Does the resistance of a coil increase if it gets burnt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
IDK. I've had coils burn out without a resistance change. Some minor resistance changes could occur over time, I guess, depending on the coil material, but I don't believe a coil has to change resistances to be burnt. What I usually notice is decreased vapor production (in a drop in coil) just prior to a burnt taste, which is what tells me the coil is burnt.

Are you experiencing this with your coils, specifically? Higher resistance plus taste of burnt coil? Because I don't think I've heard of this as a general rule of thumb. I guess it's possible with your specific setup, but I'd be surprised. It is equally as possible that I don't notice any slight resistance change, but I have definitely had coils burn out without any resistance change.

Some more information about what is happening, and why you are linking the two ideas together might be helpful.

Welcome,
Anna

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Nope. What burns in a coil cartridge is the wick. The problem is the cartridge is called a “coil” even though it is a coil and wick and the actual coil in the cartridge will outlast the wick by several orders of magnitude.

One might ask then “why not just replace the wick then?” That is done. They call such a device an RBA.

Asmani

May 18, 2018
Iran
Nope. What burns in a coil cartridge is the wick. The problem is the cartridge is called a “coil” even though it is a coil and wick and the actual coil in the cartridge will outlast the wick by several orders of magnitude.

One might ask then “why not just replace the wick then?” That is done. They call such a device an RBA.
That's a big source of misunderstanding. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread