Not open for further replies.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
The Article said:
Thursday, the CDC updated its count of confirmed and probable cases of what it now calls EVALI, short for "e-cigarette or vaping product use associated lung injury."

I am actually shocked they missed this chance to further demonize vaping by calling these cases "E-cigarette or vaping product caused Injury to Lung" aka EVIL.

wetclay

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
UAE
The timing of this outbreak couldn't be worse. I'm afraid the numbers will keep increasing. From speaking to someone who works in ER, this Flu season came earlier than usual and is more sever than previous years. Taking my shot next week.
Direct quote from article:
"Those symptoms are all similar to another illness that's starting to show up nationwide: the flu.

Mukhopadhyay said he worries that some cases of the flu will get mistaken for vaping injuries, and vice versa. He also said it's possible those who vape may have worse outcomes if they end up with influenza."

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
According to this link in the article, they'll finally be releasing some numbers today.
That might be interesting.

Outbreak of Lung Injury Associated with E-Cigarette Use, or Vaping
upload_2019-10-25_11-41-24.png

Reactions: stols001

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
According to this link in the article, they'll finally be releasing some numbers today.
That might be interesting.

Outbreak of Lung Injury Associated with E-Cigarette Use, or Vaping
View attachment 847289
Currently, the only EVALI related MMWR report available (listed as published today, but released on the 22nd as an early release) --- only details Utah cases:

E-cigarette Use, or Vaping, Practices and Characteristics Among ...

A couple relevant bits of information:

Of the 79 cases, 53 were interviewed: 92% (49) reported using THC, and 6% (3) reported nicotine only.

In terms of substance testing:
To date, UDOH and Utah local health departments have collected 72 products from eight (15%) of 53 patients interviewed. Products tested at UPHL comprised 19 prefilled THC-containing cartridges from six patients and 20 nicotine-containing vaping liquids (19 bottled e-liquids and one from an atomizer) from six patients; six patients provided both THC- and nicotine-containing samples, and two provided only nicotine-containing samples). Among the 19 THC-containing cartridges, THC was detected in 19 of 19 (100%), nicotine was detected in one (5%), and evidence of vitamin E acetate was detected in 17 (89%). Samples of nicotine-containing e-liquid, in contrast, only showed evidence of nicotine and no evidence of THC or vitamin E acetate. No other analytes were found.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
From the linked page:

"The study didn't look at which products or ingredients may have caused the damage, though one patient told his doctors that he'd switched to a product labeled "Dank Vapes" a few weeks before he was hospitalized."

<sarcasm> Yup, vaping thc is bad! </sarcasm>

:grr:

:rolleyes:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I find it fascinating that you gotta smoke dope to be healthy, and you gotta vape nicotine to be healthy.

And that, seems to be that, other than we now have like, "Black market'" cartridges being disguised as LEGIT THC vaping by using the "label" hastily affixed.

Well done FDA, nicely played. God, I can't wait for the "numbers." I say, for every vaper "damaged" by vaping (I am going to conclude that THC vaping of black market cartridges for the purpose of this thought experiment) that for each death, a FDA member should be forced to vape Vitamin E and then they can video their symptoms for a true picture of accuracy.

That sounds mean, but what is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander I say.

I would be MORE than prepared to go head to head with an FDA member as far as vaping. I would sit and vape with him using my OWN juices and equipment (he needs a disposable drip tip though, don't want THAT on my drip tips) and we could both engage in polite conversation as we vaped for a LONG time without dying and I would talk to him ALL about the CDC and how they are Dbags and like he could ask me about MY tobacco history and LIFE, and at the end they would call me "Anna, the Medication Goddess," given the number of medications I have sampled (or been forced to be sampled, when you are involuntary in a psych unit they get really pissy if you refuse your meds even when you are like, "I think 15 is kind of a bit many") and I would be deemed. UNKILABLE.

Anan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread