Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Sony has those warnings as well.

sony-battery-jpg.529035

We ARE using all our 18650's against explicit directive from the manufacturers. Why?

We don't care because the battery chemistry is the best available for our uses.
True fact. Despite the known risk of vapers using round lithium ion batteries outside of battery packs with BMS (battery management systems) as they were designed to be used, vapers continue to use them despite the manufacturers' warnings not to do so because there's no practical alternative for us.

The very design of the positive end of a round lithium battery makes it dangerous to be used in a vape battery device. The positive and negative contacts are dangerously close to each other so that when the battery is removed or reinserted into the mod there is a possibility that this action could cause the battery to short, as described by Mooch in the below video. If the battery was being used in the fashion it was designed for (inside of a battery pack), that's not an issue because the batteries are not constantly being moved.

The BIG THREE manufacturers (Lg, Samsung, Sony) could probably come up with a safer design for their round lithium cells, but they probably are not interested in doing so just for vapers. They are kept busy making batteries for the automotive and portable power tool industries. From their perspective, the vaping industry would only be a small fraction of their consumer base, so why redesign their batteries just for them? That would not be practical from a R&D or financial perspective.

On the other hand, the Chinese battery industry might be interested in the vaping industry market. In fact, Mooch had contact with at least one Chinese manufacturer who wanted to know what vapers wanted in battery. So Mooch made a poll asking this question to his followers.

Mooch Poll: What is most important to you in a new battery?

Results:
”Cheating” on the Molicel new battery poll...really?

I had hoped that vapers who voted would have asked for a safer battery design for the benefit of all vapers, but no they voted for a any number of selfish reasons such as a certain size battery, higher amp battery, a higher capacity battery. Few voters voted for a safer battery design. :(

e4bd8a9f-151c-454d-a8ae-8f7d6322a5c9-jpeg.777665

Last edited:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
sony-battery-jpg.529035

True fact. Despite the known risk of vapers using round lithium ion batteries outside of battery packs with BMS (battery management systems) as they were designed to be used, vapers continue to use them despite the manufacturers' warnings not to do so because there's no practical alternative for us.

The very design of the positive end of a round lithium battery makes it dangerous to be used in a vape battery device. The positive and negative contacts are dangerously close to each other so that when the battery is removed or reinserted into the mod there is a possibility that this action could cause the battery to short, as described by Mooch in the below video. If the battery was being used in the fashion it was designed for (inside of a battery pack), that's not an issue because the batteries are not constantly being moved.

The BIG THREE manufacturers (Lg, Samsung, Sony) could probably come up with a safer design for their round lithium cells, but they probably are not interested in doing so just for vapers. They are kept busy making batteries for the automotive and portable power tool industries. From their perspective, the vaping industry would only be a small fraction of their consumers, so why redesign their batteries for just for them? That would not be practical from a R&D or financial perspective.

On the other hand, the Chinese battery industry might be interested in the vaping industry market. In fact, Mooch had contact with at least one Chinese manufacturer who wanted to know what vapers wanted in battery. So Mooch made a poll asking this question to his followers.

Mooch Poll: What is most important to you in a new battery?

Results:
”Cheating” on the Molicel new battery poll...really?

I had hoped that vapers who voted would have asked for a safer battery design for the benefit of all vapers, but no they voted for a any number of selfish reasons such as a certain size battery, higher amp battery, higher capacity battery. Few voters voted for a safer battery. :(

That's interesting.. I missed that poll altogether but I was having serious health issues at that time and wasn't online much..

Yes I would have imagined a safer battery would be important - although I think cell capacity is equally important for vapers.

Reactions: stols001

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Sony has those warnings as well. We ARE using all our 18650's against explicit directive from the manufacturers.

Why?

1) the manufacturers don't want to be sued for deaths or injuries from mechanical or regulated mod use.

2) We don't care because the battery chemistry is the best available for our uses.

I understand that but on the site I referenced you can’t even purchase those LG batteries UNLESS you have documentation that you’re commercial business.

If all battery shops started doing this we would be in for a whole lot of hurt.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Maybe my original post wasn’t clear - it’s not a warning to consumers. It’s a refusal to sell them to individuals unless that consumer can prove with government documents that they run a business that requires the need to purchase the batteries.

Ok? Got it now?

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I understand that but on the site I referenced you can’t even purchase those LG batteries UNLESS you have documentation that you’re commercial business.

If all battery shops started doing this we would be in for a whole lot of hurt.

This is why we buy from wholesalers.. these companies (LG, Sony etc.) don't sell to individuals. They wouldn't sell you a battery for a million dollars, and they never would have.

Wholesale companies break open (commercial) packs.. we buy them. Its not new.

But at any rate - you seem upset so I'll take my leave.

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread