Does anyone else get a "dirty sock" taste from LorAnn's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

override

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2009
Danbury, TX
Hello,

I am using an EVO with ECOpure and finally ordered some ECOpure 36mg Krystal, LorAnns flavorings, PG & VG, spare dropper bottles and all that good stuff for DIY mixing!

Yesterday I sat down with all my new stuff in front of me and started making different mixes....You would think that the results would be good! WRONG...

I don't know if I have done something wrong but I was following the E-juice calculator for mixing amounts/drops making about 2ml's at a time.

Everything I tried tastes like a dirty freaking sock :confused: what am I doing wrong? I figured maybe I was using to much flavoring, so I dropped the flavoring down to 10% nothing different, so I figured maybe it was not enough, I bumped it up to 30% and guess what? Still a freaking dirty sock.

I'm almost tempted to actually make some hard candy and see if its not a bad batch of flavorings or something, I ordered them from a supplier on ebay.com. They were all sealed so I know they were not tampered with, I have heard a couple people have ordered from the same guy aswell with no reported issues (or atleast any that I can find).

Anyone that has any advice it would be greatly appreciated!

Oh yes I also forgot to mention I tried some recipes from here that call for loranns and the two I mixed still had a dirty taste to them.

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
I use Lorann flavorings almost exclusively. Everything tastes much like it smells.

Try mixing up a small batch of flavored water in a teaspoon and taste it. See if it tastes different that way.

Nope havent had that taste in my mouth ... thank God. But I would do as RenaissancePuffer suggested with a little surgar and taste it. Then I would try the ecopure plain and see what IT taste like. I agree with RenaissancePuffer, my Lorann and Cappela flavors taste like they smell.
Dan

Scottes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
Boston, MA
scottesrum.com
I have to say that I have been disliking the aftertaste of any mix made with too much VG. I love the vapor, but dislike the taste.

I have not tried the EcoPure - it's on my list of things to try out.

I think the VG-based nic-juice that I have is made in China - it's got a light brown tint to it, unlike my Blip or Platinum Ice. But even if I use Blip with Heritage VG I get the same taste that I dislike.

Can you mix up a couple small batches, one with LorAnn + EcoPure and another of Loran + PG-based-nic-juice and see how the flavors compare?

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
I have to say that I have been disliking the aftertaste of any mix made with too much VG. I love the vapor, but dislike the taste.

I have not tried the EcoPure - it's on my list of things to try out.

I think the VG-based nic-juice that I have is made in China - it's got a light brown tint to it, unlike my Blip or Platinum Ice. But even if I use Blip with Heritage VG I get the same taste that I dislike.

Can you mix up a couple small batches, one with LorAnn + EcoPure and another of Loran + PG-based-nic-juice and see how the flavors compare?

Hmmm just got my bottle of blip 75mg in today was wondering how it was, how is it with straight PG and flavoring?
Dan

RenaissancePuffer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nope havent had that taste in my mouth ... thank God. But I would do as RenaissancePuffer suggested with a little surgar and taste it. Then I would try the ecopure plain and see what IT taste like. I agree with RenaissancePuffer, my Lorann and Cappela flavors taste like they smell.
Dan

You were the one that turned me on to that suggestion Dan! Thanks for that :)

Very good points about testing the other liquids alone, to see how they taste. I've found my unflavored liquid is bland, almost like vaping steam. Knowing this will let you know the issue is for sure not the base liquid.

I can't stress this enough. Make sure you are working with a clean slate. Clean your atty out good with alcohol, so there are no old lingering flavors. Drip, don't use carts unless they are un-used blanks.

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
You were the one that turned me on to that suggestion Dan! Thanks for that :)

Very good points about testing the other liquids alone, to see how they taste. I've found my unflavored liquid is bland, almost like vaping steam. Knowing this will let you know the issue is for sure not the base liquid.

I can't stress this enough. Make sure you are working with a clean slate. Clean your atty out good with alcohol, so there are no old lingering flavors. Drip, don't use carts unless they are un-used blanks.

Your welcome, good point on cleaning the atty and dripping/using a clean blank.

Scottes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
Boston, MA
scottesrum.com
Hmmm just got my bottle of blip 75mg in today was wondering how it was, how is it with straight PG and flavoring?
Dan
Well, I have to do some testing, but...

I get a bitterness when using Chinese juice, whether DIY or some of the pre-made stuff I got when first starting out. I do not get that bitterness when I make my own from the Blip.

When I use too much VG, I get a lousy aftertaste. I can't really describe it, though "dirty socks" is not it, though it might be close to "dirty water" - like a bachelor's kitchen sink that has had dishes soaking for 5 days.

With too much VG I also get an odd coating inside my mouth, and that greasy coating contains nothing but that "dirty water" taste.

I have some pre-made Chinese VG e-juice that combines the two above, and it's not good.

Thinking back, I am pretty sure that I do not get those above tastes with Vermont Vaper or Johnson Creek. I think I get a little of the bitterness with NHaler juices. I'd have to re-test these to be sure though.

Anyway, I find my DIY mixes made with Blip nic-juice to be much cleaner, regardless of which flavor company I use. Except LorAnn's Pina Colada - there's something unpleasant in that flavoring.

Scottes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
Boston, MA
scottesrum.com

...good point on cleaning the atty and dripping/using a clean blank.
Using clean atomizers can be a bit of a pain. I don't believe in cleaning atomizers unless necessary, so I'm not going to have 4 or 5 atomizers constantly in and out of PGA baths. Just my opinion.

So I make sure that I mix up a very small batch, 1/2 milliliter or close. Dripping is a must, and I make sure that I get to try at least 2 drops at least 3 times before I'll alter a recipe. When I'm done vaping that 1/2ml, I will be very close to the true taste.

Of course, that's out the window if I've vaped clove or anything with coconut. I really need to dedicate atomizers to those two.

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Well, I have to do some testing, but...

I get a bitterness when using Chinese juice, whether DIY or some of the pre-made stuff I got when first starting out. I do not get that bitterness when I make my own from the Blip.

When I use too much VG, I get a lousy aftertaste. I can't really describe it, though "dirty socks" is not it, though it might be close to "dirty water" - like a bachelor's kitchen sink that has had dishes soaking for 5 days.

With too much VG I also get an odd coating inside my mouth, and that greasy coating contains nothing but that "dirty water" taste.

I have some pre-made Chinese VG e-juice that combines the two above, and it's not good.

Thinking back, I am pretty sure that I do not get those above tastes with Vermont Vaper or Johnson Creek. I think I get a little of the bitterness with NHaler juices. I'd have to re-test these to be sure though.

Anyway, I find my DIY mixes made with Blip nic-juice to be much cleaner, regardless of which flavor company I use. Except LorAnn's Pina Colada - there's something unpleasant in that flavoring.

Thanks for the reply, Just whipped up a batch of 36mg commercial tobbaco juice with blips, WOW that is a heavy hitter on my throat. I was making it for a friend that said 24mg wasnt strong enough.
And my wife loves my menthol Pina Colad juice, of course I add 10 drops coconut, 15 drops pina colada and 10 drops Menthol Crystal PGA concentrate.
Thanks again.
Dan

override

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2009
Danbury, TX
Well Instead of quoting everyone here that has commented I will just try my best to respond universally!

I do make sure I am using as clean of an atty as possible! I dont clean mine with alcohol or everclear as I had a bad experience with a couple attys doing that. Instead I just turn them bridge side down on a napkin leaned up against something and let them drain all the flavoring out. It works very well doing it this way and I never have any problems with my attys!

I tried several ways of mixing the juices, trust me I spent about 6 hours yesterday trying to mix up different things and swapping/draining my attys as I went along. I tasted the PG i'm using and it tastes sweet so I know its not that, the VG tastes blan with some sweetness (I have not tried vaping them pure tho yet) and the ECOpure plain has a slight peppery taste somewhat like TW E-Liquid does (or so I have heard, my TW Liquid should be here tomorrow morning!!!).

I tried mixing ECOpure with PG and cutting it down to 18mg strength with no change, I tried mixing straight flavors with PG or VG or Both with no nic juice to see if it changed, nothing really. I did take a couple of the loranns flavoring and touch my pinky to the lip of the bottle and then to my tongue to see if any of the flavorings had a funky taste to them, they only one was the bavarian creme...It tasted very much like the dirty sock taste and I did use that with several of the mixes. SO today I made up a small batch of Strawberry Banana and Pina Colada with ECOpure cut to 18mg using PG to cut it with and I still got the nasty ... flavor.

After my mix I made this a.m. not working I decided to test the ECOpure out and see if it was giving off the nasty taste when mixed with something else. I had about 1.5ml's of 18mg Ruyan4 from Rocky Mountain Vapor left and I decide to bump it up to 36mg using the ECOpure. I can honestly say it made no ill effects! The flavor didn't change any at all, the throat hit got better, and the vapor production increased alot! Thats about it tho....So I believe I can cancel out the ECOpure as being a bad base.

I will try out some of the suggestions about mixing a teaspoon of water with a drop of loranns to see if they taste nasty or not. I will also try a straight PG and Straight VG mix of single flavors again.

I'm glad to hear that the Blip nic juice is something that people have tried and like! I was thinking of getting some myself! There is so many freaking brands and flavors out there to try a person could go broke just simply trying them all. I just wish and hope my DIY experience gets better cause I really dont want to have to rely on a company to buy juice from, seems that can get rather expensive.

Thanks so far for the help and suggestions! I'll do some more testing and post some more feedback tomorrow.

Oh yes I forgot to say that I am infact direct dripping, with the EVO it seems to be the best way to go! I threw out my inner carts long ago....

randpost

Moved On
Sep 21, 2009
I don't know about a dirty sock taste, but I didn't like most of the Lorann's flavors I tried with the exception of two. Tried 20 different flavors.

Just got a shipment of Capella's flavor drops and have tried two of them thus far. So far they're 2 for 2. I Liked them both. Graham cracker and double chocolate.

I don't get a chemical after taste with Capella flavors like I did with Lorann's.

Like I said though, I've only tried two so far. Perhaps the other flavors turn out horrible and I'll be in the same boat as I was in when I tested the Lorann's flavors.

Applejackson

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
Albany, NY
Thanks for the reply, Just whipped up a batch of 36mg commercial tobbaco juice with blips, WOW that is a heavy hitter on my throat. I was making it for a friend that said 24mg wasnt strong enough.
And my wife loves my menthol Pina Colad juice, of course I add 10 drops coconut, 15 drops pina colada and 10 drops Menthol Crystal PGA concentrate.
Thanks again.
Dan

Is there anything in particular you like about the BlipLabs stuff? Just curious, because even cut down to 19.5mg, it would be less expensive to get 35ml bottles of 36mg from RMV for $20 a piece.

BlipLabs
75mg/30ml for $54.99 +shipping(dunno how much they charge)
Cut in half to 38.5mg/60ml
Cut in half again to 19.25mg/120ml

RMV:
3 bottles 36mg/35ml (totaling 105ml) $60 +free shipping
Cut in half to 18mg/210ml!

I'm just wondering if there's some sort of quality difference cuz that's 90 extra ml for the same price (approx.). I don't feel there would be significant enough difference made by that 1.25mg for me. They might be a good source if the FDA cracks down and makes it hard to get nicotine liquid since they don't present it as being for vaporizing at all, so they might be able to squeak by. I imagine if that happens BlipLabs would suddenly be flooded with orders and might raise a few eyebrows though.

Scottes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
Boston, MA
scottesrum.com
Is there anything in particular you like about the BlipLabs stuff?
It tastes very clean.

If you want to vape based on price, but 500ml of 36mg from China for $90. Cut to 18mg with 350ml of PG and 150ml of LorAnn's. You'll get 1,000ml of 18mg for about $150. 15 cents per ml.

by the way, if you know that you're going to cut 50/50 to 18mg, buying the Blip 38mg is much cheaper than buying the 75mg. Blip's 75mg is twice as strong as their 38mg but is almost 3 times the price ($55 vs $20).

Applejackson

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
Albany, NY
It tastes very clean.

If you want to vape based on price, but 500ml of 36mg from China for $90. Cut to 18mg with 350ml of PG and 150ml of LorAnn's. You'll get 1,000ml of 18mg for about $150. 15 cents per ml.

by the way, if you know that you're going to cut 50/50 to 18mg, buying the Blip 38mg is much cheaper than buying the 75mg. Blip's 75mg is twice as strong as their 38mg but is almost 3 times the price ($55 vs $20).

Where can I get this? The last unflavored I got from China was exactly that, unflavored. I'd get it again... hopefully it'll be the same manufacturer.

override

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2009
Danbury, TX
Well last night I took out my PG and VG and made equal batches of a couple different flavoring just for the taste.

The one I liked the most was Blueberry Cheesecake!

36mg Nicbase (ECOpure is what was used) - 20 drops
Blueberry - 7 drops (add more for better blueberry)
Cheesecake - 3 drops (I dont recommend going over 3 the cheesecake when mixed strong gives off a bad taste, I'd say its a pretty strong flavoring for a base)

I was mixing at a 2:1 ratio of 2 ECOpure to 1 Flavoring. If my math is correct (which sucks horribly) I believe that is a 33% flavoring.

Other flavors I tried were pralines and cream (nice creamy vape)

marshmellow (to much and it has a bad taste, I recommend 20 - 25%),

bubblegum (taste like the sticks of gum that used to come in baseball card packs)

Strawberry (pretty strong)

Banana Cream (dirty sock taste with only 3 drops, it seems that banana cream and bavarian cream give bad taste I kept getting so far)

I have 18 total flavors so Ill be trying more, I also got my "High" Strawberry TW E-Liquid today and its nice, has a subtle taste to it!

Since I was mixing the lorann flavorings with just PG and/or VG I tasted each one that I mixed and they taste good, but the banana even tho it taste good still gave that nasty taste.

RenaissancePuffer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nice to see you're finding some good flavor combinations! I really really (REALLY) like Marshmellow, it is a great way to sweeten up a flavor. It can be overpowering, but it just works so wonderfully with flavors like pralines and cream and caramel. It also sweetens up Cherry (especially when used in conjunction with cotton candy) a good bit, and makes it very vapable.

There are a ton of different Lorann flavors, I haven't found one yet that I don't like to use.

Scottes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
Boston, MA
scottesrum.com
If you want to vape based on price, but 500ml of 36mg from China for $90.

Where can I get this? The last unflavored I got from China was exactly that, unflavored. I'd get it again... hopefully it'll be the same manufacturer.
There was a thread around here about someone emailing BestEcig and asking for wholesale pricing, and he got 500ml of 36mg for $90. I think that was it. I personally got 500ml of 36mg from BestEcig for $134 i think it was. It's unopened, and will probably stay that way until I get off my .... and sell it, as I do not find other Chinese nic-juice to be truly flavorless.

But... I have to admit that I have not tried any of these nic-juice's straight. I should try vaping Blip's 75mg cut 50/50 with PG, and then try the 40mg brown Chinese-repackaged nic-juice I got from a US vendor. Maybe that bitterness is my imagination, or maybe it's coming from somewhere else.

Applejackson

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
Albany, NY
There was a thread around here about someone emailing BestEcig and asking for wholesale pricing, and he got 500ml of 36mg for $90. I think that was it. I personally got 500ml of 36mg from BestEcig for $134 i think it was. It's unopened, and will probably stay that way until I get off my .... and sell it, as I do not find other Chinese nic-juice to be truly flavorless.

But... I have to admit that I have not tried any of these nic-juice's straight. I should try vaping Blip's 75mg cut 50/50 with PG, and then try the 40mg brown Chinese-repackaged nic-juice I got from a US vendor. Maybe that bitterness is my imagination, or maybe it's coming from somewhere else.

I got my 36mg unflavored from Eastmall a while back. It's very light yellow-clear, and I only get a twinge of sweetness if I vape it straight. No flavor though. Eastmall is $45 for only 100ml and shipping was expensive if I remember correctly though. There're better deals stateside now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread