Doc's Homebrew PV power source gadgets......

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Doc

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2009
Torrington, CT 06790
OK, the 4 photos WILL NOT UPLOAD HERE.....BECAUSE I ALREADY UPLOADED THEM AT THE FOLLOWING LOCATION:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/litecig/31635-docs-homebrew-vx2-gadget-photos.html

I thought it might be nice to show some basic examples of the very simple DIY gadgets I’ve whipped up in a pinch…….since I started vaping on 18JULY2009.

I never have been a big fan of buying stockpiles of ultra low current OEM (Original Equipment Manufactured) batteries. OEM batteries do have their place, but I feel they should be used in due moderation if they are expected to have a considerable lifespan.

If I’m going to be seen vaping in a highly visible public setting, it definitely looks best to use the OEM batteries. Whether using the manual or automatic type, the new improved design works well....AND it just represents the entire concept of Mini ecigs in a very pleasantly portable portrayal…just as the designers and manufacturers intended upon.

HOWEVER…IF you are like me….and want to CONSERVE the lifespan of those cute little OEM batteries, you might consider more conventional power sources with as FEW LIMMITATIONS as possible. When I'm lounging around and vaping heavily at home....or going for a long country ride on my motorcycle, I carry these various homebrewed adapters and rechargeable battery packs/holders. Not only do they give me HIGHLY EXTENDED RUN TIMES, but they were all simple and inexpensive to set up ……..AND they can be recharged far more times than ANY of the OEM batteries supplied with/for my Mini ecigs & kits (VX2 series in this case). Also let it be noted that I use the very same gadgets to run my 2 Mini Pipes, since they are drilled, wired & fitted with the very same “ADAPTAPLUG” DC connectors. I actually SOLD all my OEM Mini Pipe batteries & chargers, because I simply have no use for them anymore.

The item at far left should be relatively self explanatory. It is simply a USB plug with an inline manual switch with a female DC connector (Radio Shack 2 pin ADAPTAPLUG harness). The advantage here is that I can get the FULL 5VDC @ 500mA into my atomizer…RATHER that being stuck with the limiter/regulator circuit in the OEM type USB passthrough device. This gives FAR SUPERIOR VAPOR, however you need to be quick on the manual switch and let the atomizer cool a bit after a few hits/drags….because a HOT atty will tend to start losing the ability to produce good flavor. This must be kept in mind whenever using ANY vaping power source with increased power capabilities. I have generally found that overheating ANY atomizer will shorten atty lifespan and kill the production of good flavor. FUNNY how so many folks will post their “REVIEWS” on various vaping juices….while FAILING to try VARIOUS PV devices!! PV devices vary in atty voltage, temp and performance…which has a very DIRECT EFFECT upon flavor AND vapor production. There are vaping juices that taste GREAT using my rather cool running VX2 units, yet the very same juices have NO FLAVOR at all when vaping them with my Mini Pipes.

The 2nd item from left is a 4x “AA” battery holder with a manual tact switch and DC connector….again, very self explanatory. If you care about flavor more than vapor production, run it on 3 AA cells (and bypass one of them). If you care about vapor production & throat hit much more than flavor production, run it on 4 AA cells.

The 3rd device from left is a modified “UNI-BALL PV PEN", made specifically for a VX2 series “Mini ecig”. I dissected the AUTOMATIC OEM VX2 PASSTHROUGH and used the parts to make TWO custom gadgets. The threaded brass connector was used to make my “UNI-BALL PV PEN” (AWESOME for MEGA-DRIPPING)…….and the USB plug/cable was used to make my DIRECT USB ADAPTER with inline manual switch (shown far left). IF you forget to turn the manual switch off, you WILL RAPIDLY KILL your atomizer!

The big item at far right is just a bunch of rechargeable NiCad AA cells, which I gutted from some R/C toy packs found on clearance (SUPER CHEAP) at Radio Shack. I disassembled 2 of the 9.6V packs (8 cells each) to make 4 inline 4.8V packs…then I put the four 4.8V packs in parallel….to make a single 4.8V pack, rated at 4,000mA……..that is 4 AMPS of current storage…..in other words, A HELLUVA LOTTA VAPING before recharging is needed! As you can see, the same kind of ADAPTAPLUG connector is used…..only this cord & connector differ in color. This is an AWESOME item to stuff into my tank bag when I go for those long weekend rides on my motorcycle! NO NEED to bring any other batteries of any kind!!!

OK, I hope I’ve inspired the DIYer in YOU.....It's a very rewarding thing!!!

Please bear in mind that basic soldering irons are not very expensive at Radio Shack. Small size/gauge shrink tubing is also relatively inexpensive. I don’t cover ANY of my wiring with electrical tape…it’s just too messy and unreliable. Be sure to trim and install your shrink tubing BEFORE soldering any connections!

BTW: The VX2-M kits are found at LiteCigUSA.....and they ROCK if you like relatively small ecigs with good vapor and flavor production...plus Shawn usually gives great "perks" and ships VERY FAST!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread