Doc gives the green light on e-cigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elle

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
Orange County, CA
i've been chatting w/ a gf of mine the past couple days about vaping, and she's very interested in gifting her sister with an e-cig (sis is heavily addicted to analogs, has been for many years).

my friend has lupus, and just happened to have a doctors appoinment this afternoon. while she was there she asked him if he had an opinion on e-cigs. this was his response:

"Shhhhh I tell my paitents to use them and I got my wife off of traditional cigs with them!"

8-o

She said the doc answered a lot of her questions and concerns, and even told her that in parts of europe nicotine is used to treat a variety of ailments but due to the bad wrap of smoking, this isnt the case in the USA. And according to my friend, her doc said that while he couldn't "officially" recommend nicotine, to his knowelege in low doses such as available through low nic carts, nicotine can be an aid to relieve anxiety and provide mild pain relief.

8-o8-o8-o!

needless to say she was shocked, and so am i!!

a doctor "SUGGESTING", the e-cig? i'll admit it sounds a little weird, and i did tell my friend that in my extremely non-professional opinion i feel if you can avoid nicotine you should; but i was really comforted that her doctor was comfortable with e-cigs and gave her the green light to recommed to her sister and other smokers.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
i've been chatting w/ a gf of mine the past couple days about vaping, and she's very interested in gifting her sister with an e-cig (sis is heavily addicted to analogs, has been for many years).

my friend has lupus, and just happened to have a doctors appoinment this afternoon. while she was there she asked him if he had an opinion on e-cigs. this was his response:

"Shhhhh I tell my paitents to use them and I got my wife off of traditional cigs with them!"

8-o

She said the doc answered a lot of her questions and concerns, and even told her that in parts of europe nicotine is used to treat a variety of ailments but due to the bad wrap of smoking, this isnt the case in the USA. And according to my friend, her doc said that while he couldn't "officially" recommend nicotine, to his knowelege in low doses such as available through low nic carts, nicotine can be an aid to relieve anxiety and provide mild pain relief.

8-o8-o8-o!

needless to say she was shocked, and so am i!!

a doctor "SUGGESTING", the e-cig? i'll admit it sounds a little weird, and i did tell my friend that in my extremely non-professional opinion i feel if you can avoid nicotine you should; but i was really comforted that her doctor was comfortable with e-cigs and gave her the green light to recommed to her sister and other smokers.

Elle--I showed my Doc my e-cig and the Doc said nothing could be worse then regular cigarettes with all there chemicals--asked for the website to boot (did not admit he had one in mind for someone LOL)--Sun:)

Denni

ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2008
UK
denni-schnapp.livejournal.com
The two medical docs I've shown my e-cig to (in social circumstances) both said that they are a good thing. One of two the docs is my sis. She is happy for us to vape in her house, but I have no clue what she says to her patients. I expect she would not actively recommend them and that her reaction would be the same, i.e. "Shhh, my sister and her husband use them ;)"

[EDIT: the other doc is a social smoker. Lol.]

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
There is actually a doctor, who is a member here, who not only gives out ecigs to his patients but is also trying to construct his own ecig model. He is from Malaysia. Things are moving along a bit slowly with his invention due to his other responsibilities but he is an inspiration to others here. And I don't think his work is done yet! Kudos to Dr Loi!

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...72-e-turbo-my-new-invention-27.html#post52953

Lu

Starlight

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2009
UK
I told my dentist and doc about my e-cig too, and showed them how it worked. They were both extremely impressed and enthusiastic about it and asked me to give them all the info I had on them. My doc said it had to be better than cigs and saw the e-cig as a good thing to use, especially for those of us for whom it acts as "replacement" cigarette.

My dentist's already told one of her patients about it, who then went out and got herself one.

Perhaps if we all tell our docs about it, it might help when it comes to any suggestions of banning it as then they can pip up and say "no! it's a good form of NRT!" and try to help keep it going?

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I've demo'd my e-cig for various medical professionals -- and use it openly in thrice-weekly physical therapy sessions for an ailing shoulder. I've yet to encounter a discouraging word. Two therapists wanted to buy one for their smoking husbands.

My physical improvements since I quit smoking a year and a half ago have been dramatic. The doctor doesn't attribute them to e-smoking, however, but to quitting cigarettes. He was quite mum on the e-cigarette when I showed it to him and explained its operation.

The shhhh attitude is simply because no medical professional could endorse these with all the unknowns involved today. If these had been invented by Big Pharma, they'd be hailed as super devices to help smokers move away from tobacco. But that's not the case. We don't even know who makes these! Three factories? In China? And what's in that liquid -- that hasn't been tested and approved?

That's why doctors will salute almost anything that gets a smoker off cigarettes, but pull up short of recommending e-cigs to patients. Privately? They have great promise. Officially ... what's the status with approval from the FDA again? Oh .... get back to me when they're approved.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Pete, it and everything of a similar ilk HAS to comply with rules and regulations. We have found a very useful tool that we think helps us to get off cigarettes, reduce our health risks and soften the financial blow of being nicotine addicts. But the people who make these things have sat on their backsides and not followed protocol. What kind of response does anyone think that will get?

Agencies like the FDA have a large responsibility for assuring public health and product safety and nowhere is it written that they must make us feel warm and fuzzy about their decisions for the larger good. If the devices are safe and efficient, they will find a market, and garner approval. If they are neither, they deserve to disappear amid the loud whines that will rise up from present users.

Lay this problem squarely on the sellers of e-devices. They are doing so without any knowledge and/or approval. Let's hope at least one sees what needs to be done .. and does it. The others can be left stuck with stock for all I care. They'll just sell it in China instead of here.

The FDA's notices have clearly presented their position. This is not a nomenclature game. It's not about half full or half empty glasses, or rose-colored or dark glasses, or optimism versus pessimism. It's about law. And regulations. And complying with rules that serve the most people.

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
T Bob I think I do understand what you are saying..... all the rules and regulations are only there for all the right reasons and are something we should be grateful for ...and yet I think e-cigarettes would probably have never made it to the public 'us' if they had followed all those rules and regulations....with any luck they will now find a way to fit them into some sort of system of rules,regulations and control that makes them as safe as possible without making it outrageously expensive or become far too controlled to be easily available. I certainly don't want it to end up being something like having to go to the doctors and have a full medical and have an e-cigarette prescription, with metered and monitored doses of nicotine as recommended by my doctor. I would sooner go back to smoking tobacco if it's too much hassle.

taz3cat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2008
Port Arthur, Texas
My family doctor, my heart doctor and my lung doctor are all very happy with my e-smoking. My heart doctor insisted that I fax his staff with information on where to get them and the forums. My family doctor, nurse and I was on the internet looking so, they would know where to get them and exactly what they were called. I just remembered my dentist want me to give him the information when I go back nexted week. I don't think it will be a big hassle if it comes to a having to get a RX for them, but I would still hate that.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
I knew I had heard that vaping cures ingrown toenails Davey ;)

News.jpg

taz3cat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2008
Port Arthur, Texas
Kate would not pull our legs. she always tells the truth and I have a BBC feed on my main page so I woud have looked it up, because it dose look a little strange. But I could not read it without inlarging it or getting the orginal.

Besides Kate put it on the internet so it must be true, everything on the net is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread