Dodgy Aspire ET-S BDC coils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen various posts here and there talking about how it's hit and miss with these coils. I have found that to be completely true. If you get one that works it is amazing, if you get a dodgy one though it's really disappointing and the vapour production is pathetic.

I've had 3 dodgy coils in a row now, is there any way to fix them? What exactly is causing them to perform like a really old clogged up coil being run on a battery about to die?

I love them when they work, but it's far too expensive when more than half the coils you buy aren't even working.

Amy87

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
IN, USA
I wish I had an answer. I got 3 Aspire ET-S BDC's about a week ago and I have already tossed them in the emergency back-up pile. My issue with them is a horrible burnt rubber taste. This is right from the get-go, not after being used for awhile. Even though they were new I went ahead and cleaned them just see if that helped, but it didn't. I'm now just using my Evod single coil tanks and no issues at all, but I really wanted to get some use out of the Apire's :(

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I gave up on the Aspire BDC coils in my Nautilus and the single and dual coils in my Kanger Aerotank Mega. I could recoil both types and get good vapor, but out of the box they were good for about two hours and then it was a downward spiral. Resistance was rising and forcing me to raise the voltage to keep vapor at a decent level. Before the end of the day, they were hitting 3.5 to 4 ohms and tasting like old socks.

The only problem I could pinpoint was degradation of the silver solder joints in the coil wire. Where the resistance wire was solder to the non-resistance wire the solder joint was breaking down. When I'd pull one apart to look and see what was happening, one of the legs would pull out of the solder blob leaving a hole where the wire should be.

It's just my guess, but since this is happening identically with Aspire and Kanger there must be a common culprit. It's the wire and I suspect that there's a common contractor who makes the hybrid wires for both companies. Someone needs to learn to solder or switch over to wire welding, which would solve the problem once and for all. Cold solder joints don't hold up to vibration or high temperatures and these are soldered right next to the ends of the coil where it's really hot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread