Do we really save money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicgnostic_777

Verified Member
Mar 16, 2013
San Francisco
That's the basic question after having a conversation with my mom who also vapes and said after her batteries die she's done with vaping (with smoking too)...which isn't hard to understand considering all of the mods and apvs we've seen, but what do you guys think...is it time to stop touting the saving money claim and just admit that it can be expensive but that's ok?:confused:

Denyse

Verified Member
Feb 15, 2013
Goodfellow AFB
I think those who claim they are saving money are saving money, they are staying with less expensive pvs and either making their own liquid or staying with cheaper vendors. Those who are spending just as much or more vaping admit to that as well and I think either way is great :2cool: After 20 years of smoking it's completely gotten me away from cigarettes and I'm very much ok with the fact that I'm just now close to breaking even. If your mom can walk away from both cigarettes and vaping that's wonderful! I know personally I'll spend as much...sometimes more..sometimes less to stop from ever picking a cigarette up again :vapor:

GraceH

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2013
A, A
if it wasn't for the gadgets and goodys I'd be saving. I am new to vaping and building my supplies. I'd still like another good tank or two then it justs carto's and juice for me. I doubt I'll want to play with rebuildables. I MAY try DIY but thats way down the road at best. I'm seriously gonna start putting aside the cash I would have spent on cigs and just spend that on vape supplies. Then I can see how much I'm really saving. But honestly the saving isn't the biggest benny for me, or the reason I made the change.

Mariss716

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2012
WA
Definitely saving money here. My sig factors in the Provari I bought. Yes I spent a lot of money on that, but it was an investment and it's one of only two that I own. If I want a different ecig, one of them will have to go for sale in the classifieds. Now that my major hardware purchases are DONE, I don't see a need for buying much more. My RBA has a lifetime supply of wicks and coil for under $20, so although it cost me a lot in the beginning, it will pay off over time. Considering smokes were $9/pack, even buying $50-$100 in juice sometimes a month I come out ahead. And I buy good, but less expensive ejuices, not top shelf.

Like any other hobby that has elements of a habit and even an obsession, you gotta know your budget and stick to it. There are lots of people here who go crazy buying toys and I am sure their break even point is a lot higher.

And think long term. You ARE saving because you're not giving yourself cancer, COPD, emphysema, or increasing your risk of diabetes and heart disease. I have already done the cancer thing. Still paying for it.

Last edited:

heroinesick

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2013
Louisville, KY
Definitely saving money here, too. Two weeks ago, I cut my cigarette budget, which I had transferred over to be my vaping budget for the two weeks, by half, from $190 for two weeks, for $90. This two weeks, I've spent $80 (I buy on Fridays). Once you set the budget and stick to it, you can start seeing the savings. However, I'm also working with egos, and won't be upgrading to anything bigger for a while now.

Apoxing

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2013
Sweden
I think most people actually save money from vaping.
The people in this forum are just some % of all the vaping people.

I bet most people don't even know about all the mods, mech, VV, VW and just have their Ego batterie.
I for an example didn't know about mods until i came to this forum.

So if you are just into ego batteries you save alot of money if you don't buy knockoffs

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I used to spend $30 on a carton which lasted me one week. So far I have spent $30 a week average on vaping. I now DIY my juice and have a lot of good quality supplies on hand so my expenses will be going down significantly. I've never bought expensive mods or been one to try every new thing that comes along. Once I find something that works for me I stick with it with the occasional careful experimentation with new items. If I had been spending $60 for a carton, I would be way ahead.

KerryK

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2012
Madtown, WI
I think the industry is finally producing products that are actually offering great consistency and ease of use on the first purchase. Take Smokless Image for example or V2 Cigs.

One stop shops, that offer an all day quality return for a first time vaper. My wife and several of my family enjoy both and have been with these company's and have no plans on changing or "modding up" or moving to ego's or any of that.

They love there stick set ups, it's all they use and they are saving money..

mikediamond

Moved On
Mar 29, 2013
Los Angeles
www.nanoline.ro
  • Deleted by sonicdsl
  • Reason: Spam

stacee jaxx

Moved On
Mar 6, 2013
I live in here
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Bye-bye ... again

Offday

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2013
Inland Empire
If your content."not" chasing different mods......mod collecting is another topic. If you have a set up that works and able to limit yourself to a couple "go to" juices...that means "not" constantly adding to your juice collection. You can most definitely save money.
A 30 mil bottle can last me about 2 weeks.......so that's cheap compared to a PAD.
Just gotta keep myself "out" of the local retailers.....always buying another goody. Even if it's just another drip tip.
I actually had a personal best....went to pick up another bottle of juice...
and while I did look.at several other things....walked out with just my juice.
Yea

Lowlife

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2013
Oklahoma
If you have things that are still workable but you just don't like maybe pass it on to someone else to try so they don't "waste" money also instead if throwing it away. I know I am new and trying different things when I find the stuff I like I will try to pass some other things along.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

jhiga

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2013
Honolulu
I used to save money...but then I found this forum :D
Seriously, though, I used to be content with my Volcano Inferno (eGo style battery), but then came the ProVari train...and RBA's. Now I've got my eye on a hybrid, so I'm lurking the classifieds and a few websites.
I suppose if I stop making big purchases after this one, I'll be able to break even soon.
But it certainly felt good having more money to spend on my car, going out to dinner, and enjoying myself.

Analogs are really expensive in UK. At 50-60/day, I was spending about £650/month :ohmy:

It cost me £40 for my Ego/clearo setup with extra heads/battery, and another £50 for various juices. I now make my own juice, and bought £40 worth of ingredients that should last at least 8 months.

So, all-in-all, I guess I now spend around £5-£6/month. Bargain! :)

gbojar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Largo, Florida
If I hadn't turned it into a hobby I would be saving a fortune and in a lot of ways I still am. My problem is mod collecting, if I settled on one good mod and RBA I would spend next to nothing. I switched to DIY a few months ago and though the initial investment seemed high (actually less than 2 cartons of cigs), I average about $3 per 30ml, so that's between $9 and $12 a month vs $120 on cigs. So if I stop buying "goodies" all the time using a good RBA, which as another member mentioned in about $20 for a lifetime of wick & wire, I would spend easily less than $20 a month. Something great about ECF is the classies. I used to buy juice that I hated amd eat the loss. Before DIY I started selling them in the classies. So i lost a buck or two, but not the whole $10 or $15. Same thing with gear. The industry is still so new most good quality gear holds it's value, so after a few months I may sell a mod at 90% or more than I paid, and buy a new one. Now that I think about it, by using the classies I barely spend anything anymore, I just rotate my habit of hardware and DIY my juice. So short ending to a long answer, I save probably 50% or more.

Ojdo73

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
Trelleborg, Skåne, Sweden
A this point I'm spending more money per week on vaping than I did on stinkies. But then again I'm currently waiting for a Bolt, a VV Gripper, 4 18650 batteries, 2 chargers (one for work and one to have at home), a bunch of catomizers, a ton of juice, a couple of drip tips and a cleromicer with some spare heads. So I figure (/hope) that by the time I need to place my next order I'll have caught up to my old cig-budget and then some. I honestly belive that if you can ceep your inner gadget-nerd under controll vaping IS cheeper in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread