do ICR's have any advantages over IMR batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Only more mah capacity over an IMR.

ICR batteries:

• :nah: They are not safe chemistry. They will vent with high pressure gas and flames, and possibly explode if they go into thermal runaway.

• :nah: They are low drain. Best suited only for flashlights or other low drain applications. Not recommended for regulated variable voltage/wattage devices, or when using a Kick in a mechanical mod.

• :nah: They have a low amp reserve, typically less than 3 amps. Pushing a battery past its amp rating can cause it to go into thermal runaway.

ICR batteries are nearly obsolete to be used in mods. There is more to choosing a battery than just picking the one with the highest mAh rating.

IMR batteries are currently recommended for all applications in a mod. Rechargeable Batteries

Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected ICR?

IMR batteries:

• :headbang: Safer chemistry. IMR batteries, because of the addition of manganese and/or nickle to the chemistry, are inherently safer than ICR cobalt-based batteries. They may still vent in thermal runaway, but are less likely to do so due to a higher heat tolerance, and will only vent hot gas. Not likely to vent with flames or to explode.

• :thumb: Higher amp reserve. A typical amp rating of 10 amps for an 18650 battery, up to 30 amps for some of the new hybrid IMR batteries.

• :thumb: Lower internal resistance. This is a good thing.

• :thumb: High drain ability. This class will have less capacity in mAh rating compared to protected batteries, but are superior when maximum load current is required, such as in regulated mods, mechanical mods using a Kick, or using an RBA.

• :thumb: These should be used in regulated mods that use buck boost circuitry to achieve variable voltage-wattage, but they are now also recommended for single voltage mechanical mods as a safer alternative to protected Li Ion batteries. Why High Drain Batteries?

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Do ICR batteries have any advantages over IMR batteries?

Baditude already spelled it out very well. I'll only add that I will not vape a ICR battery because if it vents I'm not sure it will not burn (sometimes explosively). I am sure my IMR or hybrid batteries will not burn. That's enough for me to stick with them :)

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
It would seem to me that ICRs don't take the price even in the higher capacity contest anymore. Are there any pure ICRs that have a clearly higher capacity than the Panasonic PD/PF? The 3400 mAh Panasonics, but they are hybrids (closer to ICR than to IMR, but still hybrids). Are there any ICRs that have more capacity than that? Actual capacity, not stated capacity.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

FireDragon1138

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2014
Orlando, Florida
I'm using 14500 batteries. I have two PV's, one is a Mini Lambo/Hybris, the other is an EGo-RS. Both are variable voltage. I'm assuming the battery in the Ego RS is ICR. I've been charging them using the Ego charger. the battery in the hybris is probably IMR, it's 650mah and costs about 5 dollars to replace with the identical battery (it's L-Rider branded). I'm not doing anything extreme, usually vaping at 3.5 watts and 2.5 ohms.

The 14500 IMR's I've looked at all seem to be lower mah. On the other hand, reviews of ICR's I've looked at sometimes have commented that the batteries don't last as long as expected (when used in flashlights).

I got a Trustfire charger off a seller from eBay and two ultrafire batteries. The charger doesn't work at all, and the batteries it came with have worn tubing and I don't want to try using them at all. So, I'm looking for new batteries, but I don't want to spend too much money on a charger.

Last edited:

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
A good quality IMR 14500 would work well in either of your mods, the IMR batteries may have a slightly lower mah rating, but will actually last longer than an ICR. Sound crazy? Nope, it's all about the effective voltage range for vaping...:)....the IMR will last longer at the higher voltage we require even if the ICR may last longer overall. The ICR may still have an "official charge" left, but if the voltage is too low and you can't vape on it who cares.

These would be a good pick...AW IMR 14500 3.7 V 600mAh - Batteries

FireDragon1138

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2014
Orlando, Florida
In the end, I'm going with some Efest 14500's. I don't think the amp limitations are going to be a problem with ICR's, but just the fact that ICR's tend to explode, on further consideration, is good enough reason for me to avoid them.

Do all Ego's come with ICR's inside? One reason I wanted to get into regulated mods is because I've read so much about Ego's overheating or exploding, and I figured in order to get a really quality Ego setup you're approaching the price of a mod anyways.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    In the end, I'm going with some Efest 14500's. I don't think the amp limitations are going to be a problem with ICR's, but just the fact that ICR's tend to explode, on further consideration, is good enough reason for me to avoid them.

Do all Ego's come with ICR's inside? One reason I wanted to get into regulated mods is because I've read so much about Ego's overheating or exploding, and I figured in order to get a really quality Ego setup you're approaching the price of a mod anyways.

It's good to be safety minded, but out of the millions of egos sold, even cheapo ones, with proper use they're safe and reliable.

The newer box mod, BilletBox, is recommended for use with the ICR's, but that may just be that application (?).

Last edited:

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 21, 2011
    Roe Dylin

While aw may be the top choice for 14500 imr, the efest 14500 imr gives it a run for its money.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I believe they are quite popular with facial reconstruction surgeons.

ExplodingCigar.jpg Yup, ask this guy!

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 21, 2011
    Roe Dylin
    Experience with both. AW much better results than Efest. My :2c:

what made the efest worse than the AW...shorter run times?

perhaps my AW was getting old and not holding its charge like it used to, but when i got my efest 14500s they seemed to hit just as hard and lasted just as long, and even had a slightly higher amp limit (as long as efest wasnt inflating the specs). but in the end, it was just a taste test so-to-speak because i never did do any actual tests with my DMM. i might go back to AW once these efests poop out.

^^scratch that. i forgot for a moment that i want to give the MBI Nukes a whirl. those sound mighty nice.

Stosh

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 2, 2010
    Nevada
    Candlepower forums has a lot of good battery information. They have been at it a lot longer than us vapers. The link I found was their own specifications from testing, not whatever the manufacturer is claiming re: mah, C rating or amperage. I will trust a well performed aftermarket test than anyone's advertising hype....:)

ScottChensoda

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 17, 2013
    Lat:51.53889/Long:0.14743
    Indeed they have but in fact the link you put up was to a post made by someone who I would like to think is a friend of mine called Henrik Jensen and whom I would consider without peer on the testing and reviewing of batteries and chargers. Here's a link to his website where you will find a plethora of unsurpassed information. A very worthwhile link to keep in your Favs or Bookmarks.

http://lygte-info.dk/

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread