Do shops in your area deny tasting flavors due to the flu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Since it is normally spread thru the air in water droplets, it is unlikely that juice testing is a leading risk. Per CDC.

"People with flu can spread it to others up to about 6 feet away. Most experts think that flu viruses are spread mainly by droplets made when people with flu cough, sneeze or talk. These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs. Less often, a person might also get flu by touching a surface or object that has flu virus on it and then touching their own mouth or nose"

"Most healthy adults may be able to infect other people beginning 1 day before symptoms develop and up to 5 to 7 days after becoming sick. Children may pass the virus for longer than 7 days. Symptoms start 1 to 4 days after the virus enters the body. That means that you may be able to pass on the flu to someone else before you know you are sick, as well as while you are sick. Some people can be infected with the flu virus but have no symptoms. During this time, those persons may still spread the virus to others."

How Flu Spreads | Seasonal Influenza (Flu) | CDC

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I don't sample or buy vendor liquids anymore, but when I did, I'd take a squonker with a bottle full of unflavored, and drip a juice I was interested in sampling into my own RDA. Then squonk it back to where there was no flavor left, or if it was a particularly persistent flavor, re-wick the RDA.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Since it is normally spread thru the air in water droplets, it is unlikely that juice testing is a leading risk. Per CDC.

"People with flu can spread it to others up to about 6 feet away. Most experts think that flu viruses are spread mainly by droplets made when people with flu cough, sneeze or talk. These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs. Less often, a person might also get flu by touching a surface or object that has flu virus on it and then touching their own mouth or nose"

"Most healthy adults may be able to infect other people beginning 1 day before symptoms develop and up to 5 to 7 days after becoming sick. Children may pass the virus for longer than 7 days. Symptoms start 1 to 4 days after the virus enters the body. That means that you may be able to pass on the flu to someone else before you know you are sick, as well as while you are sick. Some people can be infected with the flu virus but have no symptoms. During this time, those persons may still spread the virus to others."

How Flu Spreads | Seasonal Influenza (Flu) | CDC
*throws up in mouth a little* *douses post with hand sanitizer*

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Employers don't exactly make it easy for you either. A lot of places won't let you take sick or vacation time for the first 90 days, the last time I had a job with that policy, I had the flu (bad and I'm pretty hardy) but thanks to said policy I had to sit there, emitting flu, to all my new coworkers and they were ALL telling me to leave, but my supervisor was out my first week. I was like, "I do hikn I can... I doz hink I have to be heeer beoze I haz no vacatshum time...." So, I was definitely an "emissary" of the flu, the kind of flu that in NORMAL times, I would NEVER have travelled in to work, for my own sake and everyone else's.

IDK who comes up with those types of policies, but they aren't "good" to put it mildly.

Anna

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Employers don't exactly make it easy for you either. A lot of places won't let you take sick or vacation time for the first 90 days, the last time I had a job with that policy, I had the flu (bad and I'm pretty hardy) but thanks to said policy I had to sit there, emitting flu, to all my new coworkers and they were ALL telling me to leave, but my supervisor was out my first week. I was like, "I do hikn I can... I doz hink I have to be heeer beoze I haz no vacatshum time...." So, I was definitely an "emissary" of the flu, the kind of flu that in NORMAL times, I would NEVER have travelled in to work, for my own sake and everyone else's.

IDK who comes up with those types of policies, but they aren't "good" to put it mildly.

Anna
I would take that policy to mean: You have to take the time off w/o pay, not that you should come in and be Typhoid Anna to the rest of the staff! ;)

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
The workplace is definitely a place that a lot of people catch colds and flu in. An obviously sick person is noticeable and they should stay home but apparently flu and colds can be passed to other people before there are any symptoms shown.

If I had to guess, I would guess the main breeding ground for colds and flu is kindergartens and schools. Kids spread stuff fast and take it home as a bonus for mom and dad.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I would take that policy to mean: You have to take the time off w/o pay, not that you should come in and be Typhoid Anna to the rest of the staff! ;)

One would hope but I know a place that has no exceptions to their probation. They would allow you to reapply and would probably consider you in that instance.

Vaperer

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2017
The company I used to work for had a policy is if you were sick you where sent home. Six sick days a year 3 floating holidays and three weeks paid vacation. If you were sick for an extended time you would have to take your vacation time. I guess it was a better company than most. Of course they had to keep the other guy over 4 hours and bring the next guy in 4 hours extra to cover you. And it did cost the company time and a half money but that was their policy.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Nope, the policy literally spelled out that you could be fired. I COULD have gone to HR and spread my germs there, but basically it meant "No time off, unless you are hospitalized."

It may have had something to do with their training "program" and whatnot, IDK. But, no one sent me home. I saw it happen to other new employees.

Fortunately, since I find "onboarding" programs, deeply, deeply boring, it kind of made flu week pass easier. The dude who was my "trainer" was, in fact, really, really smart, but he talked faster than I could think, or at least write things down to remember them. Heh. I told him, "IDK how you train anyone, you need to slow down. Here, have a donut." LOL. When he left everyone was like, "Anna's good at training" and I was like, "OH NO YOU DON'T." I kind of felt bad because they (briefly) hired this PhD chick who wanted to psychoanalyze us all.

If there is ONE rule on a behavioral health team, it's that we don't psychoanalyze each OTHER. Okay, maybe our loved ones and on occasion spouse (yeah, that never worked out so well). BUT NOT YOUR COWORKERS. Because, it devolves into this endless cycle of suck, where everyone is counter-transferring at each other, and no work gets done with actual CLIENTS. Oh, I have certainly WANTED TO with all my HEART, at times, but that is one unwritten rule that NOBODY gets away with breaking. She got 'let go' I think. LOL.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread