Do shops in your area deny tasting flavors due to the flu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I fave local shop has all flavours for testing in seperate tanks and gives you a disposable drip tip to use. I highly doubt that anyone with the genuine flue could even get out of bed let alone go test vape flavours.

There IS a hole in those disposable drip tips, so they aren't total protection from getting the flu, colds, etc., nor from passing them on to the people who try that flavor after them. Also, people can be in the contagious stage of the flu, colds, etc.... without having the full-blown signs of it that might keep them in bed.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yeah, I gotta say I know they're supposed to be sanitized and whatnot, but that's no guarantee of anything, TBH. It's probably no worse than eating at any restaurant or anything else. With that said, I heard the flu was kind of bad this year, and also the flu shot didn't really protect from the main flu, either. Maybe they are just being cautious, maybe they have other reasons. Would they let you try flavors using your own equipment, maybe a dripper or something?

IDK they could be freaking about the FDA, but not wanting to call attention to it and whatever....

Anna

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I used to drop by the local vape shop and test juices before buying. Since DIY, I don't do that anymore.

I suppose that nicotine and possibly PG would minimize the exposure, especially with a new, disposable drip tip. Most germs and viruses that entered would likely be killed in the chimney and air tube of an atomizer.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Flu virus germs are spread by water droplets. Anywhere those droplets fall becomes contaminated as a potential source of the infection. So anything you happen to touch with your hands that is contaminated, and you then absentmindedly touch your hands to your mouth or nose, and you are contaminated, too.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Flu virus germs are spread by water droplets. Anywhere those droplets fall becomes contaminated as a potential source of the infection. So anything you happen to touch with your hands that is contaminated, and you then absentmindedly touch your hands to your mouth or nose, and you are contaminated, too.

This is true, but those droplets that fall on the coil are then heated to 400F+ which will kill ANY pathogens. The primary purpose of cooking food is to kill pathogens that could be in it and the max internal temp of anything we cook is around 170-175F. So 400F would obliterate anything. Add to that (as DaveP pointed out) nicotine is poisonous and PG also has some anti-microbial properties. These can help kill microbes in the juice, on the coil and in the chimney as it rises. I don't know if PG kills influenza specifically, but I do know it has been shown to kill strep and staph.

This primarily leaves the outside of the tank and the drip tip as possible sources of contamination. Using disposable tips eliminates one of those and the other is no more risky to touch than a demo Mod sitting out that an infected person may have touched, or even the door handle going in and out of the store, or maybe even just the counter top.

I will also add that I have only demoed flavors on two occasions in the 5 years I have been vaping, so really I guess I am just playing "devil's advocate" here. I just don't feel that tasting juices with a disposable tip is really all that risky, but it is your health so as always people should make their own choice.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I will also add that I have only demoed flavors on two occasions in the 5 years I have been vaping, so really I guess I am just playing "devil's advocate" here. I just don't feel that tasting juices with a disposable tip is really all that risky, but it is your health so as always people should make their own choice.
My perspective is, unsanitized fingers and hands handling store supplied battery devices, juice attachments, and bottled e-liquid can/will carry thousands of germs if they were handled by a contageous person. Unless the store staff is disinfecting their supplied battery devices, juice attachments and bottled e-liquid after each handling, then the risk of contracting a highly contageous "bug" is high.

Most people don't catch the flu by drinking from the same glass or eating with the same eating utensil of an infected person. They get it from touching a surface that the infected person touched, and then absentmindedly bringing their fingers to their own mouth or nose.

This is why health professionals recommend hand washing so often to avoid catching a cold or the flu. Might be worthwhile to bring some disinfecting handy wipes with you when you visit the vape shop.

I spent 35 years in the healthcare field. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about. ;)

Last edited:

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
My perspective is, unsanitized fingers and hands handling store supplied battery devices, juice attachments, and bottled e-liquid can/will carry thousands of germs if they were handled by a contageous person. Unless the store staff is disinfecting their supplied battery devices, juice attachments and bottled e-liquid after each handling, then the risk of contracting a highly contageous "bug" is high.

This is why health professionals recommend hand washing so often to avoid catching a cold or the flu.

I am not disagreeing with you, but if that is your concern, then you shouldn't be out in public at all. I mean those same infected people will be touching door handles going in and out of every store, restaurant, and other public building they go in. They will be touching counter tops, clothes in dept stores, shelf products at Best Buy and Wal-Mart. They will be buying things with cash that you might get as change. Since a person can be contagious for days before showing symptoms, the person making or serving your food at a restaurant might be infected and handling your food, your plate and your silverware. How sanitary do you think that menu is that you are looking through? My point is that you run the same risk any where you go in public with anything that you touch. It is not just limited to the demo products in a vape shop.

It doesn't really bother me at all. I am of the mindset that the more germs you are exposed to the stronger your immune system becomes. As a result I rarely get sick, and get the flu about once every 10-15 years and I have never had a flu shot.

Cas002

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2018
Omaha NE
PG does kill the flu virus, even in very small quantities...Dr. Roberts proved that in a 1942 experiment:

To determine how inhaled propylene glycol might affect the lungs and respiratory health, Dr. Roberts gathered some laboratory mice and separated them into two groups. He placed each group in a separate chamber and then sprayed propylene glycol into one, followed by the flu virus. In the other chamber, he only exposed the mice directly to the flu virus. The mice that first inhaled propylene glycol first all survived, but the mice that only inhaled the flu virus all died.

I get colds less often ever since I started vaping. Just an observation and definitely not a study :)

Last edited:

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I highly doubt that anyone with the genuine flue could even get out of bed let alone go test vape flavours.

If only that was the case and flu instantly knocked everyone down so hard they had to stay in bed the flu wouldn't spread so much. Some people get it and "fight through the sick" to go about their normal routine spreading it to those of us who are at risk of death if we get it. If I go down from flu I'll surely be sent to the hospital. Luckily I'm such a germophobe now I haven't put that to the test.

It is odd (but nice) a store is worried about it. The medical setting where I get immune suppression has me go to the check in where everyone in the building goes to touch the community pens that everyone touches. People getting infusions know not to go if they're sick but the rest of the building doesn't care. And lord knows sick people in the US can't be bothered to wear a mask like in Japan even though Dr's have signs and free masks.
I wouldn't touch a community vape pen let alone put it near my face, but that's just me.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread