Dominus Mods Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

COM76

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2010
QLD, Australia
Dominus mods Club - Thought i would take a few moments to start a thread relating to all the Dominus mods line. Currently the Dominus Fecit Brushed/Polished is the only PV Dominus mods has built, however there is soon to be a line of accessories to the current model.

Dominus Fecit Accessories:
Hybrid Adapter for the the Kayfun 3.1 (Currently available from Vape Rev)
Bottom switch (The Dominus Fecit comes with a side button as stock)
Hybrid Dripper (Prototype already made)
Hybrid Air Flow Control (Prototype already made)
Hybrid RBA Tank.

Currently the Dominus is only available at Vape Rev (In America)

Details on the Dominus Fecit Mod -

The Dominus Fecit (Latin, for Lord Made) is in a class all its own. Designed and manufactured locally in Southern California by Dominus Mods. This mechanical mod is equipped with a side fire button that has a unbelievable short throw of approximately 1 mm making it effort less to fire up! Built in lock ring, the switch uses magnets instead of a spring. Adjustable brass positive post and self adjusting (spring loaded) negative post allow the mod to accept many variations of 18000 series batteries without having to make adjustments to the mod to accommodate them. Each mod is laser engraved on the bottom of the device and is individually serial number.

The Dominus comes complete with care manual, spare contact nut for the switch, spare negative post spring, 18490 and 18650 tube extensions. The main 18350 tube and 18650 extension have grooved rings machined into them to allow easier grip when removing or re-installing the tubes onto the device. Built in battery vent holes on the top cap and bottom button assembly were added for aesthetics and purpose.

Reviews for the Dominus Fecit:
Hill Giant -
Dominus Fecit by Dominus Mods Review - YouTube
Fudgeball - Dominus Mods - Dominus Fecit - YouTube
ArmedVapor - Dominus Fecit Mod by Dominus Mods - YouTube
(please note: Some of the reviews make mention to the button becoming dislodged, this however has been fixed in the current version).

Here is a link to the Dominus Mods Face Book page where there is photo's and details of the Dominus Fecit and the accessories that are in the making - https://www.facebook.com/DominusMods

I myself was blown away by this mod from the moment i received it. I have since been in contact with the maker of the mod David. Along with his work on the accessories for the Dominus Fecit he is also looking into different plating options for the contacts and switch. He is testing Rhodium, Silver and Gold.

Hopefully some owners of the Fecit will post some of their pictures and opinions of the mod. I have a few pictures with some different RBA's i will add later.

COM76

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2010
QLD, Australia
Here is a photo of the Air flow controller and the new dripper - they are both 1st production prototypes.

This is what David said on his FB page about them - "Finished the 1st production prototype. It is an improvement in design and performance. Its on tour for testing and suggestions. Its has just started its tour at Vaperev and i look forward to the comments and suggestions from those i am lucky enough to have test."

Looks pretty sweet and the idea of the air coming from the bottom of the coil/coils is going to be something I have not tried in a dripper before.

Kang

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2011
Suffolk County, NY
www.sos-k.com
Here's mine for reference. I don't want another mod after this one... Can't wait for all the upgrades to be available!

dominus2.jpg

dominus.jpg

COM76

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2010
QLD, Australia
Mine just arrived and this is a solid mod. Brushed with kfl looks amazing. I'll post pics soon.

Yeah im pretty much using the Kayfun till they start selling the dripper - Should be soon as they have just gotten the test unit back and are making the new unit with the adjustments. Once they are happy with the new unit they will start production. Pretty sure the flat bottom button will be next on the list. Ow and the Dripper be released around the same time as the hybrid air controller as well. Going to be a great looking set once they have finished.

COM76

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2010
QLD, Australia
Micro coil with cotton in a kayfun on generally any mod will vape pretty well. Im running a 0.9 micro on the dominus now and it vapes brilliant and hits every time. I have owned it for a little while now and have not needed to clean the threads or the connections. I will however clean it up next week and do some voltage drop tests of the original connections and then hopefully if they arrive i will also test out the Rhodium over gold on brass contacts and button.

Here is what was posted about the new flat bottom firing button that they are looking at releasing after the dripper and the Hybrid AFC.

"Replacement bottom fire cap & to pin to set. Same slightly recessed bottom (now button) as with the original cap. Same short button throw as side fire. Large lock ring with original battery vent design. rotating the lock ring 90 degrees to lock/unlock button, lock /unlock positions located with internal detents to allow lock/unlock in either direction, lock does not screw up and down."

COM76

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2010
QLD, Australia
Just for a size comparison next to the Futura by Nexgen in 18650 mode.

Ow and i also got nice new contacts for the Dominus Fecit - They are Rhodium over gold on brass. This is for the top and bottom contacts and the switch itself. Will post my findings with them later as well as some nice pics. Thanks so much for sending them out David.

COM76

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2010
QLD, Australia
the side fire is why i didnt buy the dominus but i was seriously considering it anyways. i ended up with the nemesis for now but if i could get the bottom fire dominus with magnets and a detent locking system i would so buy one

I know a lot of people prefer a bottom firing mod. I however have slowly grown to appreciate both - To be honest though i think if i had to choose i would go with a side firing mod. I will pick up the bottom button accessory just to have the option though. I have a feeling a lot more are going to go out the door once David releases it. I would try to pick one up sooner rather than later.

I have been told that Vape-Rev are not the only ones that sell the Dominus Fect - There are a few Brick and Mortar shops that sell it as well. Just not sure where yet.

The Dripper however will hopefully be available really soon. Im predicting in a few weeks. There are a few pics of it on the Dominus Mods FB site but ill post some pictures of the pre-production unit (keep in mind things may have changed in the final production unit)

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
Nice!

I got mine mainly to have a decent side-button mod. I mostly use bottom buttons, but they both got their use, imo. Thought I would skip on the bottom button accessory... but 90 degree lock ring does sound nice. Will most likely get the dripper once it's out. And definitely the gennie if it doesn't have any major flaws.

Curious to see how your voltage drop tests turn out. According to the review by the Hill Giant, my Dominus probably shouldn't perform as well as it actually does. I think a lot of people were put off by his results. Glad I wasn't. :)

COM76

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2010
QLD, Australia
Nice!

I got mine mainly to have a decent side-button mod. I mostly use bottom buttons, but they both got their use, imo. Thought I would skip on the bottom button accessory... but 90 degree lock ring does sound nice. Will most likely get the dripper once it's out. And definitely the gennie if it doesn't have any major flaws.

Curious to see how your voltage drop tests turn out. According to the review by the Hill Giant, my Dominus probably shouldn't perform as well as it actually does. I think a lot of people were put off by his results. Glad I wasn't. :)

lol, I was in the same boat as you before i made the purchase as well, in regards to the Hill Giants review that is. I ended up contacting Fudge who did another video review on the Dominus about her findings with the supposed voltage drop issues. She compared the hit of the device to a gp paps... and i thought hold up the gp paps hits great IMHO. So i made my purchase and could not be happier. I own a fair few mods now and this is certainly holds its own; however a bit of Rhodium and Gold never hurt anyone.

Here are some pics of the contacts David sent out. Loving the gold lock ring on them. Unfortunately i have a lengthy assignment to write up so i will have to install them later.

jers

Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
manila
love my dominus fecit good quality and very solid! I admire side firing mods but a bottom fire mod always performs better, I personally tested all my mods with same battery and atty build here's the link https://www.facebook.com/notes/mega-puff/voltage-drop-test-2013/250873785068114 I guess when the upgrade arrives the fecit will performs much much better, looking forward to the plated internals and bottom switch upgrade. the upcoming hybrid dripper and afc looks promising as well! :)

Attachments

• dominus fecit 02.jpg
    dominus fecit 02.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 45

COM76

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2010
QLD, Australia
love my dominus fecit good quality and very solid! I admire side firing mods but a bottom fire mod always performs better, I personally tested all my mods with same battery and atty build here's the link https://www.facebook.com/notes/mega-puff/voltage-drop-test-2013/250873785068114 I guess when the upgrade arrives the fecit will performs much much better, looking forward to the plated internals and bottom switch upgrade. the upcoming hybrid dripper and afc looks promising as well! :)

Thanks for the link mate. I may put it up against an Atmizoo Roller and a GGTS then to see how we compare. It is funny how we all get caught up with voltage drop when really we are just talking about .2 to .3 of a difference between our favorite mods. Sounds like your findings with the Dominus were rather close to the reviewers. There is a pay off at the end of the day for a side firing mod and its complex components; however with everyone using RBA's these days you can always make things the way you want them. I am really glad Dominus mods are looking into plating options though. Rhodium to me just adds peace of mind and less maintenance; but no matter how well you look after it, Rhodium will ware off eventually so sometimes the simple option of brass is often the best (I know that is what Imeo says anyway). At the end of the day each and every plating option has its pros and cons - copper is awesome but once again a lot of care is needed in keeping it clean. The Dominus in its current state just works nicely for me, i have not had to clean the contacts yet at all.

Another thing with the bottom button accessory coming out is i have a feeling it may shave of some of the size of the overall unit (which is always a plus) the downside is you will lose that awesome engraving on the base - so glad that they recessed that as well as it will look as good as day one to the very end.

Kang

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2011
Suffolk County, NY
www.sos-k.com
I've had my dominus for over a month now and I absolutely love it still. I find it much more comfortable to operate than my bottom firing mods and haven't noticed any serious voltage drop as of yet. I did have an issue where the button mechanism came out and I lost the tiny ball that locks it into place. David put plenty of spares in the package and putting it all back together after a thorough cleaning was easier than I thought.

I can't wait for all these accessories to be released. I might even get the bottom firing button but, as mentioned before, I don't want to lose the engraving and my super low serial number lol

COM76

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2010
QLD, Australia
I came across this quite detailed yet simplified explanation of Voltage drop testing while educating myself a little more on the process and reasoning behind it all - Thought you guys may appreciate the read. I am currently doing some tests on the stock contacts of the Dominus. By the looks of things my battery contacts on the Dominus were clean but i decided to polish them up even more so and noticed a difference with the tests already. Apparently you can get cleaner than clean lol.

MANU, 06/02/2013, 1:27 PM:
A lower atomizer resistance translates into higher current = more power = more vapour. However, the higher the current, the higher the voltage drop on the internal battery resistance and mod resistance.

Remember that voltage drops at high currents cannot be completely eliminated. The presence of voltage drop only means that the efficiency is decreased. With lower resistance coils, the power on the atomizer increases, but a higher percentage of it is lost on the way.

Let’s get to an example:

[Joe]

Joe has an 18500 non-IMR battery. He vapes with an RBA that has a 1.2 Ohm coil. His battery is fully charged, so he decides to measure the voltage drop of his Roller.

Joe measures the battery voltage at open-circuit, and finds it to be 4.2 Volts.

Then, Joe measures the voltage across the atomizer terminals under load, and finds it to be 3.79 Volts. He assumes that his mod is giving him a voltage drop of 0.41 Volts and frowns unhappily. He is convinced that his mod is not giving him a good hit, although it vapes like a train.

[Jay]

Jay has a fresh 18500 IMR battery. He vapes with an RBA that has a 2.2 Ohm coil. His battery is fully charged, so he decides to measure the voltage drop of his Roller.

Jay measures the battery voltage at open-circuit, and finds it to be 4.2 Volts.

Then, Jay measures the voltage across the atomizer terminals under load, and finds it to be 4.02 Volts. He assumes that his Roller is giving him a voltage drop of 0.18 Volts and goes on to say how amazing it is and how great it vapes.

One minor detail I forgot to mention is that Joe sold his Roller to Jay because of the “voltage drop issue”, so it’s the *same* device.

On to the explanation:

The voltage across a resistance is given by the rather simplified formula V = I * R, where I is the current supplied by the battery and R the resistance we are examining.

The current I flowing through a mod is roughly equal to: I = Voc / ( Ra + Rm + Ri ), where Voc is the open circuit voltage of the battery, Rm is the equivalent mod resistance, Ri is the internal battery resistance and Ra is the atomizer resistance.

A typical value for Ri would be around 0.08 Ohms for a non-IMR battery that is in *OK* condition, while a newer, larger capacity, non stressed, high-drain battery might be better. Take this value with a grain of salt, since each battery is different.

Now, the mod’s equivalent resistance is again not a static quantity, since it depends on how tight the different components are screwed, how clean they are, and many other variable factors. A typical equivalent value would be around 0.05 Ohms, perhaps even less.

So, with the same mod (Rm = 0.05) in the same condition and configuration, Joe was vaping at a current of:

I_joe = 4.2 / (0.08 + 0.05 + 1.2) = 3.16 Amps,

which gives an atomizer voltage of

Va_joe = 3.16 * 1.2 = 3.79 Volts.

In the case of Jay, these values were:

I_jay = 4.2 / (0.05 + 0.05 + 2.2) = 1.83 Amps
Va_jay = 1.83 * 2.2 = 4.02 Volts

So – the voltage drop says nothing. In fact, Joe’s kit was putting out many more watts than Jay’s, because of the low atomizer resistance. Joe was vaping at:

P_joe = Va_joe * I_joe = 3.16 * 3.79 = 12 Watts

while Jay is vaping at:

P_jay = Va_jay * I_jay = 1.83 * 4.02 = 7.36 Watts

Bottom line:

If you want to vape with a low resistance coil, the best thing to do in order to maximize efficiency is to use a high-drain, high-energy battery (18500/18650 IMR).

If Joe had a good IMR battery, his current and voltage would be:

I_joe’ = 4.2 / (0.04 + 0.05 + 1.2) = 3.26 Amps,

which would give an atomizer voltage of

Va_joe’ = 3.16 * 1.2 = 3.91 Volts

and a power of

P_joe’ = 12.73 Watts,

which is much better than the 3.79 Volts and 12 Watts he got with the non-IMR battery.

COM76

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2010
QLD, Australia
I got called into work today so i could not do a complete test on the original contacts but Jers was pretty much on the dollar with his test at 0.48 - I will however try a few more tests using a few different batteries as I only got upto 18350 and did not get the chance to work on an 18500 (not too sure if it will effect things). At the end of the day i just wanted to be able to notice a difference with the plated contacts so i will use the same battery and the same coil on the Rhodium plating as i did for the stock contacts.

This was with stock contacts anyway:

Fully cleaned battery contacts
Battery Effest 18350 V 4.12
Atomizer 1.1ohms Kayfun lite (micro coil)
Under load 3.62v
0.5v drop

Now i just installed the new Rhodium over gold on brass contacts that David sent out. The replacement was easier than i thought. You will however need some needle nose pliers wrapped with tape (see pics). I had to use the pliers to remove the button itself from the body of the Dominus as it is screwed in quite tight.

To remove the Base contact from the body you will need to pry the spring over the channel from the base contact (you will notice a convenient cut in the channel where you can get your small screw driver in to pry it out). There is another method but i would be careful as you could damage the spring or warp it - If you slightly pull at the battery contact and make a few twists the spring will let go and come off and out of the channel on the battery contact part (not the base contact). Once this is off you can use the needle nose pliers (with tape) to remove the base contact from the body.

I will do a test hopefully tonight on the new contacts but for now i am just doing some field work with them (in other words having a vape). I can already tell there is a difference as the cotton in my kayfun cant wick in time for my chain vaping. Loving this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread