Status
Not open for further replies.

highping

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Columbus, OH
To all new members that are thinking about getting into the world of PV's (e-cigs)...

Do not order "free trial" offers. Most of these companies offering so-called free trials are thought of as scams by most members of this forum.
I use the word 'scam' loosely, as they are operating under all the policies and conditions laid out in the fine print of their contract, so they are a legal operation. However, the shady practices they use qualify them as scams to me.

They will suck you in with the offer of free goods. Then, once they have your credit card number, you're hooked. After the 'trial period' expires they will charge your card for the device. Usually charging way more than the device is selling for elsewhere.

They will also start you on a plan to send you a supply of prefilled carts each month and automatically charge your account.

Many of these are selling inferior models at triple (or more) the cost that they can be purchased from one of the many suppliers listed on this forum. Do some research on this forum, and determine what model suits your needs best. Then make an informed purchase from a reputable supplier.

If you have already purchased and received one of these 'free-trial' offers, return it immediately! The trial period typically starts when they ship the product not when you receive it, so you don't have much time to act once it's in your hands.

Moderators: Can we get a sticky on this subject? It doesn't have to be this post, but this warning should be one of the first things prospective new users see. These scammers are giving the whole industry a bad name.

Edit Note: To anyone wishing to reply to this post and share their experiences, that will be helpful to others as well. However, please refrain from calling out any company by name. I would hate to see this much needed information have to be taken down due to posts that break any forum rules. I think just mentioning a company as a "free-trial supplier" is enough to cover all such companies. There are many of these companies out there now, and some even seem to change their name on a regular basis. The one that advertises on my local radio station has altered their name twice in the last 6-8 months, yet have the exact same script in their commercial (with just the name changed).

Last edited:

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
Excellent post, High.

I don't know if we're allowed to name names so I'm going to refrain from that along that this venue. But, there are two radio commercials here in NY that are played ad nauseum. Unfortunately most people that are unaware of e-cig/PVs and are hearing the ads for the first time fall prey. We've all read the stories here and on the other forums where folks find the forums and all this information AFTER making a purchase.

You give excellent advice, Sir.

Ryum

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2010
Tx
Yeah those free trials are a scam, hearing about a "free" e-cig on the radio is what prompted my starting to look into this whole thing.

Luckily I looked deep enough to see that those trial offers are a scam, but there are actual decent products beyond those.

I was just talking to a buddy about those trials today, we started wondering if those companies are run by big tobacco to try and taint the e-cig concept.
I know if I had got a "free" e-cig then got charged $100+ for that crappy kit I would be pretty put off the entire idea.

First impressions are HUGE and those companies are doing a good job of making a bad one to tons and tons of people

Reactions: Blueair

highping

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Columbus, OH
xdunlapx: if I saved one person from this fate, it was well worth writing the post.

I have to say, if there is one 'up-side' to these free trial companies, it's that they are making a lot of people aware that PV's even exist.
Fortunately, most ppl will be skeptical of anything 'free', but then will go google 'e-cig', which (typically) will lead them right to this forum where they can get all the facts and help to make a sensible purchase.

Angus...thanks for the sticky! Hopefully it will save a few ppl from some bad experiences.

Thanks for this. I got so close to doing a free trial the other day, but then saw they wanted me to pay the $10 shipping & handling. So I just said "don't think so" and decided to learn more instead. Then I stumbled onto this place.

So thanks for the write-up. It's informative and important.

It does suck, though, because a legitimate free trial (or even a "testers club") would be very helpful for newcomers.

Last edited by a moderator:

VaporVixen007

Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
Thank you, thank you for posting this! So true, I keep getting all kinds of emails, hearing ads on the radio and all over the search engines and facebook for free trials. Funny how they almost all look the same too? Bet it is all the same couple of companies. Friend ordered and was scammed for well over $100 and is fighting re-occuring charges now for some "club". Giving the rest a bad name definately.
Highping is right, avoid, avoid.

martha1014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
Delhi, LA USA
This is good information. They have 100s of advertisement on TV with free trial offers but they want your credit card to pay for shipping. You are right once they get your credit card who knows. Even advertisement where if you buy one you the second one free with additioal S&H and then this will be 15.00. This is all ripoffs.

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
I did the free trial route, but escaped before the 'trial' period was up.

Just today, at work, a guy who knows I'm vaping boasted to me that he knew where he could get a $130 kit for free! I only had to ask a couple questions before it was clear that his 'free' offer was one of the 'free trial' offers like the one I fell for. I advised him of why I felt those offers were scams. I think he was convinced. But, you know what they say about a fool and his money.

Like others here, I was unaware of the fact that eCigs is a full blown industry ... I thought the trial offer I fell for was the only one, or one of a few models in existence.

Bravo for posting this warning. Even though, without the scam capturing my attention I may not have discovered this forum.

Aragael

Jan 21, 2010
Weaver, AL USA
I definitely agree with you on both the free trials and the mall kiosks, but I do have to give them some credit. I first heard of e-cigs about a year ago from a mall kiosk when I was in another state, tried one at the kiosk, and was not that impressed at the quality or price, but thought it was a neat idea. More recently, I started seeing all the free trial ads, and decided to do some research and found you guys and a phenomenal amount of great information. I received my Joye 510 kit last night from cignot and so far I love it! But I never would have known about any of this if not for the ads and the mall kiosk. So I am very glad I didn't buy from them, but I am grateful to them for introducing me to the wonderful world of vaping.

Was funny the other day in walmart.
1 of the employee's I know looked at me strange when I walked up & blew out vape. While telling her to get to work.
First thing she asked is that 1 of those water cigarettes. Im like sorta.
Is more of a vaporizer and not a cigarette & its not water.
She told me they have been advertising them on the radio here locally.

So i researched it that night. Mind you i have had a PV for about a yr.
Found out they give you a free kit Basic kit. Most likely a 401.
then put you on a monthly cartridge list. and whoa the price of there cartridges was outrageous.

Yes there is many people falling for it.
This is why I wish I had plenty of different units to be out and about & let smokers give them a shot.

Would definitely take using carts. With a good flavor. & business cards to point them in the proper direction's.

BiancaMontgomery

SQUIRREL!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
North Carolina
Yes, I did this and got burned. Then I found this forum and did a ton of research and found something that worked out great for me...and for a friend that I shared the info with. However...I have two other friends who I have shared ALLLLL this great info with and they STILL went with a "free trial offer". I'm so frustrated! Why would they do that??? Grrrrr.

Anyway...this is my first post here. I love all the info I've found here and look forward to looking around some more. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread