Doctors & Health Insurance Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectroLoki

Apr 1, 2010
London, UK
Hey all!

Just got a quick question about medical insurance and how vaporizers relate...

When you're asked officially "Are you a smoker? / How long have you been smoking?" for insurance and medical purposes... what do you answer??

Obviously the reason they ask is to determine your health status based on the negative effects of tobacco. Since vapers aren't exposed to all the nasties that traditional smokers are... should we answer no to these questions? I mean... yes, we technically smoke for the nicotine... buuuuut, is it right to second-guess the question? And (specifically in my case) would not classing vaping as 'smoking' hold up in a legal situation?

(PS: I'm a UK vaper, so this applies more to the NHS... but the same would apply for health insurance, life insurance for buying property, etc... )

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
Honestly, I don't see how they'd find out. With the information we have at this point (not just from e-cigs, but from the cumulative knowledge about the process they utilize and the ingredients in e-juice that's been compiled over decades), there is no reason to think you would come down with a smoking-related illness due to e-cigarettes.

I've seen a few posts here about people telling their docs about e-cigs. And some of them agree that it doesn't count as smoking.

I don't plan to take that risk, personally. I'm sticking to "I don't smoke."

But that's probably because I'm an American who's embittered about the insanity that is the American insurance system. Even for a non-smoker, normal human beings can't really afford insurance. Add smoking to that? Rich people only.

So I just don't plan to tell them.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
My wife and I had to have blood tests before buying a life insurance policy. A nurse came by the house, drew blood, checked our blood pressure, and filled out a medical history form. They also called out family doctor and requested our medical records which revealed the fact that I told the doctor I smoked. Make sure you note that you quit on your doctor's medical records or they will assume you still smoke.

I don't know how long you have to be tobacco free before the rates drop. If it's a company work policy, you probably only have to select tobacco free. If you are buying an individual policy, there may be a period before you qualify. Yesterday won't be good enough.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
This is a very good question, this is so far rather un-charted territory.
If the form asks is you smoke, and you 100% use a PV, technically you do not smoke. If it asks do you use tobacco products, again say no. If it asks do you use nicotine, answer yes. But they never ask if you drink coffee or eat Big Macs. Unfair.
As far as I've been able to understand, a bit of nicotine is not any more deadly than coffee or Mountain Dew. My blood pressure is 110/62, and I'm 63 years old, so I know I'm not on the verge of collapse. My blood/oxygen is 97+%. I'm still moving! I've never been to Three Mile Island or Chernobyl.
HOWEVER: Any testing would be for nicotine, not lungsful of tar and toxins, carcinogens, and CO2 in your tissues. Which is hardly fair, MHO. I think if we knew the awful truth, no nicotine test would be asked for if you claim to be a non-smoker. They have other methods to disqualify you or ask exhorbitant fees, high chloresterol would be one!
I also claimed myself as a non-smoker. I have been for a year-and-a-half, if there's ever a problem it will be a "pre-existing condition" and insurance would be denied if I ever need a lung transplant. My overall health, however, as a non-smoker, is hugely improved, I mean HUGE. A pretty good "risk" as a policy-holder. Except for my age.
See, you're screwed no matter how you answer, they've got you for one thing or another!!

Last edited:

potholerepairman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2009
On health insurance or doctor form I have always said no -smoker.Insurance is such a racket, on the level of evil it goes right below mobile check-cashing vans.Everyone needs insurance just not the way they exclude deny or overcharge for it.The health record is too permanant for me to tell em I ever smoked.

ElectroLoki

Apr 1, 2010
London, UK
I'm planning on indicating that I'm a non-smoker I think, as I came to the same conclusion. It is of course COMMON SENSE we're talking about here, and there's very little of THAT around!

Yeah, you speak the truths. I only hope that a blood test doesn't come up (its a random check they do occasionally here) and if I get denied then wish me luck in defending my case!

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
I told my doctor that I quit by using a PV and he was delighted. A couple of weeks ago I went nicotine free and his reaction is that my getting pneumonia might be the most advantageous infection ever. I would definitely tell a new doctor about my smoking history. There are potential long-term effects from smoking that he should know to be on the lookout for.

But most forms ask if you smoked in the last 12 months. Five and a half months from now I get to say "no."

ElectroLoki

Apr 1, 2010
London, UK
Ah, Sarlen, so your insurance place considers vaping to be on par with smoking huh? Thats just... not right.

johnnybgdg, see... NOT bringing it up could be construed as lying about the whole thing, and would not be in your favour.

Nicotine replacement... its a good term. Worth remembering for use if any of proverbial excrement DOE hit the fan.

(Admins/Mods might wanna include a section about PV's and insurance in one of the newbie guides? Or pin this one? Quite an important topic I think!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread