Does anyones 510 leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apophis

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
Chulak
I've been vaping since May 2009, but I'm fairly new to using the 510. Last night I was using my laptop while vaping. All of a sudden I noticed a couple of keys were wet. I thought maybe I dribbled, but no.......Nic juice was running down my battery (well, not like a waterfall or anything like that). I quickly wiped it off (my 510) and my fingers too. Now, it wasn't gurgling or anything like that so I know the atty wasn't flooded. Does anyone have any ideas why this would have happened?

SLDS181

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2009
Western NJ
It sounds to me like you flooded it. Is this still hapenning?

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Overfill, it leaks. Gurgling or not, you should not have some much liquid in there that it would spill out and make surfaces wet. If you use carts, your filler isn't doing a good job of keeping liquid in, or too much was in there. If you're dripping, use less drops.

Snarkyone

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Your mom said not to say...
That is one of the reasons the 510 is now about the 3rd or 4th choice when I grab a E-cig to vape. First is the cartomizer, then the 401, then the mod, then the 510 all by itself. It is easy to overfill, the carts are a pain in the ...., the liquid in the mouth, the mess, the battery life, you put it all together and the 510 is not a very good product from a engineering standpoint, it does the job, but barely and not without serious modifications and tweaking on the end users part, certainly not a awesome product right out of the box.

newbutt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I've been using some 901 carts & it seemed to solve the problem for the most part. Plus they seem to wick better & I'm not top off as often. Since I don't own a 901, it was confusing a bit. I got a couple of carts from Outwest with some flavor samples that are kinda D shaped on the atty end,those work the best. I've been using the same 2 for over a month, just wash 'em & restuff 'em.

I bought cheapies from DS that has movable reservoir,it rotates, like in a Joye 302. Had to change the stuffing, didn't even try it. It look like some thin felt folded in half. Anyway,stuffed it with Fluval & it works with no leaks,I just like the other kind better.

Cheers,
NB

Last edited:

Apophis

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
Chulak
I'm using the 901 carts too. I like the feel of it better. Seems more natural than the 510 whistle tips. I don't blow into the mouthpiece. I fill the cart to the point where 1 more drop will give me a pool on top. Maybe that's too much. I've wiped off the threads on both the atty and the battery. My other thought, since this just started happenning the other day, is maybe it's time to blow out the atty.

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
There are air holes just above the threads on the atomizer. These holes are where the air enters the atomizer to produce vapor. If there is too much liquid in the cart or the atomizer is not performing at full force juice will leak out these holes and down the sides of the battery. There are several conditions that will make this worse like topping off too much or topping off with a weak battery ...

With time you will learn just when and how much juice to put into the cart.

Kevin

Brachinus

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2009
Jersey Shore
I blow out and dry-burn my attys every night, I use 901 attys with the straw mod, and I still get leakage. Annoyingly, sometimes it happens quite a while after I refill, and I think I'm doing good until I notice I've got juice all over my fingers.

I'm pretty sure it's from overfilling the carts in an attempt to prolong the time before topping off. I'll get the hang of it eventually. One of my carts has a little wool nib I snipped off a sheepskin car-wash mitt, and it seems to be doing better than the ones with polyfill. But maybe that's because the wool is too dense (it doesn't take many drops before it's brimming).

JohnandMe

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2009
Vancouver, WA
I get a little leakage every now and then. Usually just a little dot of a drop on the side of the mouth piece. I only had one leak big time, like your talking about. I simply over filled it then layed it on its side and when I came back to pick it up about 30 mins later..it was in a little puddle. I'm only toping off with one drip now instead of 2-3 and that seems much better (still have the small dot like drips on the side though sometimes).

kno

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2009
Myrtle Beach, SC, USA
it really sounds like overfilling

and if u see the juice on the top of the atty then it's likely you've gone 1-2 drops too far

once the atty is primed you should only put 2-3 drops in it - no more - and it doesnt have to gurgle to flood

i blow into mine sometimes if theres no vapor and it will flood because theres too much liquid - seriously sounds like the issue your having - use less liquid

gooney0

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2009
Falls Church, VA
Mine leaks a little from time to time. I've found 2 reasons for this:

1) Overfilled.

2) Atty is not performing well / heavy draw.

I think the heavy draw problem causes you to suck fluid into the atty which fails to vaporize. This extra fluid then seeps out of the holes.

Once the atty was properly cleaned my issues went away. More vapor, fewer leaks, lighter draw, better cartridge use, and less prone to flooding.

Try swapping out the atomizer with a newer / cleaner one with a lighter draw.

It also helps to tilt the 510 with the LED up. This way loose juice flows into the cartridge instead of out of the holes.

It is also possible to spill some juice when putting the atty back onto the cart. In this case the juice leaks between the cart and atty, not between the atty and battery.

-Gooney0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread