Status
Not open for further replies.

X P3 Flight Engineer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Moncton, N.B. Canada
I never thought about young kids around e-cigs until I read that the eGo has the '5 click on switch', then I realized that a young child could pick up an e-cig and imitate someone, just by inhaling. Perhaps there should be a 'lock-out' on all of them.

Anyway, common sense (as uncommon as it is) would dictate that everything, (especially anything with nic juice on it or in it, even empty used cartridges), should be stored away from easy child access, keeping in mind that easy access for monkeys and young children is very similar!

wyojoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2011
Wyoming
Have there been enough studies on breathing the 2nd hand vapor being 100% safe? I don't have kids yet but I would want hard, concrete evidence stating it was safe before I vaped in a closed area with mine or anyone's child.
There is alot of testing that I have read on the ECF and none that I have seen shows any problem with what you would call second hand vapor, because there is no 2nd hand smoke, only water vapor with E-cigs. You need to burn paper and tobacco for 2nd hand smoke. As for 100% safe, I don't think that there is anything that you eat drink or breath, or any medicine that is over the counter or even aspirin, and for sure none of the prescribed meds from the doctor is 100% safe. What is in e-cigs is the same thing that is in fog machines at the concerts, in baked goods and cake icing and other food products and drugs. Also in some inhalers for breathing problems. Both VG/PG are what is in a E-cig, with or without nicotine. I have wondered what I am sucking in sometimes, breathing camp fire smoke or charcoal and meat smoke on a barbecue, and no one seems concerned about that, not even the non smokers. Tobacco used by burning and smoking it is bad for you, and 2nd hand smoke in a enclosed area is probably bad for you also. In my opinion E-cigs are a thousand times safer than tobacco cigs.

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Have there been enough studies on breathing the 2nd hand vapor being 100% safe? I don't have kids yet but I would want hard, concrete evidence stating it was safe before I vaped in a closed area with mine or anyone's child.
It is not possible to prove anything is 100% safe... at least not without 50 years of testing every possible aspect.
At some point you have to review the available evidence and make an educated guess.

I've learned a lot in my years here on this forum, and reviewing all the available evidence...
I wouldn't give a second thought to vaping around a child.

I might consider stopping short of blowing it in their face so they can guess the flavors though.
:)

cbrociuos

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2012
N.E. Ohio
It is not possible to prove anything is 100% safe... at least not without 50 years of testing every possible aspect.
At some point you have to review the available evidence and make an educated guess.

I've learned a lot in my years here on this forum, and reviewing all the available evidence...
I wouldn't give a second thought to vaping around a child.

I might consider stopping short of blowing it in their face so they can guess the flavors though.
:)

thats quite funny. other than the fact i could see someone doing just that.

GIMike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Around OKC, OK
I've said this before in other threads like this one, education is the key here. Is it better to keep a loaded gun away from the kids and never teach them about gun safety because you don't want them to know you have it, or to teach them about gun safety, how dangerous it is, and what harm it can really cause? Which one would you prefer when they see it when you're not around? I'm sure we all saw things we weren't supposed to when we were kids. What makes you a good parent is doing your best to teach your kids the right thing to do in a wrong situation and hope you did good enough for them to make the best decision when you're not around. So yeah, I don't hide my vaping at all.

cbrociuos

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2012
N.E. Ohio
I've said this before in other threads like this one, education is the key here. Is it better to keep a loaded gun away from the kids and never teach them about gun safety because you don't want them to know you have it, or to teach them about gun safety, how dangerous it is, and what harm it can really cause? Which one would you prefer when they see it when you're not around? I'm sure we all saw things we weren't supposed to when we were kids. What makes you a good parent is doing your best to teach your kids the right thing to do in a wrong situation and hope you did good enough for them to make the best decision when you're not around. So yeah, I don't hide my vaping at all.

My comment is going to be a little off topic, but as for gun saftey. Even if you keep all your guns under lock and key at all times (which you should) that doesnt mean their friends parents do. Take this for what its worth. I agree with the above post; e-liquid can be as dangerous to a child, tell them the dangers.

ShogaNinja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2012
Ohio
www.youtube.com

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
Back by popular demand, the very commercial you speak of. Enjoy the trip down memory lane:
"I Learned It By Watching You" Anti-Drug PSA - YouTube

VAPE STRONG! :vapor:
-Shoga, king of all your YouTubes

And it's just as stupid as it was when it first aired.

My father smoked around me constantly when I was growing up in the 60's and 70's. I didn't start smoking because of him. I started because of peer pressure an it was cool. He had nothing to do with it one way or the other.

He never drank. I did. A lot.

He drank coffee like a fish. I hated coffee until I was 20.

No kid I grew up with who started smoking did it for any other reason than it was cool, all their freinds were doing it and the commercials got to us.

The chance of imparting a smoking or vaping habit on your kids because they see you vaping is somewhere between slim and none. The danger of second-hand smoke lies in the tars, not the nicotine.

I wouldn't blow it in their faces, but I wouldn't particularly worry about it either. The danger posed by incidental nicotine exposure at the miniscule levels that they'd be exposed to by your vaping is totally negligible compared to the hundreds of environmental toxins they're soaked in during their everyday activities. 10 minutes standing within 25 feet of any busy street or 5 minutes standing near an idling school bus or playing in a pesticide laden playground is far worse than what you're breathing into your household during a week of indoor vaping.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA

This is the attitude that's going to put vapers out in the alley with the smokers. You will NEVER get the level of hard concrete evidence to stop those who think of nicotine the way they think of plutonium. No matter what science says, the antis will throw sand in your face, manufacture doubt and create artificial controversy, just like the tobacco companies did and just like the global warming deniers are doing now.

In the list of environmental toxins, secondhand vapor has to rank dead last in terms of harm potential. You have a world soaked in chemicals and pesticides in the water, the air and the food your children eat. And you're concerned about trace amounts (if any) of a chemical that, in the amounts under discussion, is comparable to caffeine? Please.:facepalm:

genxblacksmith

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2012
Gods Country
Why we vape, where we vape and who we vape around are, by nature, sticky issues. Does vaping give us more freedom and/or let us make better choices? Our loved ones help us answer. What smoker has withheld or has experienced withheld affection with fore (golf heads up) knowledge of just having smoked a cigarette.

I have become much more huggable in the last month or so. I have become much more kissable. I let those who I sought not to offend move closer or they have moved closer own their own accord.

I am sappy like that. It's hug your Daddy good!

Thank yall again for sharing.

SolarGypsy

Feb 25, 2012
SE Ohio
My daughters are 11 and 17. The younger one could not be happier Ive switched and is now trying with me to get her mom to make the switch. The older one is happiest about not smelling like smoke so much. My wife smokes analogs but only 2or 3a day. I love that I don't smell like an ashtray anymore. I actually have people tell me that I smell good now. Depending on my flavor at the time of course.

moondragon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
I just started a few days ago (and am still trying to make the complete cut-over). Although I smoked in the house around kids, and my husband still does, I haven't decided yet if I will vape around my granddaughter who is 6 and lives with us. It's not over concern about the vapor - I'm sure it's much, much better than the 2nd hand smoke - but more because I don't want her to think its something cool. I think that I am not completely comfortable with it yet, and am still a little disappointed with myself that I just couldn't stop smoking altogether.

GIMike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Around OKC, OK
I think that I am not completely comfortable with it yet, and am still a little disappointed with myself that I just couldn't stop smoking altogether.

I've decided that I'm not going to use this device to quit smoking, but replace it. This way I feel no guilt over not being able to stop, but if someday it makes it easier for me to quit altogether, that's even better. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst. If you have switched over completely, there's nothing wrong with that at all. At least you have switched to a device that has, thus far, proven to be a MUCH healthier alternative. The fact that you have probably given your grand daughter many more years with you because you made this switch is nothing to be ashamed of. You have given up the analogs, and that's the biggest step. Where you go from there is up to you, but what you've done so far has been very hard for many others, who haven't had the strength to carry through with it and have fallen back to smoking again. Be proud, not ashamed....

RedFox

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2012
On the edge of insanity..
I'm kind of torn on this issue. I will vape inside my house and I will vape inside my car. BUT, I still have not vaped in the house or in the car with my 6 year old daughter. Simply because I never did it when I smoked. She knows that I smoke and that I have now started vaping, and by the things she says she is happier that I have started to make the switch. Honestly, I like to smoke...I enjoy smoking, and I too look at this as a smoking replacement with no plans of quitting vaping anytime soon. I do however want to totally get off of analogs for mine and her sake because of the health risks associated.

Oh and neither of my parents smoked or even drank for that matter around me and I do both. I agree too that it is a peer pressure thing and people start it cause it looks cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread