Does anyone sell a simple, passive/unregulated passthrough device?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a simple PassThrough cable that is simply a switch wired to the battery cap.

Something with a circuit like this (USB cable optional): http://thehybrid.net/ebay/Misc/DIYUSBPT.jpg
but looks like this: http://www.madvapes.com/MadVapes-5-Volt-510-Manual-USB-Passthrough_p_2155.html

I'm building a variable voltage PassThrough device with a focus to improving the electronics and adding variable voltage, unfortunately almost all USB passthroughs I've used contain either regulators and/or LEDs which will not work for the mod I have planned.

At the moment I am taking apart eGo batteries, removing the li-ion cell, scraping the electronics off the PCB and soldering in my own simple switch and an RCA connector at the base of the unit to attach to my variable voltage power source. It works fine but I'm quickly running out of dead batteries!

I've made tube mods before but I'm waaaay to clumsy with a drill and mounting switches etc, I'd prefer to buy something off the shelf if its available.

I tried the Indulgence USB passthrough but its too expensive for a mass produced unit and the switch is not very good either (too much internal resistance).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Alex

Last edited:

CraigHB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Reno, Nevada
Why can't you just put a USB jack on your variable power source and use the MadVapes passthru as is. Here's one that's similar for $10.

Oh, I reread your post and saw you don't like the voltage drop you're getting with those units.

My personal solution was to make my own out of an old carto tube like this;

passthru2.jpg
passthru3.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Just a power FET (FDS6679AZ), a pull-up resistor (47KΩ), a tactile switch, and a connector. Not much too it

Of course, that's a lot of fabrication which you already said you don't want to do, but it may be a case of living with it or making your own. I haven't seen a battery-less passthru myself other than what MadVapes sells and the one I linked to.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread