Doctors Told Me I Couldn't Quit. Guess What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jolly_st_nic

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2012
Madison, WI
It's only been a week since I was a smoker, and yet I know I've beat the habit. I started smoking when I was just 18, and I've burned through at least a pack a day since then - 25 years of addiction. I did a lot of drugs in college, and I developed mental problems and received a long and impossible-to-pronounce diagnosis from psychiatrists who told me that, while it would be better if I quit cigarettes, a lot of people like me smoke and it's incredibly difficult for people with my diagnosis to actually quit tobacco use. At one point, during a relapse, a doctor actually wrote in my chart that my level of nicotine addiction was "profound", and when I spent time in locked wards they gave me a patch and the nicotine inhaler to use together. The most cigarettes I ever smoked in 24 hours was, if you believe it, seven packs. During relapses, I was under so much stress that I could sometimes smoke four or five packs for days, even weeks, on end. Most of my habit, I was using a pack or a pack-and-a-half, and I began to believe what some doctors had told me - that cigarettes would always be a part of my life.

I have tried everything to quit, including e cigarettes. I was actually messing around with e cigarette technology around 2010 or so, back when the hottest product available was the Joyetech Ego pen with cartomizers that leaked - long before sub-ohm or any of the new pod devices. It didn't work for me. I managed to make it through a full morning and most of an afternoon without a cigarette, but otherwise it was very difficult - even when vaping 35 mg / ml vapor on a cigalike. I remember being confused by the news of the time, which reported that e cigarettes didn't really deliver nicotine (yes, they actually reported that), that e cigarettes don't really help you quit smoking, that almost all e cigarette users are dual users, that the vapor and devices are dangerous, etc. I also tried the patch, the gum, the inhaler, and even nicotine nasal spray (I couldn't use it - it made me sneeze with every inhale). I had no success with chewing tobacco, either, so I continued smoking. I decided a month ago to give the e cigarette one more try, and again I found it impossible not to light up.

About three weeks ago, I tried Halo Ultra Salts Tribeca in the 35 mg strength, and I tried it in a sub-ohm tank. I knew immediately that I finally had a chance to quit smoking, because I experienced something I seldom experience from nicotine anymore, even when smoking my first cigarette in the morning - a full-fledged nicotine buzz. I have never been able to feel that from mere vaping, and I realized that using salts at high enough wattages absolutely can deliver adequate amounts of nicotine, even for an experienced, nicotine-desensitized, heavy smoker like me. Further, I've become convinced after reducing my cigarette intake and finally stopping altogether that, contrary to what is sometimes reported in the news and even on vaping forums, nicotine alone really is the main addictive constituent in tobacco leaf. It was difficult to believe, since I tried vaping and failed in the past, but once I started achieving success with little or no effort to stop, I became fully convinced of the power of this technology to help even the most addicted smokers. I went to the local vape shop and bought a Joyetech Edge pod, two Aspire Breeze devices with 0.6 ohm coils, and a heck of a lot of 50 mg / ml liquids - some in tobacco flavors and some in bakery flavors. I haven't smoked in about a week, and it's so easy to stay quit with the e cigarettes that I have no intention of ever smoking a real one again.

So there you go. I was told I couldn't quit. The sweet smell of success! If you find yourself frustrated with the e cigarette and unable to give up the smokes, I would suggest the nicotine salts between 35 mg and 50 mg at whatever wattage is necessary to feel satisfied. You might feel a little nauseous a time or two, but if you learn to stop vaping for a few minutes and slow your pace, you'll find it really does make quitting very easy. I may have just added 20 years or more to my life - 20 extra years to visit with friends and family; live new adventures; grow and mature; breathe and survive; and even inhale VGOD Cubano. Thanks, e cigarettes. If I can quit, anyone can.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Great story! Congrats on achieving it. Some people just plain need more nicotine to be successful. I accidentally fell into it after buying a cigalike Vuse for a trip. I hated leaving the hotel every time I wanted a smoke. In that one trip I found no desire to smoke of course later I discovered they used 48 mg of nic in those things. When I switched to a "real" vape I was at 24 mg for quite some time. So yeah, for some of us high nic is a necessity.

I have changed my vaping habit to more DL style vaping so I have lowered my nic accordingly to 6 mg, but I didn't even bother to worry about the amount of nicotine I needed for at least the first year.

Pod_Vaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2018
East Coast, USA
Congrats on quitting smoking! Whatever it takes to quit, I say go for it. At some point you will (hopefully) find you can decrease the amount of nicotine little by little. But even if you don't, this absolutely is better than a cigarette any day!

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
It's only been a week since I was a smoker, and yet I know I've beat the habit. I started smoking when I was just 18, and I've burned through at least a pack a day since then - 25 years of addiction. I did a lot of drugs in college, and I developed mental problems and received a long and impossible-to-pronounce diagnosis from psychiatrists who told me that, while it would be better if I quit cigarettes, a lot of people like me smoke and it's incredibly difficult for people with my diagnosis to actually quit tobacco use. At one point, during a relapse, a doctor actually wrote in my chart that my level of nicotine addiction was "profound", and when I spent time in locked wards they gave me a patch and the nicotine inhaler to use together. The most cigarettes I ever smoked in 24 hours was, if you believe it, seven packs. During relapses, I was under so much stress that I could sometimes smoke four or five packs for days, even weeks, on end. Most of my habit, I was using a pack or a pack-and-a-half, and I began to believe what some doctors had told me - that cigarettes would always be a part of my life.

I have tried everything to quit, including e cigarettes. I was actually messing around with e cigarette technology around 2010 or so, back when the hottest product available was the Joyetech Ego pen with cartomizers that leaked - long before sub-ohm or any of the new pod devices. It didn't work for me. I managed to make it through a full morning and most of an afternoon without a cigarette, but otherwise it was very difficult - even when vaping 35 mg / ml vapor on a cigalike. I remember being confused by the news of the time, which reported that e cigarettes didn't really deliver nicotine (yes, they actually reported that), that e cigarettes don't really help you quit smoking, that almost all e cigarette users are dual users, that the vapor and devices are dangerous, etc. I also tried the patch, the gum, the inhaler, and even nicotine nasal spray (I couldn't use it - it made me sneeze with every inhale). I had no success with chewing tobacco, either, so I continued smoking. I decided a month ago to give the e cigarette one more try, and again I found it impossible not to light up.

About three weeks ago, I tried Halo Ultra Salts Tribeca in the 35 mg strength, and I tried it in a sub-ohm tank. I knew immediately that I finally had a chance to quit smoking, because I experienced something I seldom experience from nicotine anymore, even when smoking my first cigarette in the morning - a full-fledged nicotine buzz. I have never been able to feel that from mere vaping, and I realized that using salts at high enough wattages absolutely can deliver adequate amounts of nicotine, even for an experienced, nicotine-desensitized, heavy smoker like me. Further, I've become convinced after reducing my cigarette intake and finally stopping altogether that, contrary to what is sometimes reported in the news and even on vaping forums, nicotine alone really is the main addictive constituent in tobacco leaf. It was difficult to believe, since I tried vaping and failed in the past, but once I started achieving success with little or no effort to stop, I became fully convinced of the power of this technology to help even the most addicted smokers. I went to the local vape shop and bought a Joyetech Edge pod, two Aspire Breeze devices with 0.6 ohm coils, and a heck of a lot of 50 mg / ml liquids - some in tobacco flavors and some in bakery flavors. I haven't smoked in about a week, and it's so easy to stay quit with the e cigarettes that I have no intention of ever smoking a real one again.

So there you go. I was told I couldn't quit. The sweet smell of success! If you find yourself frustrated with the e cigarette and unable to give up the smokes, I would suggest the nicotine salts between 35 mg and 50 mg at whatever wattage is necessary to feel satisfied. You might feel a little nauseous a time or two, but if you learn to stop vaping for a few minutes and slow your pace, you'll find it really does make quitting very easy. I may have just added 20 years or more to my life - 20 extra years to visit with friends and family; live new adventures; grow and mature; breathe and survive; and even inhale VGOD Cubano. Thanks, e cigarettes. If I can quit, anyone can.
Congratulations! I never approached the level of smoking you did, but was pretty hard core for 45 years. Quit several times for very long periods, way past the "withdrawal" period, but relapsed every time. I still feel like you- that vaping makes it so easy, it's almost like cheating. It's been over a year for me, and I tried a hit of a cigarette over the weekend, and it really was nasty. I didn't get that at 3 months, or even 6 months. So I know I'm done with them forever.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Welcome and congrats, your story was similar to mine including encountering e-cigarettes early on and not having it work. For me, the right type of vape was key, that and being a 3 ppd smoker by the time I quit. I sort of inadvertently lowered my nic levels without realizing it recently (long story) but I wound up back in dual use for a bit. Raising my nic levels a bit higher helped a lot, so I would say, don't rush any decreases because even if you never do-- at all-- you are so much better off than smoking. I was really thankful to drop dual use fairly quickly this time around, although I am not confident to put a quit date up yet.

But most of all welcome and congratulations I remember that day of total AWE when I was like, "I did not smoke today." I really didn't think I could EVER do it, but I'm so glad I did, and a HUGE congratulations to you, keep up the good work.

Anna

cigarbabe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2010
Residing in Henniker, NH
vaperstv
Congratulations on making the switch! I never wanted to quit smoking but found after 3 days with an early ecig and some WTA jooz I had accidentally quit my 3 pad Kool & 3-10 premium Maduro cigar habit! I'm thrilled it's working for you this time around. Don't let anyone tell you that you should reduce your nicotine consumption since it is a highly individualized equation that varies from vaper to vaper. I'll be coming up on 10 years vaping in the fall and I never felt an urge to lower my nic levels except for the first month. I am like you and never get any buzz from nic which is fine for me! I still use levels of 18- 56mg without any "addiction issues". I don't believe nicotine is addictive unless it's in a tobacco product and even then there isn't good evidence for "addiction".
C.B

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread