Doggystyle vs. Coppervape Hussar Project X (style)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
I've been a Doggy style user for a few years. I live the simplicity and efficiency.

If I had complaint with the Doggies, they would be a) a little harsher hit than others, and b) lack of an offset between the screws and limited space on the deck. I realise the small deck helps keep the chimney size down and that's worthwhile, but the lack of offset screws and size make for harder work for these matures hands and fingers. Othewise, the Doggies are lightweight, simple and great bang-for-the-buck.

I saw something interesting in a recent thread...the Coppervape Hussar Project X. Not as simple in construction, not pricey, but <$20 would be nice. While I found quite a bit about the X setup, etc. I did't see a lot regarding (comparative?) performance. The weight is clearly more than the Doggies.

Does someone have experience with both the Doggies and the Project X (style) and can offer perfomance evaluations? I'm an MTL vaper.

Other attys may be considered...along the lines of the Doggie, but with a little more room and screw offset. Still like to find in the sub-$20 range.

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    G'day @Cool_Breeze :thumbs:
    I have the Project X on its way and am looking forward to it Very much but I don't have a Doggy(yet)
    So I'm no help, As Usualo_O
    But if I'm not mistaken @AngeNZ has both the Doggy and the Project X, so if you ask nicely I think she will give you a good comparison of the two:D

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Yep I have and love both. The main differences is the Project X is a doddle to coil - but trickier to wick. Whereas once you have a coil in the Doggy, it's a piece of cake to wick.

I also find the project X gives you incredible flavour and smoothness. But the Doggy also has awesome flavour. To be fair, if you gave me a choice between the Project X and the Doggy, I couldn't decide ;)

One of our resident X-filers @ShowMeTwice has written an amazing coil and wicking guide to the Project X. Have a look through it and see if it's in your ballpark.

Coiling Guide:
    Hussar Project X RTA Clone (by Coppervape)

Wicking Guide:

Putting it all together:

Anyway, if you prefer the SXK smaller airflow doggy RTA, then this will suit you:
    https://www.fasttech.com/products/3042/10058239/9701119

If you prefer the airier SJMY doggy RTA, choose this one:
    https://www.fasttech.com/products/3042/10058239/9678554

Last edited:

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    Airflow is different on the MTL X, you cannot twist the base to control airflow. Instead you have to use airflow inserts.

But they do seem to play nice with a high ohm coil.

Also something else that may well be worthy of making it onto your list @Cool_Breeze, is the Ulton Tripod (Atmizoo Tripod clone).

They're easy to build, can be setup for MTL or DTL by the inclusion or exclusion of a chamber reducer, chimney reducer and airflow pins. And most importantly the drip tip can be replaced easily with a 510 drip tip if needs be.

Only downside is that the o rings are not correctly sized and this can make things much more difficult than they need be, but at least you can replace o rings easily enough.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 10, 2011
    Kentucky
    Yep I have and love both. The main differences is the Project X is a doddle to coil - but trickier to wick. Whereas once you have a coil in the Doggy, it's a piece of cake to wick.

I also find the project X gives you incredible flavour and smoothness. But the Doggy also has awesome flavour. To be fair, if you gave me a choice between the Project X and the Doggy, I couldn't decide ;)

One of our resident X-filers @ShowMeTwice has written an amazing coil and wicking guide to the Project X. Have a look through it and see if it's in your ballpark.

Coiling Guide:

Wicking Guide:

Putting it all together:

Anyway, if you prefer the SXK smaller airflow doggy RTA, then this will suit you:

@AngeNZ - Thank so much for the info, links and all. Form what your say, I might surmise the Project X is smoother than the doggy. That and the offset screws may sell it for me.

Have you tried the entended tank? If so, any comments there? It may be over budget, but if it is a great vape, would be worth it. PS I'm an unflavored, in Nic, MTL vaper. Thanks again!

Reactions: AngeNZ

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    @AngeNZ - Thank so much for the info, links and all. Form what your say, I might surmise the Project X is smoother than the doggy. That and the offset screws may sell it for me.

Have you tried the entended tank? If so, any comments there? It may be over budget, but if it is a great vape, would be worth it. PS I'm an unflavored, in Nic, MTL vaper. Thanks again!

I haven't used it, but those who have love it. And it makes no difference to the flavour. However the extension tank will only work on the regular Project X, and not on the MTL Project X

• Agree
    Reactions: Mordacai

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 10, 2011
    Kentucky

Coiling Guide:

Wicking Guide:

Putting it all together:

Thanks @AngeNZ for the info, links and comments. From what I gather, the Project X may be smoother than the Doggy style. That and the ofset screws may made it my next Mod. I haven't bought one other the Doggies in a while.

Have you tried the extention tank? Do you have any comments on that?

Thanks again...CB.

EDIT: The hex-head screw in the deck...it that for air...juice or..?

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Thanks @AngeNZ for the info, links and comments. From what I gather, the Project X may be smoother than the Doggy style. That and the ofset screws may made it my next Mod. I haven't bought one other the Doggies in a while.

Have you tried the extention tank? Do you have any comments on that?

Thanks again...CB.

EDIT: The hex-head screw in the deck...it that for air...juice or..?

I haven't used it, but those who have love it. And it makes no difference to the flavour. However the extension tank will only work on the regular Project X, and not on the MTL Project X

The hex screw on the deck is still a mystery for me. It doesn't control anything major however ;)

Reactions: Cool_Breeze

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 29, 2015

Coiling Guide:

Wicking Guide:

Putting it all together:

What are off set screws as opposed to the Doggie screws, please.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 10, 2011
    Kentucky
    @JustWondering - Hi. On a 'Doggie' the screws are in a line 90 degrees from the line of the wick and coil. This causes one to have to bend the legs of the coil towards the middle of the coil. That can create opportunity for shorts or other conflicts and can be harder to secure in the screws. With 'offset' screw heads, the legs of a coil will more likely line up with the securing edges of the screws. There's not a lot of room on the top of a Doggie deck. Offset screws can provide more area to work in and less bending of coil legs to get them in place.

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 29, 2015
    @JustWondering - Hi. On a 'Doggie' the screws are in a line 90 degrees from the line of the wick and coil. This causes one to have to bend the legs of the coil towards the middle of the coil. That can create opportunity for shorts or other conflicts and can be harder to secure in the screws. With 'offset' screw heads, the legs of a coil will more likely line up with the securing edges of the screws. There's not a lot of room on the top of a Doggie deck. Offset screws can provide more area to work in and less bending of coil legs to get them in place.

Thanks!

Reactions: Cool_Breeze
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread