The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Does a good version of these flavors actually exist?

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by SethGrimm, Oct 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. SethGrimm

SethGrimm Senior Member ECF Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Jacksonville Florida
    So, I really would like to find these flavorings.

Chocolate that doesn't taste like a scented marker.
    A strawberry that tastes REAL, not like candy.
    A sweet Graham Cracker with no spiciness.
    Caramel that tastes rich, not like candy.
    A cake/cupcake that tastes like a real cake/cupcake and doesn't have any bitter/chemical/medicinal notes.

This would make my life! I can't see to find a realistic variation of these flavors. Any leads?

*Please don't say Capella*

2. gingersnaps

gingersnaps Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 3, 2010
    everywhere
    For strawberry definitely flavor art i like their caramel too. On chocolate i like flavor apprentice double chocolate.

Lol I would never recommend Capella it to chemically tasting to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

3. SethGrimm

Sep 28, 2012
    Jacksonville Florida
    Thanks so much, Ginger.

Yes, I thought I was the ONLY one! I just got 7 Capella flavors in the mail and I am really dissapointed. They either taste like candy instead of fruit, flat out fake, harsh, spicy, or chemically. I don't understand how so many people love them. I guess we're just insane.

I'll check those out. I trust your taste knowing we share a distaste for Capella. ;)

4. Aheadatime

Aheadatime Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    USA
    Chocolate is still being 'figured out' by the DIY community. Some worth noting are TFA's Double Dark Chocolate, FA's Chocolate and FA's Cocoa, VZ SC Gourmet Chocolate Truffle, and Hangsen's Chocolate Cream. Always be sure to add some sort of vanilla (I use Vanillin from TFA) to compliment your chocolate mixes.

I'm allergic to strawberry, so I contacted numerous flavor vendors to see if they were using artificial flavorings which would be fine by my system. They said it's a hybrid between fake and real, so I shouldn't vape them. That said, I've heard good things about TFA's Ripe Strawberry.

Most people rely on either Capella's or TFA for their graham cracker. Wizard Labs sells a TFA graham cracker that's labeled as "clear", and doesn't contain the corn syrup that the standard TFA graham cracker has, so I use that one. It's pretty good, but I'm sure there are better out there.

I haven't dabbled too heavily into the caramels, but I do enjoy FW's caramel candy. You're not looking for a candy type caramel (this tastes like the ice cream topping but a tad more candyish), so that doesn't help you. I've heard that TFA caramel (the one without a suffix like 'candy' or 'original') is pretty good, same with FA's.

The cake/cupcake one is difficult, as this usually entails mixing different flavors together to get one just right. DIYFS poundcake, VZ SCG's sponge cake, and TFA's vanilla swirl/vanilla cupcake all come to mind, but again, they need mixing. Some common mixers include horchata, dulce de leche, malt, malted milk, vanilla, bavarian cream, whipped cream, and butter.

As you can see, this will take some purchasing/experimenting on your behalf. There are no perfect answers since this is such a subjective thing, and since alot of successful mixers don't necessarily post all of their results here, which is unfortunate but understandable. Most share all of their recipes/failures/successes, but some don't, hence alot more questions in this forum then success stories and the like. More people will post in here after me I hope with their own personal experiences with your flavors, because as you can see, mine is a bit limited with the flavors listed.

5. JD1

JD1 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Nov 20, 2010
    KY
    Don't forget to check out the flavors at Vaping Zone. They are different and while that's not a guarantee that you'll like them, I think it does mean they are worth checking out.

I kept putting it off because I order my nic elsewhere and I'd always just toss in a few flavors with my order to save on shipping. I really like several of the TFA and FA flavors I've ordered, but in the future, I don't foresee ordering anything outside the two super concentrated lines at VZ as long as they're available.

6. mourningshadow

mourningshadow Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    Personal favorites:

Chocolate - Vapingzone Gourmet Chocolate Truffle (hard to find in stock though, 1% or less is needed. This actually tricks my brain into thinking I am eating real chocolate)
    Strawberry - TFA Strawberry (Ripe), tastes and smells real to me, almost too real. FA strawberry is good as well
    Graham Cracker - I only use TFA's dark Graham Cracker, not too sweet but I like it and it goes in a lot of my juices. I hated capella's
    Caramel - Vapingzone Gourmet Caramel is very good, and 1% or less is all you need. I do like TFA's Caramel original as well, not candy
    Cake - Vapingzone Gourmet Cake (again hard to find in stock but I think they may have some right now, I just bought 3 bottles. Amazing cake flavor though it does have a bit of a lemon taste to it. 1% is all you need)

7. michaelsil1

michaelsil1 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I agree on the VZ-SC Gourmet Cake

Hangsen Strawberry (ecigexpress) is very good. :)

8. SethGrimm

Sep 28, 2012
    Jacksonville Florida
    Thanks for the advice, everyone!

I actually already really love Vaping Zone's super concentrates. Although I only have tried their coffees and tobaccos. :)

It seems I need to place a TFA order among a few other things.

9. JD1

Nov 20, 2010
    KY
    Their ry4 double is very good as well if you like that flavor. Search should find a thread on it, in case you haven't seen it.

10. SethGrimm

Sep 28, 2012
    Jacksonville Florida
    I have tried RY4 Asian, Peach, Banana Cream, Green Tea, Dekang tobacco, M-type, Koolada, And Black Honey Tobacco. I have been impressed with TFA and now I feel a large order coming on.

Is the RY4 Double better than the RY4 Asian? That's the only flavoring from TFA that I hated.

11. john333

john333 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I have a difficult time with flavors. I haven't found a single fruit or chocolate flavor I can vape. Thing is I eat fruits and chocolate often and enjoy them. The flavors I can vape are tobaccos and bakery items. Of late I have had great success with Hangsen Tobacco flavors. They aren't your run of the mill had that before flavors. They work great as stand alone or mixing. Their facility is state-of-the art at least from the pictures I have seen. With that in mind you may want to check out Hangsen flavors. I get mine from RTSVapes but many others prefer ECigExpress. Good luck

12. we2rcool

we2rcool Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 31, 2013
    Iowa, IA, USA
    +1 on TFA Strawberry Ripe
    +1 on TFA Caramel Original

'Can't believe noone has mentioned that VZs Gourmet line contains diacetyl in many of the flavors! (And now that we know VZ didn't disclose this important safety info when it's easy-to-find info - then the SC line from China is suspect, too). Flavors containing diacetyl & percentages as of 2010. Below is the response to my recent email asking for updated diacetyl info from Baker Flavors in Russia (source of the Gourmet line at VZ):

The best chocolate we've found is the VZ Gourmet Chocolate Truffle; the VZ SC Cocoa Chocolate is also very good. The Cocoa Chocolate vapes at 2/2.5 as a very rich cup of cocoa (it's great with toasted marshallow or a tiny bit of mint candy)...but if you push it higher, it gets 'darker' and more complex...to the point of being a tiny-wee-bit bitter on the exhale.

Far and away the best "plain cake" we've tried is VZ Gourmet Vanilla Spongecake (it's a dead ringer for the yellow cake in a Twinkie). People also rave about the Gourmet Cake (which they say is basically the same as the Spongecake, but lemony).
    The Cream & Charlotte is slightly cakey (yellow) with strong buttery flavor.

We've got the Gourmet Caramel, but haven't worked with it long enough to know much of anything. Several folks rave about it, but we're not 'getting it'...so we must need to add a bit more (since we started very low)...or both of us just don't care for it.

If you've ever compared non-diacetyl to flavors with diacetyl, you will sense the diacetyl in the VZ Gourmet line [edit - not every flavor in the Gourmet line!]. :::sigh::: These flavors are excellent, but we'll be using them very sparingly (and if we buy any more of them, it will be from Baker Flavors in Russia, as to not support vendors who profit from selling harmful chemicdals without disclosing this to their buyers).

'Wish I had a good Graham Cracker; they ALL taste "chemically" to me (but then, I'm so crazy over real graham crackers that I make my own :))

13. JD1

Nov 20, 2010
    KY
    I've never tried the asian so I don't know, but I've seen posts saying they're different. Did you give the asian a long steep? The dry4 requires at least 4 weeks steep time imo.

14. SethGrimm

Sep 28, 2012
    Jacksonville Florida
    Yeah. It's been steeping for 4 weeks and it is still really bitter and sharp. I have heard the RY4 Double is better, I just don't think I'll enjoy it if it has the same nuances as RY4 asian.

How exactly would describe RY4 Double?

15. KnurledNut

KnurledNut Moved On

Aug 15, 2013
    Marineland
    After striking out with chocolates as well, we found Watkins at our local Wally World.

16. tencentcat

tencentcat Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 7, 2010
    denton tx
    There's no comparison. Two different animals completely to me. The Asian smells great but tastes terrible. Never could get it to work at any percentage. The Double I can't live without.

17. JD1

Nov 20, 2010
    KY
    I'd describe it as a good mellow tobacco with a little vanilla and caramel. Some folks get a little nut taste in there as well but I don't. The caramel steps out in front of the vanilla after a 4 week steep. I usually doctor mine with a little vanilla, brown sugar extra and em, but only because I'm a vanilla junkie with a huge sweet tooth lol. :vapor:

Here's a couple of threads you might be interested in. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/466243-my-first-go-dry4.html http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/e-liquid-recipes/350112-rwhy4-my-new-all-day-vape.html

18. we2rcool

we2rcool Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 31, 2013
    Iowa, IA, USA
    I'm game to try just about anything 'chocolate' that someone says works for them! What percentage do you suggest for starters? How does it treat your coils? TIA!

19. SethGrimm

Sep 28, 2012
    Jacksonville Florida
    I checked it out online and that ingredients list was longer than the Bible. I think I'll pass. That has to be terrible on you and your coils.

Caramel color, water, alcohol (19%), artificial flavor (contains yeast and propylene glycol), allura red/FD&C red no. 40, sunset yellow FCF/FD&C yellow no. 6, tartrazine/FD&C yellow no. 5, brilliant blue FCF/FD&C blue no. 1. Contains Soy, Milk, Sulfites. May ship different than shown.

20. SethGrimm

Sep 28, 2012
    Jacksonville Florida
    Thanks so much for all the information! :)

I will steer FAR away from that Gourmet line. I'll just stick with their Tobaccos and Caramel Mocha. I am really big about using the safest ingredients I can find for my DIY juice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.