Do you believe as many teens vape as the news makes it out to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
You have to read the questions in the surveys. I don't think the numbers themselves are fabricated, but the way they're presented are. In fact, for any survey that reports numbers like this, before accepting, look at the questions, and methodology of the survey itself, not the headline.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Yes. Absolutely.

The WAY it's reported is the real miscarriage of justice, here.

Did you take a sip of beer from your dad or grandpa when you were 10? Did it make you an alcoholic? Of course not.

Why, then, does trying a vape once make any teen a nicotine addict?

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
Maybe they should shoot or imprison the teen vapers so the adults can enjoy a vape.
I havnt seen any teen vapers over here, they all seem to be 28+yr olds trying to quit cigarettes and the bulk of the ones I meet are 45+yr olds.

Disclaimer: I actively seek to avoid being in the company of teenagers. Theyre dumb and and they smell funny.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Maybe they should shoot or imprison the teen vapers so the adults can enjoy a vape.
I havnt seen any teen vapers over here, they all seem to be 28+yr olds trying to quit cigarettes and the bulk of the ones I meet are 45+yr olds.

Disclaimer: I actively seek to avoid being in the company of teenagers. Theyre dumb and and they smell funny.
Heh. I remember thinking the same thing about adults at that age.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole

Heh. I remember thinking the same thing about adults at that age.

I just re read my disclaimer. Sigh.
Its 42celsius in my backyard. Its hot. Im even more of a grumpy old curmudgeon than usual.

Fwiw, at 14 I had left school and home and was working full time. At 15 I had a license to legally drive a car and at 19 I bought some land and started building my first house which I finished building a month after my 20th birthday.
Its difficult for an old school guy like me to give a flying RA about someone elses molly coddled idiot child who doesnt know which way is up. I really dont care if they vape or not, its not even on my radar as something to be remotely concerned about.

So, yeah, obviously its still quite hot here. :)

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I just re read my disclaimer. Sigh.
    Its 42celsius in my backyard. Its hot. Im even more of a grumpy old curmudgeon than usual.

Fwiw, at 14 I had left school and home and was working full time. At 15 I had a license to legally drive a car and at 19 I bought some land and started building my first house which I finished building a month after my 20th birthday.
    Its difficult for an old school guy like me to give a flying RA about someone elses molly coddled idiot child who doesnt know which way is up. I really dont care if they vape or not, its not even on my radar as something to be remotely concerned about.

So, yeah, obviously its still quite hot here. :)

LOL ... that's even funnier yet ;) Hey Brother, I am the exact same way but I must not be as talented as you because I am still building on my house LOL ... I have built my house in the woods here and with ZERO help... In other words, i have built the entire thing with my own two hands....

I wished it was hot here... Tons of snow and ice rain.... Some day maybe I can live in a warmer climate (one can always wish) .....

Hey Brother, I really don't think it's because you are an old school guy who is grumpy.... What I am seeing is that society has radically changed, especially in the last couple of decades..... Morals and ethics have not been taught to the newer generations. They know little about hard work, respect, and many other good values that I could mention ... It's not their fault though as they only know what they have been taught.... But I hear you Brother... When I was younger, If I said some of the things that younger people do nowadays to their parents, my parents would have ripped my face off (too put it mildly)... Like yourself, I have little tolerance for lots of the youth (not all of them)....

Tonee N

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 24, 2017
    Nevada
    When I was younger, If I said some of the things that younger people do nowadays to their parents, my parents would have ripped my face off (too put it mildly)

My parents had a magical piece of leather that made a very unique sound when it escaped the 6 loops on a pair of Levi jeans, then when doubled over it made the sound of a 12 gauge mossberg being chamber. I was a quick learner of respect.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

rxhunter

Jan 19, 2019
    Here's a little thought experiment. There are ~42 million kids age 10-19 in the US. Let's say 1% of them have tried vaping - probably a pretty low estimate, but let's go with it. So that's 420,000 teen vapers in 2019. Now, another low estimate: let's say that 100 teenagers tried vaping in 2009 sneaking hits off their parents setups. Through the magic of math and hyperbole, that turns into "Teen vaping up almost 42,000% in past decade!"

Yes, teenagers are vaping, and yes the number of teens vaping has increased in the past few years. I think the only way you can put the numbers into context would be to do a study that also includes adult use (are the kids stealing Juul pods out of mom's purse), factors in population growth (the baseline would trend upwards in the US), and looks at how many switch from smoking to vaping, how many initially started on vaping, and how many of those who started on vaping would have started smoking if vapes weren't available to them. The problem with that kind of study is it doesn't profit politicians, the media, or corporate Pharma and tobacco (except maybe Altria now?). The one ray of sunshine in Altria's Juul stake is that it puts some lobbying muscle behind keeping vaping legal, so long as Altria's getting a taste of the profit. Better than outright prohibition.

But look at the bright side: if they force us all to quit vaping, many will go back to smoking and we'll all be dead in a few years and it won't be our problem anymore! Win-win!

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    I neither know nor see any teens vaping. But this is a small town, kids don’t do things in public that are likely to get back to their parents. So maybe they do, in private. It wouldn’t be easy though, because they’d need an of-age accomplice to buy stuff for them.

PapawBrett

Retired
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 16, 2012
    Monroe NC
    Are you saying that the New York Times (Russia, Russia, Russia), The Washington Post (Trump, Trump, Trump), CNN (Mueller, Mueller , Mueller), FoxNews (Pelosi, Pelosi, Pelosi), ABCNews (Food Lion bleached meat), CBSNews (Bush's Military Service), NBCNews (Juanita Broderick), or any other news agency would Purposely and Intentionally promote a falsehood ????

How dare you :sneaky:

classwife

Admin
    Admin
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 9, 2010
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    These studies...Oh they make me roll my eyes.

Have you ever vaped ?
    Have you ever smoked ?
    (curiosity type questions really and I think...useless)

Do you currently vape ?
    Do you currently smoke ?
    Are you vaping so you don't smoke ?
    Why do you vape ?
    (These questions would yield a more useful outcome)

just my own thoughts.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread