Do you guys taste soap with TopVapor liquid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklyspeaking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2009
Arlington, Texas
www.pharceapp.com
I bought some cherry from madvapes and really like it. It's a very subtle flavor but is still very good and delivers a great throat hit and tons of vapor.

After I tried the cherry my neighbor ordered five bottles of various flavors (very berry is the only one I can recall). All of his liquids had a very strong soap taste to it. It might be some floral taste but it reminds both of us of soap. Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this? Is there any fix for this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SteelJan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2010
Austin, Texas
www.youtube.com
I normally get perfect juices from madvapes. But last month I got a couple that I'd bought before, but these smelled and tasted like someone had dumped a bottle of perfume in them. I let them steep, didn't help. Tried vaping them anyway, and they made like a chemical burn in my mouth. Something definitely wrong. I told madvapes about one of them, they sent a replacement, that one was fine.

Scottitude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2010
Metro Detroit
scottitude.net
I've not had any "soapy" tasting juices but in my experience, most TopVapor flavors, taste better at 5v than they do at 3.7v. Might just be my taste-buds.

Personally, I've never enjoyed tobacco-tasting juices and I suspect those that do may be more likely to find fruit-based flavors to have a perfume or soapy taste because they lack the harsh bitterness they're accustomed to.

As with many juices, to me, most TopVapor flavors definitely improve with a little steeping time.

ETA:
I vape a LOT of TopVapor flavors.

Last edited:

lefear

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2009
usa
I have to say that the 'soapiness' of TopVapor would come mostly from the large use of VG in their e-juice.

If you ever look at the ingredient list of liquid soap you would see that it is thickened with glycerin.
It used to be obtained from animal fat, but now thanks to subsidized corn it is much cheaper to just use vegetable glycerin (VG).

So, if you ever tasted liquid soap, TopVapor e-juice might remind you of it; since you can only taste sweet, sour, salty, bitter, and mouth-feel with your mouth (everything else associated with flavor is smell)
It is probably the mouth-feel of VG that is reminding you of soap.

To me VG tastes sweet since I tasted VG by itself. Which can be good if you like fruity flavors, but I like menthol and TopVapor minthol reminds me for of wintergreen than menthol.
Thats why I think if MadVapes wants to get rid of all the China 50ml menthol then they should have an all PG TopVapor minthol; I bet with all the same ingredients minus the VG it will taste entirely different - and better.

franklyspeaking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2009
Arlington, Texas
www.pharceapp.com
I've been cutting e-liquid with VG for a long time now and have never had that taste come through. I've also not had a tobacco flavor e-juice in over a year. I've been using Dekang Dr.Pepper, Cherry, Pineapple, Apple, etc...

I do like the top vapor cherry but the others did have something up with them. It might be a bad batch but it's not from VG nor from switching from tobacco flavored e-liquid.

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
I've posted statements like this before in other threads, (forgive me quoting myself):

...some of their juices have an overpowering scent, and usually those juices don't taste so good either. For me, their vape is more like a perfumey aroma than a flavor.

This sentiment applies to juices that are fresh out of the shipping box, and to those same juices after weeks of steeping.

TopVapor makes some tasty juices, like Key Lime Freeze, Triple Zest, and Butter Rum. But, to my taste, too many of them give me that "Am I vaping perfume?!" reaction. So, after trying out maybe 12 or so of the TopVapor liquids, I'll not likely be sampling any others.

ckone180

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I just googled this and this thread showed up. I have tried some topvapor flavors like Pure Orange, Rasp Lemonade and Cherry Limeade. The Cherry Limeade had a serious soap flavor to it. Maybe its the cherry flavoring that does it? 2 weeks later the flavor has lessened or I've gotten used to it somewhat, but its is still there. Their reviews on several flavors state this soap flavor experience too.

FsckCigs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2012
PA
Have recently ordered and vaped Cherry Tobacco, Menthol, and Mad4...not getting any soapy or perfumey taste in any of them (Mad4 does have *something* going on with it, but it's not bad, just likely an artifact of fresh mixing which will probably fade in the next few days as it steeps. Have experienced similar with many other juices). Not doubting OP's assertion, as I sometimes taste....things.....in other juices (though never in any Top Vapor varieties i've tried)...."chemical-ish" notes or saccharine-sweetness for example, that other people don't taste at all even when vaping from the same bottle...i just figure it's "one of those things" in those cases...taste is a very complex sense, and there are many things even in food which taste completely different from one person to the next. Not saying this explains the OP issue, just that it's one possibility.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
Not saying this explains the OP issue, just that it's one possibility.

It's a year old thread started 2/10/2011. It was right about that time when Hoogie explained about the flavoring being an alcohol base and how Chef Scott develops flavors. -- I've never gotten a 'soapy' taste, but I did have some cartos that brought out the alcohol taste in the rootbeer juice. That juice was fine in an atty or a CE2, but whatever carto that was I was using back then really made the alcohol stand out. -- Never noticed it again after that because the dual coil cartos came out and I stopped using all the other cartos I had tried up until my first box of DCs.

Also important from that time period is that they changed their mixing room. They invested in stainless steel counters and new mixing gear. Their juices consistency improved a lot right after that project was complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread