Does someone understand that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Assi

Multiple ID Suspension
Jun 2, 2016
Got some new Sony Konion VTC5 with a print on them:
Sony_Konion.jpg

If it is true, that Sony would not manufacture those anymore (like I read on some threads and Forums), why does Sony print this on the bare cell?

In any case it Looks like a good anti counterfeiting method

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Sony eSupport - WARNING: eCigs, Vape Pens, and Lithium-Ion Batteries

"
Sony has great concern for the safety of our consumers. We recently became aware that some people may use our cylindrical lithium-ion VTC battery cells ("Li-Ion Cells") in a way that Sony does not intend for them to be used: in eCigarettes and vape pens. Sony has not tested Li-Ion cells in eCigs and vape pens. Because of the high power, Sony Li-Ion Cells require safety precautions and mechanisms to make their use safe. Sony is not aware of eCigarettes or vape pens that have such safety mechanisms. Misuse of Sony Li-Ion Cells in eCigarettes and vape pens may cause a serious risk to personal property and safety.

This issue is important to the US Fire Marshall and to the Consumer Technology Association, who have both released reports or statements on it.

The Sony Li-Ion Cells are sold to manufacturers and meant to power products like power tools that contain certain safety precautions and mechanisms which meet our quality standards.

Please take care to follow all manufacturer guidelines to ensure your safety. For questions about whether a Sony battery cell of any type may be used in a particular product, please email us at cps@am.sony.com. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation."

Cheers
I

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Sony doesn't approve of consumers using their cells outside of battery packs, not protected in BMS (battery management systems). They do not approve of us using them in ecigs as a single, stand-alone cell without protection circuitry.

sony-battery-jpg.529035

If Sony did stop manufacturing the VTC batteries for a while, it was because their main manufacturing plant in Japan was damaged by the earthquake. Sony made new plants in the Phillipines and production is up and running.

Battery management system
201419111240649.jpg

Last edited:

Assi

Multiple ID Suspension
Jun 2, 2016
The policy of Sony is a matter, that I don´t really understand. Is this policy against eCig Comes from their Persuasion that eCigs are bad to our health, or is it the fear of being involved into accidents?
Prohibition cause usually criminality and not waiver on consumption. It is naiv from Sony to think, that People would quit vaporizing, just because of those letters and print on the batteries

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
Legal CYA.

ANTZ would love to hold onto that e-cigarettes explode thing.
Though it's not quite correct. A mod without a battery inside isn't gonna do anything.
Just like a cellphone or a tablet or anything else without its power source is just a fancy doorstop.

So Sony makes it very clear that their batteries haven't been originally designed/tested for use without protective circuitry.

Which is fine.

Read the posts of the mech modders. All practice and preach safety and 'know-what-you're-doing'.
For legal reason Sony may not say so aloud - but I don't think they have issues with folk who know how to handle their products properly. Their fear is them clueless fools who - if things go bad on them - always look for someone else to blame for their own stupidity...

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
It's because vapers use their cells outside of the intended use in battery packs with protection circuitry. I'm sure that if a large group of people were hanging engines filled with nitrous oxide over open fires while throwing angry wasps at them, them Ford would probably have issues with this use of their product.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
I'd be curious to know if any 18650 flashlight suppliers have received the same notice. Or is the battery industry just piling on to the tobacco control agenda?

In principle a flashlight presents the same danger as a mech mod. In our industry most mods are regulated and do in fact have the protective circuits that Sony here demands. Unless I'm wrong and lithium battery flashlights contain all that protective circuitry?

Reactions: Eskie

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I'd be curious to know if any 18650 flashlight suppliers have received the same notice. Or is the battery industry just piling on to the tobacco control agenda?

In principle a flashlight presents the same danger as a mech mod. In our industry most mods are regulated and do in fact have the protective circuits that Sony here demands. Unless I'm wrong and lithium battery flashlights contain all that protective circuitry?
We're talking very different amp draws.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Reactions: Baditude

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
We're talking very different amp draws.
A flashlight is still an incendiary device without a fuse. And I don't think you can provide evidence that all or even most mech accidents are due to the high power used. A short is a short regardless of the intended power level.

I acknowledge that there is more to go wrong with a mech mod than a flashlight. However that is not Sony's position. They based their claim on the lack of what they consider an acceptable protective system, and or the practice of using open batteries not secured in a pack. If you read the letter carefully a flashlight would be no safer in their eyes than a mech mod.

Last edited:

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
It's because vapers use their cells outside of the intended use in battery packs with protection circuitry. I'm sure that if a large group of people were hanging engines filled with nitrous oxide over open fires while throwing angry wasps at them, them Ford would probably have issues with this use of their product.

Nothing like a good old Volkswagen engine block bonfire, no nitrous needed. :D

Reactions: sonicbomb

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

No where close to the same danger. A mechanical mod setup can be easily designed by an uninformed user to draw more amps from the battery than its continuous discharge rate. The end result is an abused battery that will go into thermal runaway and either vent gas or burst into flames or explode. If that mechanical mod has adequate ventilation (best case scenario), not much to report except possibly some burns. However, if it doesn't have adequate ventilation (worse case scenario) that mech becomes a pipe bomb.

proxy.php

When it comes to advanced mass marketed systems like cell phones, laptops, and hybrid electric cars, the system designers of those products have taken appropriate steps to make them "safe" for uninformed end-user use. Purely mechanical unregulated ecig battery mods and uninformed end-users are a dangerous combination.

Most consumer battery operated devices are no where near the limit of the battery's operating limits. The high-end flashlights, ecigs, and remote control toys come to mind as applications that really push a battery's limits. With the RC toys the device is physically far removed from the person so a mishap is inconsequential. With ecigs a mishap is literally in the persons face.

Last edited:
Reactions: KenD

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
No where close to the same danger. A mechanical mod setup can be easily designed by an uninformed user to draw more amps from the battery than its continuous discharge rate. The end result is an abused battery that will go into thermal runaway and either vent gas or burst into flames or explode. If that mechanical mod has adequate ventilation (best case scenario), not much to report except possibly some burns. However, if it doesn't have adequate ventilation (worse case scenario) that mech becomes a pipe bomb.

proxy.php

When it comes to advanced mass marketed systems like cell phones, laptops, and hybrid electric cars, the system designers of those products have taken appropriate steps to make them "safe" for uninformed end-user use. Purely mechanical unregulated ecig battery mods and uninformed end-users are a dangerous combination.

Most consumer battery operated devices are no where near the limit of the battery's operating limits. The high-end flashlights, ecigs, and remote control toys come to mind as applications that really push a battery's limits. With the RC toys the device is physically far removed from the person so a mishap is inconsequential. With ecigs a mishap is literally in the persons face.
You don't seem to have read what I said and wrote a novel by picking one or two sentences out of context of my other comments. I already said that "I acknowledge that there is more to go wrong with a mech mod than a flashlight." Enough said? I did not find it necessary to rehash all that can go wrong with a mech mod, nor am I a fan of mech mods- I don't own one even though I learned Ohm's law almost 50 years ago. I don't own one because I learned the importance of fuses back then.

Sony had two stated issues with use of their batteries in eCigs...

1. That they were used "outside of battery packs"
2. I will quote (from their site, not that letter): Because of the high power, Sony Li-Ion Cells require safety precautions and mechanisms to make their use safe. Sony is not aware of eCigarettes or vape pens that have such safety mechanisms

This post started with a member questioning the following text printed on his battery: "Do Not Use Outside Of Battery Pack". That was repeated in the letter. Flashlights use stand-alone "naked" batteries. Flashlight users are similarly "endangered" by the possibility that they will carry naked batteries in their pockets, along with keys and coins, and light their family jewels on fire. And I questioned if Sony has similarly cautioned flashlight makers and/or resellers. Flashlight users unarguably share this risk equally.

Sony is apparently unaware of any eCig mod that uses what they consider adequate protection. Are they suggesting that, for example, Provapes products are insufficiently engineered? Or engineered less safely than the huge offerings of 18650 flashlights at all price points? Of critical importance, Sony did not suggest "some" eCigs are insufficiently designed (such as mech mods in particular), Sony said NO eCig products are safe enough (thinly veiled by whatever they may or may not be aware of).

I don't know why you plastered pics of exploded mech mods in your response since I was excluding mech mods from my discussion. Sony's letter goes far, far beyond mech mods. It was a condemnation of the entire industry, including some very fine, and very well engineered products like Provape's. And the very caution label printed on their batteries suggests they are very disingenuous unless the same basic letter went out to the flashlight industry.

Reactions: Eskie

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Battery management systems (BMS) control multiple batteries in packs, sometimes incorporating air or water cooling systems to manage battery heat generation. I don't recall Provape or any other regulated mod manufacturer incorporating a BMS in their mods. BMS go far beyond processor protection circuitry in a regulated mod.

It is exactly this setup which Sony designed their batteries to be used in. Ie. hybrid electric cars and industrial battery powered power tools.

201419111240649.jpg

BMS (Battery Management System)

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
Battery management systems (BMS) control multiple batteries in packs, sometimes incorporating air or water cooling systems to manage battery heat generation. I don't recall Provape or any other regulated mod manufacturer incorporating a BMS in their mods. BMS go far beyond processor protection circuitry in a regulated mod.

It is exactly this setup which Sony designed their batteries to be used in. Ie. hybrid electric cars and industrial battery powered power tools.

201419111240649.jpg

BMS (Battery Management System)

You refuse to read what I said...

Flashlights do not use air cooled or water cooled BMS. Users put the same batteries in their 18650 flashlights as we put in our mods. Batteries now marked by Sony "Do Not Use Outside of Battery Pack". Has Sony issued a similar condemnation of the flashlight industry or are they giving all those flashlights a pass?

Here is a $4.38 18650 flashlight sold by Amazon. Do you expect me to believe that Sony approves of whatever protective circuits are in that $4 flashlight but issued Provape and Evolve a Fail on their $200 mods?

https://www.amazon.com/Creazy®-Powe..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=CE20CY0SWN802HYMJ4DF

If you want to argue that flashlights are somehow safer than any of our mods, I would suggest you Google "Lithium Flashlight Explosion". On page one you will find...

Ultrafire 18650 3000mA exploded - CandlePowerForums

Tactical Flashlight Exploded! - YouTube

Flashlight In Mouth Explodes | Ask the Builder

(and you think only mods explode in people's faces and mouths????)

CDC - NIOSH Publications and Products - Exploding Flashlights

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
@VNeal. I don't follow the flashlight forum much any more, so I don't know if Sony has given flashlight users a pass or not. My guess is if you wrote Sony and asked them if you can use their VTC batteries in your flashlights they would say no they were not designed for flashlights. That's my :2c:

Your beef seems to be with Sony, not me, so I won't respond to your responses any longer.

Assi

Multiple ID Suspension
Jun 2, 2016
Baditude -I agree with every word you write, however we have to difer between the risk coming from a dangerous design of device and the General risk of Li-Ion cells without any protection.
I don´t think that the risk of using state-of-the-art eVic mini is much greater than using Bosch Ixo (protection is also in the device). I´ve seen People trying to save Money and inserting Ultra...something as a replacement in their power tool.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
@VNeal. I don't follow the flashlight forum much any more, so I don't know if Sony has given flashlight users a pass or not. My guess is if you wrote Sony and asked them if you can use their VTC batteries in your flashlights they would say no they were not designed for flashlights. That's my :2c:

Your beef seems to be with Sony, not me, so I won't respond to your responses any longer.
Yes my beef is with Sony and it was originally directed at Sony. Not you. It is you that took issue with what I said by totally ignoring the context of my thoughts.

Reactions: Baditude

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I understand Sony's perspective. They are merely trying to protect themselves from a lawsuit. We have idiots in our community who are building 0.05 ohm coils and saying that they are safe because they are using Sony batteries. All it will take is one mod explosion and a civil lawsuit.

Puresmoker was a mechanical mod manufacturer who was forced out of business because they didn't specify what batteries should be used in their mods and then an uninformed user put in the wrong batteries and blew his lower jaw off. Was Puresmoker at fault, or was the consumer? A jury found Puresmoker to be at fault and the consumer was awarded millions of dollars. Puresmoker closed its doors forever.

As a vaper, I am dependent upon lithium ion batteries to be able to vape. As an informed and educated consumer, I believe I know enough about batteries to stay safe no matter what ecig I am using. I don't push my batteries; in fact I use a wide margin of safety beyond the stated amp limits of my batteries. So that is the other side of the argument.

Last edited:
Reactions: KenD

Assi

Multiple ID Suspension
Jun 2, 2016
Batitude - again I agree with you with every word. I am living in Germany and we have 3 main Forums, that among other subjects, deal very intensively with Li-Ion batteries and their risks. We had as well some cases (1 or 2) of wounded People, however in both cases devices and batteries appeared to be cheap fakes from China.
I understand also Sony and other manufacturer, that are afraid of those cases, however and this is my main issue...if those manufacturer like Sony, LG, or SDI would prohibit (or trying to do so) the use of their batteries as a result we will have all counterfeitings coming from China.
In Germany we reached (to my opinion) a good Situation, in which the local Dealers get genuine OEM batteries for really good Prices. So-Called Chinese Brands have hard entrance into the market. They are usually more expensive and we have enough good People, who test those batteries like Mooch does it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread