Not open for further replies.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
A doctor in Gateshead, Newcastle, UK has stated he thinks e-cigarette use could be linked to the death of a man from lipoid pneumonia.

BBC News - Gateshead doctor calls for research into 'e-cigarettes'

This is normally associated with the frequent use of paraffin by older people or infants to treat constipation, so in the first place any paraffin use would have to be ruled out.

There is no other recorded case of lipoid pneumonia attributed to e-cigarette use, so this does not seem the most likely cause at first.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
The inquest has already been concluded, so anyone could come up with any theory they want. My theory is that the man's death was iatrogenic. His doctor must have caused his death. Especially if the doctor had prescribed mineral oil laxatives.

Recent study was conducted on two illustrative cases of Lipoid pneumonia are reviewed. In an internal medicine ward, two cases of lipoid pneumonia were diagnosed within half a year. The patients were elderly and the lipoid pneumonia was associated with the use of mineral oil as a laxative agent. The computerized tomography that was conducted revealed bilateral low attenuation infiltrates, associated with a "crazy paving" pattern in one case. Both the cases were diagnosed by using Sudan Black staining procedure-in one on a transbronchial biopsy specimen, and in the other on sputum cytologic examination. Both the patients were suffering from neurologic diseases, and both were at risk of aspiration.
Pneumonia : Lipoid Pneumonia

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
It could probably be confirmed pretty easily by testing the ingredients in his e-liquid or even asking the supplier. It's indeed unlikely that a lipid was used at all, not many flavoring companies use it as a base, and I doubt they lend well to vaping.

Plus, these would be non volatile oils, which to my basic understanding means they don't vaporise. If you did use say an oil based e-liquid flavouring, it would presumably eventually burn on the coil and give out fairly nasty fumes? Vegetable oil or mineral oil when heated doesn't vaporise - if they did, they would not be much good for cooking or lubricating engines etc. I don't really see how this could have been caused by an e-cig.

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA

JerryRM

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2009
Rhode Island
We were discussing that at length on the All About forum today. The man died last August, was a heavy smoker for decades, vaped for less than a year. The coroner recorded an "open verdict" as to cause of death. There is no evidence to accuse vaping for his death. Someone is grasping at straws, or it's shoddy reporting, something I never expected from the BBC.

Nikhil

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2010
Louisville, KY
Plus, these would be non volatile oils, which to my basic understanding means they don't vaporise. If you did use say an oil based e-liquid flavouring, it would presumably eventually burn on the coil and give out fairly nasty fumes? Vegetable oil or mineral oil when heated doesn't vaporise - if they did, they would not be much good for cooking or lubricating engines etc. I don't really see how this could have been caused by an e-cig.
Yes, an example is getsuckered which sells flavors for making candy such as suckers in a soybean oil base. I agree it is a next to impossible hypothesis, but it wouldn't be difficult to give to the e-cig an innocent verdict through testing of the liquid, and might turn this into something positive.

Toby

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2008
York UK
www.ivapour.co.uk
Someone is grasping at straws, or it's shoddy reporting, something I never expected from the BBC.
Unfortunately, mistruths and sensationalism at best, downright lies at worst, is something I have always come to expect from the media in general worldwide, no matter what institution...

dagnagan

Jan 23, 2009
Southeast U.S.
This is another example of the willingness of the antis to distort, exaggerate and lie in furtherance of their cause, and the media's willingness to enable them. I used to work at a newspaper, and I had a conversation once with a reporter about the credulity with which advocates of causes the paper supported -- anti-racism, environmentalism, anti-smoking -- were treated. Don't you think someone devoted to a righteous cause might need to be subjected to the same skepticism as a politician or a corporate spokesman? Is it possible that a crusader might think the ends justify the means, and a few white lies are necessary? Do you ever consider what it is that advocates, by definition, do? She just looked at me.

MoonRose

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Indiana, USA
This particular article Lipoid Pneumonia : Lipoid Pneumonia Causes seems to be very comprehensive about the causes of Lipoid Pneumonia

Lipoid Pneumonia Causes

Exogenous lipoid pneumonia

Most patients with exogenous lipoid pneumonia are elderly, usually in the late sixth or seventh decade of life. However, infants and mentally ......ed persons are also prone to this condition. The factors that predispose a person to contracting this disease are an impaired swallowing mechanism caused by neurological and esophageal disorders, and the consistent use of the various kinds of oils – mineral, animal, and less commonly, the vegetable oils found in laxatives, nasal drops, mouth spray, oral lubricants, insecticides or traditional folk remedies. Lipid pneumonia also happens to be an occupational fire hazard of fire eaters. The irritation causing agent enters the lungs through aspiration, inhalation or during procedures which involve the use of iodized vegetable oils used as a radiopaque medium, such as lymphangiography, bronchography, hysterosalpingography, myelography or uterography.

Even though vegetable oils are mostly expectorated, residual elements often get blended in and can lead to exogenous lipoid pneumonia. Composed of liquid petroleum or paraffin, mineral oil is a mixture of long chain saturated hydrocarbons. It irritates the lung tissue and causes a diffuse parenchymal reaction or the development of localized masses called paraffinomas. Of all these substances animal fats are the most harmful to lung tissue. This is so because they are hydrolyzed by lipase in the pulmonary cells and broken down into free fatty acids, which could cause a severe inflammatory reaction and tissue necrosis. This process has been observed in infants and children with exogenous lipoid pneumonia to be a result of force feeding of animal fat (ghee), a cultural practice in Saudi Arabia.

When oil enters the lung, there are 3stages in the pathologic process that leads to the development of exogenous lipoid pneumonia. The first stage consists of a toxic agitation of capillary endothelium with plasma exuding into the alveoli. In the next stage, alveolar and interstitial macrophages get activated then phagocytose and degrade the oil.In the final stage, fibrointerstitial and granulomatous reactions develop. Depending on the quality and quantity of oil present, these stages vary in severity. With the inhalation of animal fat, the high lipid content represses phagocytosis, leaving the pulmonary lymphocytes as the main cells responsible for the removal of the inhaled fat. In such cases, fat-laden macrophages and prominent pleural lymphocytes can be observed on histologic examination and which could easily lead to the mistaken diagnosis of lymphatic carcinomatosis.

Endogenous lipoid pneumonia

Also called cholesterol pneumonitis, endogenous lipoid pneumonia is caused by the collection of intrinsic lipids in the lungs. It is generally observed in persons with chronic bronchial obstruction similar to tumors or foreign bodies. Other risk factors include fat embolism, pulmonary alveolar proteinosis, lipid storage diseases such as Gaucher's disease and Niemann-Pick disease and disseminated lipogranulomatosis.

Endogenous lipoid pneumonia has also been observed in patients with Hodgkins disease. A 5 year old child with a serious neurodevelopmental disorder reportedly developed a combination of endogenous and exogenous lipoid pneumonia and pulmonary alveolar proteinosis. Endogenous lipoid pneumonia has also been linked to lung cancer. In one research conducted, endogenous lipoid pneumonia was diagnosed in the resected lungs of 33 of 147 patients with lung cancer. It was found in 16 out of 89 (18%) of patients with adenocarcinoma and in 17 of 55 (31%) patients with squamous cell carcinoma. In 23 cases, it was observed that endogenous lipoid pneumonia was localized to lung parenchyma distal to the airway obstructed by the tumor, and of these 16 were patients with squamous cell carcinoma. Out of 5 patients with adenocarcinoma, 4 had endogenous lipoid pneumonia present distal to the tumor and having spread to isolated segments. These results indicate that transbronchial dissemination of the breakdown products of adenocarcinoma cells, including mucin, could contribute to the spread of the nonobstructive component of endogenous lipoid pneumonia.

A histopathologic examination of lung tissue of patients with non–small cell lung cancer has revealed changes similar to those observed in endogenous lipoid pneumonia, along with pulmonary alveolar proteinosis, located near the non–small cell lung cancer. One study described coexisting changes similar to those seen in endogenous lipoid pneumonia in the vicinity of primary lung tumors, particularly in samples of tissue from patients with squamous cell and large cell carcinoma.

When normal lung tissue is chemically analysed, it shows a total fat content of 8.63 per 100 g of dry tissue, of which 19% is cholesterol; although this percentage shows a marked increase in smokers. When the breakdown of these cells takes place, it results in the lipid gaining access to lung parenchyma and it is phagocytosed by the pulmonary macrophages. The absence of lysosomes in these macrophages impairs their ability to resist bacterial infections, and renders the patient more susceptible to opportunistic infections.If the macrophage nucleus displays morphologic evidence of an extreme increase in activity— parachromatic clearing, chromatin clumping and hyperchromatic prominent nucleoli - a diagnosis of lung carcinoma is possible.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Oil of any kind is bad news for the throat. Older members may remember the 60s era when Vicks oil base nose drops were implicated in lipid pneumonia and removed from the market and replaced by the epinephrine type drops.

There are many oil based flavorings available along with warnings that they are to be used for cooking only, some with advisement not to use them in Ecig juices. Oil is supposedly difficult for the lungs to remove and damaging to lung tissue.

Cinnamon, Key Lime, and other flavors are available in oil bases. I'd stay away from those, even though this person's death may have been a result of his history or some other cause. Diacetyl is another one to watch out for (popcorn lung).

sea

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2011
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
I already look for the juice I buy to be diacetyl free. Perhaps this will prompt some juicemakers to label their juice as oil free as well. If anyone is putting oil based flavorings in juice, I think it should be disclosed. The reporting was awful, and it does appear that the doctor is trying to cover his own ....

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
I already look for the juice I buy to be diacetyl free. Perhaps this will prompt some juicemakers to label their juice as oil free as well. If anyone is putting oil based flavorings in juice, I think it should be disclosed. The reporting was awful, and it does appear that the doctor is trying to cover his own ....

I have heard that there is a very easy way to tell if there is oil in your e-juice.

Your atomizer dies.

Which makes it very suspect that Mr. Miller was inhaling "large quantities of the substitutes" that "seemed to involve a mixture of nicotine and some oil."

Last edited:

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
The only news stories I've seen on this case are yesterday's BBC article at
BBC News - Gateshead doctor calls for research into 'e-cigarettes'
and yesterday's BBC television segment at
YouTube - Bad news for E-cig Users
the latter of which only has 283 hits.

No news stories outside the UK, and no postings of this on any anti tobacco websites.

Based upon the limited medical information presented in these two BBC news stories, it appears likely that Mr. Miller's death was caused by decades of smoking cigarettes.

While risks of heart disease decline soon after quitting smoking, exsmokers face high risks of lung cancer for two decades after quitting, and much other lung damage from smoking is permanent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread