Do I have to sacrifice flavor for throat hit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashes to batteries

ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2015
So I'm not entirely new to vaping but I am entirely ignorant. I've tried to switch from cigarettes to vaping a few times without much success but I think I've narrowed down the issues.

I went from a Blue ecig to the generic starter kits they throw at you when you walk into the local vape shop. I think my lack of success is the equipment. And I've tried to browse the threads but honestly didn't understand most of what I read. I'm a very heavy smoker emotionally ready to make the switch.

What I want is a good throat hit but still get good flavor (if it matters, I prefer sweet, fruity flavors). I want the regular cigarettes to start tasting gross to me. It seems thus far I've had to choose one (throat hit) over the other (flavor).

So I figure it's an equipment issue. I also don't want huge clouds of smoke. Something portable that can move around in my purse without leaking, that I can find parts for.locally and easily. I'm currently using my boyfriend's and I seem to have to draw on it several times before getting a hit, I don't like that. He says it's normal, he says the one I'm using is made to smoke like that. He says it's called a pass through or something?

Also, it seems most of the ones I've tried don't last very long.

I'd also like to be able to remove the tip for cleaning since I wear lipstick. And I'd like to be able to change flavors easily.

Please break this down into idiot terms. I'm supposed to go this weekend to get the equipment I need.

Thank you!

Reactions: mauricem00

UncleMike

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2015
Nova Scotia
You have so many options to help you on your journey and it's honestly personal preference as you'll get numerous suggestions on what would work the best. Not sure what your vape budget is but something fairly simple yet reliable would be an istick 30 watt by eleaf. It's got plenty of power for starting out, reliable and can take almost any tank you can put on it. A fairly good tank that's typically easy to find, has pretty good flavor and the tip can be removed for cleaning would be an Aspire Nautilus or Nautilus mini. The only difference in the 2 is that the regular nautilus holds more fluid so you don't have to refill as often. The coils are easy to change when they get weak or gunked up. As far as throat hit and flavor, you can still have both. Not sure how much you smoked before but if it's at least a pack a day I'd suggest you start at maybe an 18mg strength nicotine juice to help you get off the cigs. Also, most local vape shops will carry liquids with different PG/VG ratios. To keep a good strong flavor and also maintain throat hit, try a 70pg/30vg mix for awhile and see how it goes. You can then progress from there to more advanced vaporizers or tanks, also in time you may find that you want to change the liquids to something like a 50pg/50vg ratio as it's a bit smoother, gives more vapor and yet still has tons of flavor. Again, these are just suggestions to get you started. I'm sure more folks will chime in here and offer more suggestions. Good luck on your vaping journey :)

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
I was kind of looking at a Kanger Subox mini, but I wonder if that's getting too big for my britches?

the kanger subox mini is a great kit - very versatile with different coil options and the included rba, as well as plenty of power - not a device you would have to worry about upgrading any time in the near future (unless the dreaded shinyitis kicks in...)

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
Oh! I saw that online and it looks not that hard for that model!
its not a difficult one at all - and you can actually buy a 20 pack of pre-coiled coils (that usually come with a couple pads of wicking cotton) for around $10 or so Kanger Subtank RBA Pre-Built Coils & Japanese Organic Cotton

getting the wicking right may take a couple of attempts, though it seems easier to me with the upgraded rba section that comes with the subox kit/ tank - honestly, I just watched a couple of youtube vids on wicking the rascal and didn't have major issues with it - have rba's in a couple of my kangers right now, working their little coiled heinies off :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread