The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Do you charge your batteries new or use without charging?

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by Susaz, Aug 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Susaz

Susaz Vaping Master ECF Veteran

You know, I always charge my batteries when they first arrive, but I heard that the wise thing to do is to use them with the initial charge, and after depleted charge them fully. What do you do?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    Batteries normally are delivered to me at about 3.5V. That's a good long term storage voltage. I wouldn't start out using them that way as I'm usually pulling batteries to recharge when they get that low, so yes, I always fully charge them before use.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Izan

Izan Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    S,
    I'm the same way.
    I charge and go.
    Both internal and external, I want to start with a fully charged device.

Cheers
    I

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Agree with the above. Batteries are shipped at a low voltage for safety purposes. I always put them in the charger upon delivery.

There are some battery chemistries (NiCad) that needed to be drained before undertaking a full charge, but we don't use that chemistry for our mods.

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I tried it once (I forget why) and the results were super unimpressive. It's good for storage, not for vaping. I think I got like a 1/2 hour out of it? Something like that.

Anna

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Beamslider

Beamslider Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    Always charge them before using. They are shipped partially discharged for safety in shipping.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. madstabber

madstabber Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

I charge right out the gate. I got my first internal battery mod the other day and it showed up with 60-80%, it’s a bar so no way to accurately know, and because I was excited to try it I vaped it right out the box. Day later it was low so I charged it then. I don’t get that excited about a new battery that I have to try it right away so it goes in the charger first.

• Like Like x 4
  8. P3ch3

P3ch3 Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 31, 2019
    1: pick your stuff

2: put'em in the external charger, avoid using mod for charging

3: store them on battery cages, silicone ones or plastic!

4: use them close by its 90% total: never empty your batteries at all, reduce lifespam of your cells,

5: never leave charger unattended, charge over solid surface, prefer fresh ambience for this, and also avoid overcharge, once they are done, take'em away.

batteries are shipped with less than 50% charge for security reasons, give them a fresh charge and balance when new,

Regards,

• Like Like x 4
  9. r77r7r

r77r7r ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Always had lipo's and pretty much charge when I want, new or old, and never had battery loss issues.

• Like Like x 2
  10. ShowMeTwice

ShowMeTwice Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 28, 2016
    Milwaukee, WI
    I charge when I get them unless they are not going to be used right off. If I am going to store them I check to see if they are at the proper storage voltage, and top them off at 3.5v if needed, before storing.

• Like Like x 2
  11. tj99959

tj99959 ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Batteries are shipped with "Long Term Storage" charges (3.5v), and this has NOTHING to do with safety!
    It has been SUGGESTED that all batteries be charged before using.

No idea why they made that stupid rule, but who would want to start off with a 3.5v mechanical mod??

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  12. YorkMan

YorkMan Super Member

Supporting member
    Jul 17, 2019
    New Orleans
    Charge then use, I don’t have enough to store any yet!

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.