Status
Not open for further replies.

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
Do a google search for this buried stuff before buying.. It is not as good as a wire above ground.. I have one and works very well for certain areas. If a dog is just determined to get out, it will.. nothing replaces a real fence.. If you do run electric fencing make sure it has more an 1 strand of wire.. Like at least 3 or 4 so that the dog cant jump over it and cant crawl under it... While working woth it I have been zapped a couple of times and it is very unpleasant to say the least.. I do not use it as my only means of controlling a dogs movement.. I use real fencing and have this wire to keep them out of certain parts of the yard.. But do a search and get real reviews.. Imho

BostonVape

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2013
BeanTown
My friend has the kind that you bury under the ground and the dogs wear the collars that if they cross the fence a beeping goes off on their collar snd tney have so much time to cross back over before they get shocked. She said hers went over it one time and they have not crossed over it again.

Brought to you by Tapatalk

I also heard that the buried fence doesnt work in heavy rain? not sure if its true or not but saw several reports of peoples animals getting out in the rain and the shocks never came

wvducklady

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2013
US
My friends fence has an option of being buried or left above ground. I am just telling what my friend says about the fence she has since I do not use one with my German Rottweiler. Of course Big Moe should research it, but I am sure she plans to since she was just wanting opinions or suggestions.

Big Moe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
Ohio
www.vaporbomb.com
Thank you everyone for the posts. I have an American Rottweiler and the few teams he has managed to escape from Alcatraz ( our house ) he goes out does his business and comes back in. Now my Chow Chow on the other hand he makes a run for it and if he doesn't stop to use the bathroom I will not catch him which worries me because I do not want him getting hit by a car. That was why I was contemplating electrical fence instead of privacy fence.

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
My experience with Invisible Fence and other brands was very positive. (I also use shock collars for training my dogs. It sounds cruel, but people have to understand that the shock level can now be controlled precisely and kept to a minimum, but the idea is negative feedback)
They worked for me quite well. Mine was both buried and on the ground in garden beds. The signal intensity can be set to give a vibration / sound warning before a shock. It is an unpleasant shock for sure. I think you can also control how close to the wire they can get before the collars start to trigger.
I have Rotties and they can be bull headed, but the fence does hold them generally. I did see one who got the idea he could jump the fence somehow. Never did understand that but I did happen to look out the window to see him in the air getting shocked as he flew over the ground where the wire was buried.
The big problem with this type of fence is keeping other dogs out of your yard. There is nothing to prevent the from entering. They do work just fine in any kine of weather. The trick is training your dogs to the boundaries and that entails the use of some type of marking flags and walking the boundary with the dogs when the fence is first installed. The flags come out slowly over time as the dogs learn the boundary.
Hope this helps a little.....

wvducklady

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2013
US
Thank you everyone for the posts. I have an American Rottweiler and the few teams he has managed to escape from Alcatraz ( our house ) he goes out does his business and comes back in. Now my Chow Chow on the other hand he makes a run for it and if he doesn't stop to use the bathroom I will not catch him which worries me because I do not want him getting hit by a car. That was why I was contemplating electrical fence instead of privacy fence.

I had a dog a couple years ago that would just take off running down the road sometimes. It was funny though, because he would go down to the restaurant/bar thats a 2 minute drive from the house, and they gave him cheeseburgers and stuff. I did not know he was getting food until after we gave him to my sister. Lol
Now Ram (my rotty) he has wandered off down my road, but he goes to the neighbors house every time. Lol He lovesmy neighbor. Lol

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
wish somebody could come up with something that would keeps other dogs out.........
I have no problem with my dog taking off, it's just other dogs that are left off leash who's owners can't control them...
just sayin'
g
That would be the "million dollar" trick..... It used to drive me nuts they way people would let their dogs roam the neighborhood while ours were staying in the yard. I didn't mind cleaning up after my own hounds, but cleaning up after another dog, no thanks....lol

Big Moe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
Ohio
www.vaporbomb.com
This is kind of mean--- please don't think I am generally mean because I am not but this particular situation was really pushing my nerves. There is a younger lady down the road that has a small dog that she walks all the time. That's great but she never picked up the poop and for some reason that dog liked dropping off the tootsie rolls in my yard just like everyone else I don't mind picking up my own but I don't wasn't to pick up others. This was a daily occurrence same time everyday so I got sick of it and started talking my Rott outside in the front yard everytime she started coming down the street she would pull her dog way over to the otherside because she was worried my dog would attack hers. Since then I have not seen her once in my yard...

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
This is kind of mean--- please don't think I am generally mean because I am not but this particular situation was really pushing my nerves. There is a younger lady down the road that has a small dog that she walks all the time. That's great but she never picked up the poop and for some reason that dog liked dropping off the tootsie rolls in my yard just like everyone else I don't mind picking up my own but I don't wasn't to pick up others. This was a daily occurrence same time everyday so I got sick of it and started talking my Rott outside in the front yard everytime she started coming down the street she would pull her dog way over to the otherside because she was worried my dog would attack hers. Since then I have not seen her once in my yard...

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over what you did. It worked with no loss of life or dog fights which to me is a good day. Sort of like winning through intimidation.....:D

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
I felt like she deserved it but to bad the tootsie rolls are being left at the neighbors house across the street ;)

No doubt.... it's just plain old lousy dog owner manners. Drives me nuts to see people walk in front of our place and let their dogs relieve themselves then guiltily walk away. If I see someone, I'll walk out with a plastic grocery bag and greet them saying they probably forgot their pick up bags, but they are welcome to one of mine. Works some of the time, but mostly I get grumbled at as the owners quickly retreated....lol. But I do have fewer "presents" in my yard now.
Like I said before, don't sweat it. You did good!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread