does the smoke still age you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuziQ

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2008
Nr London, UK
Too late for me too, but every little helps. I turned 49 yesterday eeeek!!!! I try to keep young but haven't resorted to botox yet. Nothing is going to "keep" you young physically. This is something I have learned over the years. My father is almost 83 and I hope I take after him. He is about 40 in his head. That is probably the secret...to be young inside and keep learning. Good genes help. Please God that I have them.

Frankie

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Slovakia
What exactly causes aging of the skin for smokers? That might be the answer to the original question, too. If it is the smoke, then our skins will not age any more than those of nonsmokers. If it is caused by nicotine, then it´s just bad luck.

Anyway, aging skin is one of the last worries for a heavy smoker, I believe.

Edit: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, then! May the next 49 will be at least as good as the first:D

SuziQ

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2008
Nr London, UK
Happy Birthday SuziQ! I'm already in my 50's and yes that's old,eek.
But if your avatar is you now, you have nothing to worry about.

Nah, that is the real Suzi. I am an old bat, lol. Thanks for the birthday wishes though, nice of you to send them. :)

Must go to bed soon. I am tired now that I am in my dotage and have had too much wine. I am having to type this with one eye closed as otherwise I can't spell, lol

Last edited:

PeteMcArthur

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2008
Scotland
haha Frankie, I should be so lucky (if healthy). I am not holding my breath though. It is not wonderful to be this age. Worse is to come though next year8-o Some don't manage it though and so I should be grateful I suppose. (doom and gloom)
Thank you for your birthday wishes.

I faced that problem 2 years ago, there is a simple answer though, take lots of alcohol or any other mind altering substance of your choice, go to rock concerts and try not to think Jesus I'm old enough to be their grandfather, and generally behave disgracefully. If you have children, try to embarrass them at all times, a particularly good trick is to drag your 17 year old son to a Motorhead concert and after he has recovered, tell all his friends all about it.
:evil::evil:

Last edited:

Mr.Darcy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2008
UK
i am new to e cigarettes and have been looking into it as i posted earlier. As most know, cigarettes age the skin but do e cigarettes still do? i have an understanding that it is water vapor and some other additives but im unclear on if it will age you.
ive often thought about this...

with cigarettes its about free radicals,restricted blood flow and damaging the supply of collagen to the skin-which causes wrinkling and inelasticity...this happens with tobacco smoke...nobody really knows about the long term effect of ecig vapour...i assume its not as damaging as tobacco smoke in these ways,but nothing is proven...im just hoping its going to be better...

but theres one other thing which has an effect...the repetitious physical act of smoking...
we drag from a cigarette-eventually puckering the skin around our mouths..
we squint from the smoke-eventually wrinkling the skin around our eyes...

with esmoking,the eye area wont be wrinkling as much,because the vapour doesnt make us squint...but the thing ive been thinking about is the mouth area...

i reckon we have to suck harder on most ecigs than we ever did on cigarettes...and as many people vape more than they smoked,we do this more often...
id expect the area around the mouth to suffer because of this eventually...

how much this damage will be offset if vapour isnt as bad as tobacco smoke for skin elasticity...well who knows...

slianfoxob

ECF Veteran
Dec 2, 2008
Bethlehem, PA
i am new to e cigarettes and have been looking into it as i posted earlier. As most know, cigarettes age the skin but do e cigarettes still do? i have an understanding that it is water vapor and some other additives but im unclear on if it will age you.

like everyone else has said, it's too early to know yet. however, i've only been vaping for about two weeks and i've noticed a big difference in my skin complexion and elasticity. One of the symptoms of quitting analogs is outbreaks of acne but I apparently lucked out (so far) and have only seen improvements.

While I'm sure that the thousands of chemicals in regular cigs contribute to the speeding up of the aging process I would assume that nicotine is the biggest culprit. Your skin thrives on good circulation and nicotine makes that very difficult. I've started vaping with a low dose nic and plan on switching to zero (maybe...haha).

So, I can't say for sure if ecigs will help put you on a more normal aging pattern but I've certainly noticed an improvement in my skin and I'm sure I'll start noticing a difference in my hair and nails soon as well.

Foxy

Mscoffee

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2008
N. of seattle Wa. USA
If it is circulation issue, then vaping should improve skin condition, because even if we have the same nic content (and vasoconstriction), we do not have CO and CO2 that make our blood thicker and harder to get where it is needed, I believe.
That would be awesome if correct, another benefit of esmoking.

Dale

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2008
Mt. Baldy, CA USA
Doesn't nicotine cause hardening of the arteries no matter how it's taken? If it has that effect on arterial tissue it might have a similar effect on skin elasticity.

I'd never considerd it thoughtfully before. I always assumed we smokers got our Keith Richards on because we were so often exisitng in a cloud of smoke like a kipper or something. I thought we were being cured like a ham from the outside.

Frankie

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Slovakia
Well...
-----------------
": staying off drugs, no smoking, eating fish, vegetables, fruits, high fiber cereals, instead of pork, beef, eggs, diary products (skim milk is good); exercising every day by aerobic exercises, brisk walking, swimming, tai chi, ballroom dancing or rock & rolling, learning how to relax, preferably with family, a friend, or friends, with good music and a good laughter, watching your weight. Being at peace with others and, especially with yourself, brings down the adrenalin and harmful chemicals in our system, and increases the endomorphins and other good chemicals in our body, and slows down aging and hardening of the arteries."
-------------------------

I think I will rather keep my skin aging nicely, thank you :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread