The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Does particular mech mod have anything to do with flavor!

Discussion in 'Mech Mods' started by Joe Vito, Feb 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Joe Vito

Joe Vito Senior Member

Feb 13, 2018
    So I LOVE the SZX Competition mod from Sub Ohm Innovations, however after doing much research it seems that the RDA that comes with the kit is really lacking in flavor production. So if I order this mod, will that have anything to do with my flavor, or that’s all based on my rda?

If it’s all based on the RDA, I’d like to mention that the mod is 25mm in diameter, so if anyone can point me to a very flavorful one at that size that would be much appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Joe Vito

Joe Vito Senior Member

Feb 13, 2018
    Also any recommendations on kits with mod and rda? Looking to spend no more than $200

3. gpjoe

gpjoe Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 30, 2013
    Motown
    The flavor has nothing to do with your mod - the mod is merely a power source.

Flavor has everything to do with your RDA and how you build it.

I can't really recommend an authentic mod in your price range, but have used the Geekvape mech kits and CoilArt Mage mech kit and both are very good for the money. I also own 6 AV Able mod clones that work well, so I assume that an authentic Able would also be nice with a much higher price tag.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Joe Vito

Joe Vito Senior Member

Feb 13, 2018
    I think I’ll go ahead with the SZX mod. It is authentic, I love the look, and the switch seems awesome. I’ll probably just bite the bullet and order the kit...worst case scenario I’ll get a different RDA later on.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Opinionated

Opinionated Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Aug 19, 2015
    Flavor comes from many aspects of your RDA, the relation of your coil to your airflow and the surface area of your coil to name two.

some designs are better than others at providing intense flavor but the air flow needs of higher wattage devices normally cannot provide that design quite as effectively due to the necessities of having wide open airflow, but there are some RDA's that have managed to compensate and get great flavor as well as airflow.

A competition RDA is only after clouds, and so the design aspect normally isn't there... but a good coil with plenty of surface area positioned well in relation to airflow will give you decent flavor even though - it just might take more time to find the sweet spot with the RDA in question.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  6. gpjoe

Oct 30, 2013
    Motown
    I haven't researched it or seen any reviews, but it looks nice. Found it at Vaperev for 102 bucks. Seems reasonable for an authentic SOI kit.

I like that it's got a "standard" deck and side airflow rather than bottom. I had an original Subzero RDA and it leaked like crazy.

Let us know how you like it. :)

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Joe Vito

Joe Vito Senior Member

Feb 13, 2018
    Thanks! The mod itself is labeled a competition mod though...won’t change the flavor at all?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Joe Vito

Joe Vito Senior Member

Feb 13, 2018
    I’ll definitely let you guys know. There’s plenty of video reviews on YouTube. Twisted420’s video is what sold me on it

• Like Like x 1
  9. Opinionated

Supporting member
    Aug 19, 2015
    It'll never be a flavor chaser... but you can figure out how to get more flavor out of it by messing around with how your putting in your coils in relation to the airflow, and making sure your coils have plenty of surface area..

You may even find it provides you the flavor profile you enjoy - that I cannot predict. But it will take patience messing around with coil position ...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Joe Vito

Joe Vito Senior Member

Feb 13, 2018
    No I’m talking about the mod itself is also listed as a competition mod, not the RDA.

11. Opinionated

Supporting member
    Aug 19, 2015
    Again, as already mentioned, the mod is just a power source.

Flavor is all about the RDA..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. gpjoe

Oct 30, 2013
    Motown
    Again, the mod is merely a power source and will not have an impact on your vape quality. There is a difference in voltage drop on mechanical mods, which may have a very minor effect on the voltage that is actually applied to your RDA.

For example, on a fully charged battery you should theoretically have 4.2 volts at your RDA, but if the mod drops 1 volt you will only have 3.2 volts available to your coil. That's would be considered an extreme voltage drop, and very unlikely. Also, as you lower the resistance of your coil the voltage dropped by the mod will increase, which is why people experience hot-button issues when building at extremely low resistance.

This is not unusual and can/will occur with even the best mech mods.

You should be fine. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Here's hoping that you understand what a "hybrid top" mechanical mod is, and understand the safety implications of using one are.

"IMPORTANT NOTE: This is made for a direct battery contact device that is strictly for advanced users ONLY! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! The MOD in question does not have a locking mechanism so keep it away from children! Mechanical MODs are an ADVANCED USER PRODUCT and should NOT be used by ANYONE without the proper knowledge on your Battery's Amp Limit and how to test your Atomizer's resistance. Please be careful when disassembling your MOD."

Understand that the ONLY atomizer or tank that you use on this mod MUST have an extended center pin like the first two below. Using an atomizer without an extended center pin will likely result in an explosion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just looking out for your safety, bro. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. gpjoe

Oct 30, 2013
    Motown
    I'm thinking (hoping) that since he's looking at a kit that that supplied RDA will pass muster. For sure the 510 pin will come into play when he decides to try another RDA.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. Ben85

Ben85 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Mar 16, 2014
    Kent, UK
    Think about this logically, how would the mod have any affect at all on the flavour? It is a tube with a battery in it.

Please make sure you understand these things before you take the plunge. Without sounding condescending in any way, such a question shows lack in your understanding, which means you could get hurt.

• Agree Agree x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.