The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Does the resistance of a coil increase if it gets burnt?

Discussion in 'Battery Mods' started by Asmani, May 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Asmani

Asmani Senior Member

May 18, 2018
    Iran
    I have a Vaporesso Target Pro. It shows the resistance of the coil on its LCD. My question has two parts:

A. Same resistance as before --> surely not burnt?

B. Burnt --> surely increased resistance?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    IDK. I've had coils burn out without a resistance change. Some minor resistance changes could occur over time, I guess, depending on the coil material, but I don't believe a coil has to change resistances to be burnt. What I usually notice is decreased vapor production (in a drop in coil) just prior to a burnt taste, which is what tells me the coil is burnt.

Are you experiencing this with your coils, specifically? Higher resistance plus taste of burnt coil? Because I don't think I've heard of this as a general rule of thumb. I guess it's possible with your specific setup, but I'd be surprised. It is equally as possible that I don't notice any slight resistance change, but I have definitely had coils burn out without any resistance change.

Some more information about what is happening, and why you are linking the two ideas together might be helpful.

Welcome,
    Anna

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Asmani

Asmani Senior Member

May 18, 2018
    Iran
    Thanks! The resistance hasn't changed, but now I conclude that they are burnt.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Nope. What burns in a coil cartridge is the wick. The problem is the cartridge is called a “coil” even though it is a coil and wick and the actual coil in the cartridge will outlast the wick by several orders of magnitude.

One might ask then “why not just replace the wick then?” That is done. They call such a device an RBA.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Asmani

Asmani Senior Member

May 18, 2018
    Iran
    That's a big source of misunderstanding. Thanks.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.