. You could line them up in order from lightest to darkest in color and the nic strength matched in numerical order from lowest to highest. So I’d say it can be a bit of both, nic strength and color of flavorings added.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Some (and one may postulate) eliquids arrive with coloring added, not just flavoring. Dark juices CAN be the result of nicotine aging, but also, can be the result of flavorings added, not all flavoring is clear although many are. If it's a tobacco flavoring, or another flavor typically dark, well, that could be the result of the flavoring. Many liquids have born on dates, but not all.

However, if I was vaping a one dollar juice that tasted off, was dark in color, and was listed as 18 nic in one place and 24 nic in another place, I'd be inclined to not trust it PERIOD.

Personally, I would dump it.

As a general rule, if stored cool and dark place, eliquids can last for two years, sometimes more. They may darken SLIGHTLY during that process, and some liquids like NET or WTA may arrive with a darker color than clear, well, those are the general guidelines.

Personally, I would be tossing that juice-- FAST-- but maybe not so much due to its age (and if there is no "born on" date) you really don't know how old it is. It's the other stuff that is causing me worry, though, not the darkness or clearness of your elqiuid. It's really not uncommon to see SOME flavor change over time, but I would not vape a $1 juice that is as you have described. Etc.

Best of luck,

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread