Does it bother you when people expect you to do all the legwork?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eranda13

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2013
Bethlehem, PA
I have some friends and/or family who started vaping. People I know at work ask me about it. They all seem to want free and easy information and advice.

I really really hate when they ask me things that they could easily find out themselves if they were willing to look it up. And I hate when people ask me when I'm ordering stuff so they can tag on my order.

If you want to know how things work, look it up. If you want to know where the best prices are, do some research. If you want to know what's the best battery or juice for you, try a couple. If you want to know what kind of replacement coils go on your clearos, try google.

I realize that it's easy for other people to just ask me. But I feel like I know a lot of this stuff because I cared enough to do the research. Spend time learning. Ask questions. And I kind of resent when people seem to want to take the easy way out by taking advantage of the fact that I did that.

Am I being stupid or is it reasonable of me to feel like I'm being taken advantage of a little?

umarbutt610

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Hi, I think it all depends on your ownself. As for me I like to talk about it and honestly i do some travelling and in my way every whom i see is ok to talk and is interested, i talk with them my story of quitting. Give them ideas of how they can. I feel that if I could get even a single smoker away from cigs it wud be a job well done for them for their family.

Sent from Android

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
I have some friends and/or family who started vaping. People I know at work ask me about it. They all seem to want free and easy information and advice.

I really really hate when they ask me things that they could easily find out themselves if they were willing to look it up. And I hate when people ask me when I'm ordering stuff so they can tag on my order.

If you want to know how things work, look it up. If you want to know where the best prices are, do some research. If you want to know what's the best battery or juice for you, try a couple. If you want to know what kind of replacement coils go on your clearos, try google.

I realize that it's easy for other people to just ask me. But I feel like I know a lot of this stuff because I cared enough to do the research. Spend time learning. Ask questions. And I kind of resent when people seem to want to take the easy way out by taking advantage of the fact that I did that.

Am I being stupid or is it reasonable of me to feel like I'm being taken advantage of a little?

Now you know what it feels like to be the only computer literate person in the family....

Hey.....could you look at my computer???!!!!?????

KurrptSenate

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 9, 2013
PA
I get this a lot with vaping, as well as with computers. I don't mind sharing knowledge with people even though they are lazy.

I'll be happy to have a quick chat with you about your computer problems, but I stopped trying to explain processes to people. They just don't get it.

I also stopped fixing peoples computers for free lol.

sbc83

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2013
I get this a lot with vaping, as well as with computers. I don't mind sharing knowledge with people even though they are lazy.

I'll be happy to have a quick chat with you about your computer problems, but I stopped trying to explain processes to people. They just don't get it.

I also stopped fixing peoples computers for free lol.

Or the only family member that works on cars...

TLS01

ECF Veteran
May 11, 2013
MN
Now you know what it feels like to be the only computer literate person in the family....

Hey.....could you look at my computer???!!!!?????

Yep, I send them a "let me google that for you" link. 9 out of ten times, it works. If I'm asked about vaping, I give them a link to here and then to casaa to join.

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
I had to finally start drawing a line, so to speak, when it came to my friends that vaped and needed my help all the time. I help them at first with juice, clearos, whatever. I don't mind answering questions and helping. But there have been about four friends that would keep trying to come back to me and say, "Oh, I'm out of juice. Do you have some?", or "Oh, I just used my last carto and need to know where to get more.", etc. Also, with my 24 year old son, he kept asking for stuff and help. Finally I realized that if they were trully going to vape and not smoke, then they would take an interest in it as I have done and do the leg work. I cut the string on them, so to speak. I started telling them if they were out of juice, they were going to have to order more, etc. I've also realized that sometimes a person will never do the legwork and they go back to smoking, but then again it would have been pointless for me to keep helping them if their heart just wasn't into quitting smoking and really taking up vaping. Enoughs enough, as far as I'm concerned.

BernieVideo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
NoHo El Lay CA
This is my main frustration here on ECF.

"Where can I find the cheapest ***** ?"

"I've never heard of the XYZ Mod, what does it look like?"

"What kind of replacement coil does the 123 tank take?"

GOOGLE IT YOURSELF! You could have found out the info yourself in the same time it took you to ask for others to do all the legwork for you.

Now it is different if one says " I have searched for **** and I can't find it. Anyone have a link?"

Ok, that's my rant.

Tapatalking with my thumbs.
Join the CASAA.
Protect your Vaping Rights!

Eranda13

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2013
Bethlehem, PA
If it involves you wicking and coiling RBA/RDAs

most definitely

Yeah I don't even do that. I just get tired of the simple questions like MiamiMom said. I figure if *I* can find it, anyone can find it. They basically just want me to either A) do if for them or B) well... do it for them.

I had a boyfriend like that, who started vaping when I did. I moved ahead of him as far as equipment and he would just "borrow" mine then when he realized it was better. Then there came the "hey, order me some juice would you?" stuff, and the whole intentional-helplessness thing about how to clear clearos and battery contacts and stuff. We broke up and while I don't know for sure, I'd bet my car keys his vaping lasted until he had a problem that couldn't be solved with whatever he had in front of him. In reality, he bought a pack of cigs shortly before he moved out so I knew he wasn't long for it anyway.

I kind of think that if you don't care enough to find out for yourself, then you don't care enough... you know? So why should I do the work for you?

BillyWJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
usa

You could also look at it as they see you as being dependable, intelligent and trustworthy enough to ask you, instead. :)

But, yeah, I went through that for years with computers. If they had a question, I was always the one they asked first - and I don't even work in IT! I had to cut them off, gently. Now I just say "No clue. You know, if you go here, I bet you could find out."

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
So true, Eranda13. Like I said before, I will give juice away and try and work hard to help someone at first, but then that's it and it's up to them. They have to either sink or swim. My friend loved this menthol cotton candy I used to make for her when she first started vaping and she kept coming to my door asking for some. Finally I told her, if you want it, then you are going to have to sit at my table and learn to make it. She learned to make it that night, I wrote a list of all the stuff she needed to order, and told her that was it and it was up to her from that point forward. LOL. She does still thank me that I made her learn. Her poor hands were shaking and she was so scared the first time. ha!

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Being retired, at least I have da time to research, make orders and vape educate da 49 v-verts I've assisted. To my knowledge, not one of 'em is an ECF member! In fact, most aren't vaping any longer...
banghead.gif

BUT, how many folk can say they have aided in extending/improving someone's life?!?!?

Yepper, it can be bothersome at times. But, for moi, da personal rewards are too great to refuse helping. I always totally enjoy when I let someone try my PV for their first time and I get their full moon eyes and new moon grin response!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread