Do I need to use something for short protection (i.e. 2 cent or ShortStop) with Legacy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunderpersonn

Verified Member
Jul 4, 2012
Madison, WI
Hello Everyone,
Just ordered a legacy mini and I'm looking forward to receiving it. I'm looking for opinions about whether I should use a 2 cent or ShortStop fuse protection with the Legacy. Here is my set up (and no I won't stack batteries):

Xtar WP2II Charger (I do babysit the batteries while charging and take them off once charged)
AW IMR batteries (18350 and the one slightly larger 18490?)
Legacy Mini and Extender

Is it advisable that I also use one of the protection mechanisms listed above?
Also, I plan to order a Kick when they come into stock. Does that offer protection making the 2 cent or ShortStop unnecessary?
I don't want to blow up my face:)

Thanks for advice and opinions!
Dawn

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
Hi Dawn,

I have no experience with the 2 cent/shortstop fuse protection. For the price, I'd give it a shot and post your results.

They key to battery safety in general, is what you've posted. Keep a watchful eye at all time. If you head to Battery Information Table of Contents, Basic to Advanced -- You can also learn quite a bit :)

Scott_Simpson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
With a single, un-Kicked battery in a purely mechanical mod like the Legacy, it is advisable to run some sort of protection against dead shorts. The 2¢ For Safety and the Shortstop fuses provide this protection for very little money, and the fuses are easily attached/detached from the battery making it easy to move the fuse when replacing the battery. Of the very few things that can go wrong with a mechanical mod, a dead short is the most potentially catastrophic!

If you are using a Kick, which has dead short protection built in, you don't need a fuse, but it can't hurt either. One other thought: the "reset-able" versions of these fuses may not react fast enough to save a Mosfet switch; the one-shot, non-reusable versions react almost instantaneously. And using fuses with stacked batteries is a whole other conversation ... from what I've read (no practical experience), battery safety experts recommend two fuses with stacked batteries—one between the cells, and one at the base. I'm not nearly knowledgeable enough to stack, so in the un-Kicked Legacy, it's a single AW or Efest IMR (for the performance) and a fuse. YMMV. :laugh:

BTW, I don't have my Mini yet (waiting for your Black Friday Sale, Cash!), but I've been curious ... will one of these little fuses even fit in the Mini? I assume so, but I've never gotten an answer to that question from PureSmoker, even though I've asked a couple of times ... :laugh:

GRH8095

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2012
California
Shortstop info for the Legacy & Mini

The ShortStop Self Resetting Mod Fuse By Holocron Labs
ElectronicStix.Com : The ShortStop Self Resetting Mod Fuse By Holocron Labs - theshortstop

Will Work
The Puresmoker Legacy, using the shortsop with a AW IMR 18650 Li-Ion Battery (3.7v - 2000mAh) = fits & works with no problems.
The Puresmoker Mini, using the shortstop with a AW IMR 18490 Li-Ion Battery (3.7v - 1100mAh) and the Legacy Extension Tube = fits & works with no problems.
* No washers used for the button

Will NOT Work
The Legacy, using the shortstop with either the ...
- Tenergy 18650 Protected Li-Ion Battery (Rated at 3.7v - 2600mAh) = not enough space to screw down the top cap & no play in the button to fire.
- AW IMR 18490 Li-Ion Battery (3.7v - 1100mAh) = too much of a gap between the battery top & the top cap.

Will NOT Work
The Mini, using the shortstop ...
- AW IMR 18350 Li-Ion Battery (3.7v - 700mAh) = not enough space to screw down the top cap & no play in the button to fire.

I've tryed the shortstop on both my Legacy & Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread