Do you feel like you vape more than you smoked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grad2003amd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2013
Morgantown, WV
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. If I am just sitting around watching TV at night (like I am now) I vape a lot. Not so much when I was smoking, because I smoked outside, so it wasn't as convenient. I noticed this evening though, that I don't have that "need to smoke/vape" feeling I always had when I was smoking.

bazmonkey

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2013
Oakland, CA
It's natural to vape a lot more than smoke, especially at first.

* There's less sensation to vaping (taste, throat feel, etc.), so people tend to overdo it at first.
* The nicotine alone doesn't feel like the chemical cocktail of a cigarette, so people try to overcompensate by vaping till they feel a nicotine buzz.
* Without having to step outside or take a break for a smoke, people vape more than they mean to because there's nothing obvious stopping them.

Some simple "fixes":

* Get stronger juice that leaves you satisfied faster. You'll start vaping less as you feel like you can go longer in between vaping.
* Put your vaporizer away when you're not using it, and focus on using it in little "sessions" like you would a cigarette. Partitioning your vaping into groups will make it more apparent to yourself how much you're doing it, and you'll naturally cut back.
* Get weaker juice and just enjoy it!
* Measure out juice for each day for a week, and force yourself to use less. If you purposely vape more and more each day, you'll crave more and more each day. That works just as well in reverse. Force yourself for a week and you'll naturally want less afterwards.

If you're anything like me, it'll go like this: you'll get the strongest juice you can to make getting off cigarettes as easy as possible. Then a month later you'll notice you're vaping like crazy and the nicotine is affecting your sleep. It'll be easy to cut back now, because now that you're off cigarettes you don't have that to mentally compare it to. Now I'm down to juice half as strong as I started with, and I finally vape as much as I want without feeling it the next day. I wouldn't have wanted to do that from the start because I would have been craving cigarettes at first too much.

Last edited:

OBDave

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I absolutely vape more than I smoked. I was never big on smoking indoors, and about seven years ago when I bought a new truck I decided not to smoke in it, then got a new car and did the same thing and eventually sold off my smoking trucks, and I didn't want to smoke at work (having two jobs as a real estate broker and a writer, you don't want to offend a client or source and some people are really touchy about smoke smell). But now I can vape on my way to work in the morning, sneak a puff or two here or there during the day, and chain-vape at night when I'm writing tomorrow's news just like I used to chain smoke - I only used to smoke 12-15 cigs a day but 10 of them were in one three-hour late night work window.

I'm not going to let myself worry about it, I have a bunch of 18 and 12 juices and switch to the weaker stuff at night...if I could find a 6 strength juice with any kind of decent throat hit I'd probably cut the nic back even more and just enjoy the vape.

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
One thing to keep in mind is that the analogs have 599 additives, with more than 100 of them being added for the purpose of increasing nicotine uptake, among other reasons, in the body. When you hit an analog, you get way more absorption through the lungs, which hits the brain within 5 - 10 seconds, and provides a real dopamine/serotonin dump. That's that wow feeling of "satisfaction."

Vaping has nicotine, but with much lower absorption through the mouth and nasal passages, and takes about 30 seconds to hit the brain, and with a much greater reduced "Wow" effect. Over time, the vaping craving is far less than the smoking craving. An interesting explanation of all of these differences, and why we may vape more and get less nicotine can be found here:

http://www.annualreviews.org/doi/pdf/10.1146/annurev.pa.36.040196.003121

Like Talyon said, we may get more puffs, but less nicotine, is borne out by science, and the method of delivery substantially reduces the addiction potential, or what is known as behavioral reinforcement. Do not worry, these are all good things.

gnik911

Jun 10, 2013
elmhurst,ny
i've been smoking for 15 years before i found out about this e-cig stuff. i consider myself as a "normal" smoker. i smoke after meals, when bored, when i need to think, etc...i smoke more when i'm drinking...but, when it comes to vaping, i'm like a .......ing fog machine. it's not realy the nic i'm after nowadays(only buy 6mg nic,12 mg max), it's the flavor and the clouds for me...usually i do 0mg nic in the morning, 12mg after meals,6mg all day and 0mg at night. i also think i spend a lot more on e-juice because i love trying out new flavors(btw namberjuice is the bomb)....so i vape more than i smoke not because of the nic but because of the flavors and the clouds...

Shizzle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2011
the burbs
definitely...i used to smoke a pack a day of m lights...i now chain vape around 10mls a day (yikes)...yet, since i keep the nicotine at about 4mgs, i'm definitely getting less of it than i did when i smoked (no more leg/foot cramps!). also, since i make my own juice, with just vg, a bit of nic and a touch of peppermint, it's dirt cheap. :vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread