Status
Not open for further replies.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Soap (actually, detergent) and hot water is fine. Sometimes there is some residue left over from the cutting fluids used in manufacture, particularly when the base is milled. People call it "machine oil", but it isn't. The stuff is hideously poisonous, usually-- there are a tiny few "green" alternatives-- but there's also not enough of it left on a machined part that's had time to dry to have much effect on an adult sized human. Tastes nasty, though, and some of the ingredients can be carcinogenic (probably not in microgram amounts) so washing it is a good idea. Depending on what type of machine and material being machined, among other considerations, these fluids are either oil or water based. Dawn dish washing detergent and hot water will lift them.

No worries and vape happy.

jim_87

Resident Forum Lurker
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2018
USA
On my RDA's, I put some hot water in a tupperware container with a few drops of Dawn, and stir it up. I let the rda's sit in there for about 30 minutes, then rinse them good and let them air dry. You just don't know what kind of potential debris or oils are on the stuff from the factory.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I put my new stuff in a jewelry cleaner full of vodka for a couple minutes, then rinse with warm water and dry with paper towles. I don't trust these Chinese companies to sterilize these products, and don't make it a habit of vaping unknown substances, even in tiny amounts.

Vapefiend

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Connecticut
Depends what I got and where I got it. Anything clone from fast tech or 3fvape gets the hazmat cleaning: hot water soap bath, toothbrush scrubbing, alcohol bath, more scrubbing, rinse etc.

If I trust the place I’ll usually just rinse with hot soapy water and vape away.

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
Back in the day, the chinese were really lazy about cleaning there products, and just about everything needed to be degreased and cleaned, sometimes more than once. If it wasnt done thoroughly, it led to the most horrid taste, that did not go away.

In the last year or two they have begun to understand what this was doing to their reputation and just about everything Iv bought in the last couple of years has come to me clean and ready to build on. But i still give it a good sniffing just to be sure.

BOL.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Most of the time I take everything apart and put it in the ultrasonic in a jar of vodka. If I'm grabbing the mail and running out it doesn't bother me to vape it. I haven't had one that was dirty, although any of the more questionable clones have been cleaned because they were more questionable. I have a little faith in the real companies. It's really not that hard for them to run everything though a washer.

Back in the day, the chinese were really lazy about cleaning there products, and just about everything needed to be degreased and cleaned, sometimes more than once. If it wasnt done thoroughly, it led to the most horrid taste, that did not go away.

Way back they used to pre-prime the coils with some really nasty liquid. Never tasted or heard of a flavor like that. I was cleaning and building. Some I hadn't decided on a flavor got primed with unflavored. That got me wondering what they were putting on them when simply PG or VG would've worked.

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I used to wash the parts in dish soap and then give them a good rinse. Years ago a lot of atties had oil on them.

The last couple of years I just inspect carefully and if it smells and looks clean I build it and vape. I have not found one that gave me any indication it was contaminated.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
After one (unfortunate early) experience, I clean mine. Usually disassemble, wash in soapy hot water (dawn is good) and then the Ultrasonic cleaner. Why not? Is my thought as I did not much CARE for the taste of machining oil. I find the Siren V2s to be a bit sketchy in that regard. I sometimes wonder if those complaining about the taste haven't washed them thoroughly enough.

Lots of great ideas here BTW. I think most of them (probably ALL of them) are going to work better than not cleaning them first.

I kind of also have gotten a bit vigilant about my cleaning experience when replacing coils and etc. (and the 510 pin) it's not unusual to get a bit of leeching/seepage, and I have found clean equipment works best.

Except for my CLR tanks, those I agitate as LITTE as possible (oh they still die) but if a coil is "reading" I am far more likely to NOT remove it and dry burn and rewick ON the mod, because frankly I LOVE that coil, but the tanks.... I've lost count of how many I have killed. I seem to be the only person who is having that issue, so apart from the ones I have catastrophically dropped, well, I must be doing something VERY WRONG. Wish I could figure out WHAT, man. Sigh.

Anna

• Agree
Reactions: suprtrkr
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread