Does the mod affect the type/quality of the vape when using the same tank on a different mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Uh.... definitely YES.

You can just call the mod "the power source" but there is a ton more to it than that. DNA devices tend to give a pretty precise, consistent vape. Different board designs totally affect how much power is "converted" to wattage. Different mods can also read the coil differently even if the difference is minute, it is still a difference. My tesla mods all read the coil slightly high, and their wattage is "higher" than some of my other mods (in the sense that a "watt" on a Tesla board is different than others.

I'd agree the issue totally magnifies with TC involved, but even without it, the better mod you have (for you anyway) the better vape you are going to obtain.

I think psychology can play into it certainly-- if you are "fond" of a particular mod then it may be some sort of reinforcing cycle of "it gives me a better vape" then you come to like the mod and sort of magnify its difference.

My darn Smoant Cylon is in retirement, they had tons of problems, it's actually my first mod in need of repair, but I used it like crazy because it just somehow gave me what I considered a spectacular vape experience. If I can find one over thanksgiving for a reasonable price, I may well buy one. I liked it that much.

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
During its hey day, Provari owners claimed it provided a "smoother vape". Although that description is subjective, there was some scientific rationale to explain this. When regulated mods are hooked up to an oscilloscope, the vast majority of regulated mods of the time used PWM of around 34 Hz (the "rattlesnake effect"), while the Provari and a few other mods used a PWM of 800 Hz. The higher PWM waveform was similar to the flat waveform of a mechanical mod or DNA mod.

The Rattlesnake Effect- Why the Cheapo VV [Exception Itaste MVP] Don't Vape the Same as a Provari or DNA20D
The Different Types of Power In E-Cigs

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
During its hey day, Provari owners claimed it provided a "smoother vape". Although that description is subjective, there was some scientific rationale to explain this. When regulated mods are hooked up to an oscilloscope, the vast majority of regulated mods of the time used PWM of around 34 Hz (the "rattlesnake effect"), while the Provari and a few other mods used a PWM of 800 Hz. The higher PWM waveform was similar to the flat waveform of a mechanical mod or DNA mod.

The Rattlesnake Effect- Why the Cheapo VV [Exception Itaste MVP] Don't Vape the Same as a Provari or DNA20D
Thanks Bad, I knew someone would 'splain it. LOL

:)

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario

So what you're saying is that mechs have the smoothest vape :wub:

Thing that makes me wonder though is that link talks about a DNA20D. From a vaping standpoint, it would be like if we're talking about aircraft and reference a biplane from WW1.

I don't know if the chinese mass produced stuff is necessarily that far off anymore.

Personally, between my mechs, higher end regulated, mosfet, and chinese regulated mods I don't notice a perceptible difference. Or at least using better cotton, juice, coils, and an RDA have a much bigger impact in my personal experience (when trying to evaluate the overall satisfaction I get from vaping).

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
So what you're saying is that mechs have the smoothest vape :wub:

I don't know if the chinese mass produced stuff is necessarily that far off anymore.

Personally, between my mechs, higher end regulated, mosfet, and chinese regulated mods I don't notice a perceptible difference.
c0YsFtF.png

Some folks believe mechs, DNA mods, and those regulated mods with "elite" chipsets have the smoothest vape. I've owned a Provari, DNA, and mech mods and tend to agree with that opinion. I won't go any further than that. ;)

I will agree that today's Chinese mass produced regulated mods vape far better than those of a few years ago. You can probably thank reverse-engineering and outright theft of intellectual property for that.

Last edited:

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Yes! Even when the mods are the same type. Even when you change batteries.

I've noticed that with batteries. When the battery starts to get low the vape quality sometimes goes off, with a new battery it comes right back. Always wondered why that happens.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I've noticed that with batteries. When the battery starts to get low the vape quality sometimes goes off, with a new battery it comes right back. Always wondered why that happens.
This is most noticable with mechanical or unregulated mods. The ability to fire the coil depends entirely upon the charge left in the battery. Once the battery voltage falls below a certain point, say 3.4 volts, the amount of electrical current to the coil will be markedly deficient, so the vape will suffer. The vape experience with a mech or unregulated mod will never be better than with a fully charged battery, after using it it will be gradually downhill for the rest of your vape.

Regulated mods differ in using a circuit board to "regulate" the battery current to the coil depending upon the power output the user has set. You set the regulator to put out 30 watts and it will faithfully put out that wattage until the battery no longer has the voltage to put out 30 watts.

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
Some folks believe mechs, DNA mods, and those regulated mods with "elite" chipsets have the smoothest vape. I've owned a Provari, DNA, and mech mods and tend to agree with that opinion. I won't go any further than that. ;)

Today's Chinese mass produced regulated mods vape far better than those of a few years ago. You can probably thank reverse-engineering and outright theft of intellectual property for that.
c0YsFtF.png

Today's Chinese mass produced regulated mods vape far better than those of a few years ago. You can probably thank reverse-engineering and outright theft of intellectual property for that.

This isn't targeted towards you but rather the community at large.

Every time I see the ProVari circle jerk it makes me roll my eyes. It's like listening to grandpa talk about how in his youth things were so much better.

Grandpa, I understand how you think the apples from your youth were so much crisper and juicier. But I think it might be because for 9 months of the year you ate salted beef and boiled potatoes. And that's only if great grandpa didn't blow his earnings on smokes and booze. I don't think it's because apples are not as good anymore.

Every time I hear someone gush about their ProVari and explain in excruciating detail why it's the pinnacle of American innovation, it makes me wonder if people had to use silicone drip tips to avoid getting impregnated while taking a hit off one.

I'm sorry but when we're talking about a 10W or 20W max output with a 2.5 amp draw or whatever, it may have been super impressive back when cassette tapes were considered sci-fi, but no longer are the days where we lounge by the radio listening to our favourite Sherlock Holmes crime mystery show.

My dad's $6,000 50 inch projection TV from the mid 90s may have made him the big man at work, but these days a $150 walmart no name LCD puts it to shame.

Again, not directed at you. I know you're fair and reasonable. But Jesus i'm sick from hearing how ProVaris died for our sins, won us the war against the Nazis, were responsible for insulin and helping millions of diabetics, and is the only reason mom and dad are still together.

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Have a look at DJLsb’s objective measurements – we can see not all VW/VV devices output a smooth signal. The below measurement shows how wavy this signal can become – the flatter the signal, the more stable. How this is perceived by the user is subjective.

Signal A.jpg

Signal B.jpg

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
This isn't targeted towards you but rather the community at large....Every time I see the ProVari circle jerk it makes me roll my eyes. It's like listening to grandpa talk about how in his youth things were so much better....Again, not directed at you. I know you're fair and reasonable. But Jesus i'm sick from hearing how ProVaris died for our sins, won us the war against the Nazis, were responsible for insulin and helping millions of diabetics, and is the only reason mom and dad are still together.
Dom, I have to ask, did you ever own or use a Provari?

By today's standards, the original Provari's are underpowered. Provape catered to a niche group of vapers who were not interested in high wattage vaping (tootle puffers). Although I am no longer one of those, there are still many vapers who still use them and believe they are the best thing since sliced bread.

You've been vaping since 2015, so you know what gear was available at the time. For many vapers, the Provari represented the gold standard of vaping. A select few consumer items enjoyed a reputation for excellence: Craftsman tools, Maytag washers, for PBusardo it was a particular turntable.

You may roll your eyes, now. ;)

Last edited:

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
You've been vaping since 2015, so you know what gear was available at the time. For many vapers, the Provari represented the gold standard of vaping.

You may roll your eyes, now. ;)

Past tense!

Every time I see a picture of a ProVari I take off my hat and thank it for its service.

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Past tense! Every time I see a picture of a ProVari I take off my hat and thank it for its service.
You are right. It would be unreasonable to say a vape mod represents todays gold standard if they haven't been made for 2 years.

I only brought up the Provari because of the OP's topic of how different mods can be perceived to give a better vape than others.

Last edited:

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
Those of us who lived through the wars (the vape wars, that is) will always have fond memories of the first accurate and reliable device made available to the masses. It aint so much nostalgia - it is a good and valid reference point. Pro-va-ri

Back to the original topic - some liquids will taste a lot different with only a small change in applied voltage (read wattage, temperature, whatever). I would suspect that the two devices are outputting different power levels - that, or you got a duff coil.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
@Baditude – you have any objective measurements of ProVari? Tried searching but seems Google is suffering from a bad case of the Mondays….or perhaps I’m suffering from a PEBCAK error. I’m just curious. Thx
PBusardo puts all the regulated mods on an oscelloscope for his reviews.

Edit: I thought PBusardo put the Provari on the oscelloscope in the above video, but browsing through it just now I see that he didn't.

All of my links to Provari performance tests are no longer available on the internet (dead links). :(

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
PBusardo puts all the regulated mods on an oscelloscope for his reviews.

That looks to be a volt meter, not an oscilloscope which will have a much higher resolution and display how stable that signal is across a short period of time. But if that is all that is available that is fine. Thx

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
That looks to be a volt meter, not an oscilloscope which will have a much higher resolution and display how stable that signal is across a short period of time. But if that is all that is available that is fine. Thx
Yeah, as I said above, most of my reference material on the Provari's performance seems to no longer be available on the internet (now dead links). Many were on ECF's Provape sub-forum but since Provape went out of business that forum disappeared.

I would refer you to read the ECF thread The Rattlesnake Effect- Why the Cheapo VV [Exception Itaste MVP] Don't Vape the Same as a Provari or DNA20D

146747-9c70a57071c72688b69188f3a5864e5a.jpg
Oscelloscope wave form for the Vamo (jagged) 34 Hz.
146748-6b13478453b2e9a3220415ce008d300f.jpg
Oxcelloscope wave form for the Provari (flat line) 800 Hz

The above images won't enlarge here, but if you go to the above link they will enlarge if you click on them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread