Does anyone like Nichrome more than Kanthal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
I agree that nichrome is far easier to use if you want a set up that is around 1.5ohms and higher. I use non resistance wire for the top coil...it makes setting up a stable coil....super easy and fool proof. Check out some of my latest posts.... I go into detail how to set up a nichome/NR wire combo setup....it is fool proof and the setup takes less than 5 minutes to do. Once you set it up...you don't have to adjust it until you change the coil.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
In my opinion the only difference in taste would only happen if you were vaping on it and popped a coil, otherwise the wire should not be getting hot enough the be chemically breaking down. So unless you're vaping red hot coils I don't think taste wise that there is any difference. Composition wise it appears that the Kanthal should be the least expensive of the two but due to supply and demand that is not the case. This is only my opinion.

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
Well if both are set up correctly they give a very smooth flavorful vape producing clouds of vapor. The problem with kanthal it has to be set up perfectly to do that. The coil has to go around the wick making minimal contact at all points....if you get too much contact in your wraps it will lead to dead coils. If you have loose wraps....you'll get crazy hot coils...very harsh throat hit. With nichrome you can wrap the coils pretty tightly around the wick without them being dead coils....they will still be very responsive....that is the reason it is way easier to setup nichrome coil vs Kanthal coil.

With Nichrome, you just make your wraps as if the SS mesh is Silica wick....you make you wraps pretty tight but not overly tight. The wraps should be close together....the resulting coil should be very compact. The only problem is that you might have a hot spot at the lead going to the positive post. So I use a wrap of NR Wire as my top coil.

Gr8Scott

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2012
Ifaitoldzya, Umytszlapmi
Well,

This is something that helped me in my decision between the two.

Kanthal is an alloy composed mainly of Iron, Chromium and Aluminum. The main difference between the composition of the different grades of Kanthal is the percentage of Aluminum.

Nichrome is composed Nickel and Chromium (and oft times iron according to wiki). NO Aluminum

Many moons ago when I started researching Nootropics ( a class of drugs that improve impaired human cognitive abilities) I saw a constant repetitive connection between aluminum, Alzheimer's and cognitive deficiency generally. I took it upon myself to avoid aluminum whenever possible and practical, just to be safe.Specifically, I switched from typical deodorant to a "crystal stick" that works better and lasts like 5-7 years instead of weeks/months. Stayed away from aluminum cookware and etc. But, lest I digress...

Now,, a couple in a half decades later, the evidence of high concentrations of Aluminum present in the brains of post Mortem Alzheimer's patients is well documented and at the same time "poo-pooed" as hogwash. The latter most assuredly subsidized by those who would lose craploads of money. Aluminum is everywhere and the industry is global, HUGE negative financial implications.

So, yeah, I'm thinkin' Nichrome is my Huckleberry :)

Vinv

Verified Member
Aug 9, 2012
Space
I fail to see how aluminium can get into your system at the temperatures we vape at ... but im no expert ,correct me if im wrong but when you inhale , you inhale atomized particles of pure liquid , if the heating element would have been something else the material would break apart and you could inhale it , but our heating element does not break apart unless it's like 3500 C ... I mean heating elements are built to heat without breaking apart ...

can we compare it to how we boil water in our ... what's it called .. to make tea ? I doubt the water is not clean , would have not passed FDA .. is that a relevant ? im just thinking out loud :)

I work in a company that has high powered heating elements out of ceramic , and we have thermal engineers , I will ask them about the science behind this thing :)

or is there some kind of alchemy voodoo at play ?

Last edited:

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
i have not found a difference in taste between nichrome and kanthal. however, i have found a difference in taste between different grades of kanthal. A-1 does not give me a metallicy taste. but i do have another grade of kanthal (perhaps A or D, the product description fails to mention grade) that gives me a very metallicy taste. its so bad that i had to completely stop using it. again, the product description fails to mention grade, but i cant help but think its not A-1 or else it would have been mentioned, further it tastes metallicy when the described A-1 does not.
also, the "non-A1" has a different hue. its more brassy looking where the A-1 is more silvery. any insight on this would be helpful.

Last edited:

Gr8Scott

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2012
Ifaitoldzya, Umytszlapmi
I fail to see how aluminium can get into your system at the temperatures we vape at ... but im no expert ,correct me if im wrong but when you inhale , you inhale atomized particles of pure liquid , if the heating element would have been something else the material would break apart and you could inhale it , but our heating element does not break apart unless it's like 3500 C ... I mean heating elements are built to heat without breaking apart ...

can we compare it to how we boil water in our ... what's it called .. to make tea ? I doubt the water is not clean , would have not passed FDA .. is that a relevant ? im just thinking out loud :)

I work in a company that has high powered heating elements out of ceramic , and we have thermal engineers , I will ask them about the science behind this thing :)

or is there some kind of alchemy voodoo at play ?

Please report back with what they say :)

Knowledge is power. I was in a quandry regarding to seemingly equal choices of coil composition and this was what allowed me to reconcile each. I might experiment with Kanthal anyway just as I've no plans to quit vaping with all things silica, even though cotton seems so much safer.

I am just a noob to the vapor doob anyway compared to most,especially re: RA systems, but like I say Knowledge is power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread