The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Don't be fooled by the DNA 20.

Discussion in 'VV/VW APV Discussion' started by Pazazu, Jun 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Pazazu

Pazazu Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 17, 2013
    North Carolina
    This thing is not as powerful as many people seem to think it is. The maximum wattage is 20 watts. So, 1.8 ohms at 6 volts is 20 watts. Basicly the same as a Vamo or an iTaste SVD. Here is where things get different. With a 2.1 ohm coil, you can get roughly 6.45 volts out of your 20 watts. With 1.4 ohms, 5.29 volts at 20 watts. .8 ohms, works different still. If you use a coil with a low resistance, and try to turn your wattage down, it will not lower the voltage below the charge that is in your battery, so with a freshly charged battery 4.2 volts. The same thing will happen with a 1.8 coil, or a 1.4 coil. With a 1.4 coil, if you try to go below 12.6 watts, you just get battery power from that point or lower, thus rendering it into an overpriced mechanical mod, with a 5 amp current limiter. This post is mainly for newer people, who will see the big number of 20 watts, and think this thing is godly, its really not, so don't go out and blow $250+ on one of these if you think you're going to out perform your iTaste SVD. Now if you're an experienced vaper, who likes high resistance vaping, this thing might be a winner for you. With a 3 ohm coil, you can suck 7.74 volts out of this thing, at 2.58 amps, my guess is that is who this is designed for. Maybe some people will start to make high resistance genesis microcoils with this chip, and vape a lot safer than pushing .3 ohms on quad coils.

2. Thrasher

Thrasher ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 28, 2012
    Madeira beach, Fla
    where exactly are you seeing mass produced mods using a dna 20? (serious question)

3. Pazazu

May 17, 2013
    North Carolina
    Nowhere yet. Its just that a lot of new vapers like VV mods, and I didn't want them to see the big 20watts, and think that this was a must have mod over an iTaste or whatever. The Opus D will probably be the most produced dna 20 mod, its also the lowest quality, since it doesn't have enough buttons to support all the functions in the DNA chip.

Here is a comparison.

The iTaste SVD, I can run a 1.3 ohm coil at 6 volts and draw 27 watts from it. The DNA 20 maxes out at 5.09 volts at 20 watts with a 1.3 ohm coil. I can't say which performs better. I know the iTaste uses pulse voltage, while the DNA 20 uses constant.

All I can really say is that if 1.3 ohms at 6 volts doesn't satisfy your vaping habits, then you need to slow down before you blow a battery up in your face, seriously. Its the same vape as a .65 ohm coil on a fresh battery on a mech.

4. Thrasher

Oct 28, 2012
    Madeira beach, Fla
    oh i agree with you i was just thinking when you said 250 "that cant be just for a chip" but i gotcha now.

personally i get by on a measly 8-9 watts and dont seen to have any problems blowing out storm clouds, i never understood the high watt vaping anyways.
    when the tech sheets hit the net it just seemed like the original dna chip with some added bells and shiney's.

5. kiwivap

kiwivap Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 14, 2012
    New Zealand
    This is what I've wondered about. I remember reading that the DNA 20 wouldn't go lower than 4 volts - that was before the release. If that's so then it is ok for those who don't mind a 4 v minimum I guess. Is a limitation for going lower though.
    Interesting post.

6. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I wonder How Many people need to push something to 20 Watts?

7. kiwivap

Jul 14, 2012
    New Zealand
    Good question. I don't think I do.

8. Commie

Commie Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 28, 2012
    Michigan
    There's another difference between Vamo's chip and DNA. DNA does provari-like output stabilization. 800 Hz instead of 33.3

9. Thrasher

Oct 28, 2012
    Madeira beach, Fla
    im more interested in the nivel myself the svo mesto mod keeps selling out in mere seconds. and most of the reviews i see are needing translation but most seem to be impressed.

10. Pazazu

May 17, 2013
    North Carolina
    You can buy a DNA 20 chip for $40 as well. Not quite sure why all the DNA 20 mods are hitting the $250 mark. Bit redic imo.

11. StereoDreamer

StereoDreamer Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Oct 13, 2012
    Columbia MD

Unless you actually have $250 to toss toward a state-of-the-art mod, and you are worried about the smoothest vape with the most even, level, power pulse, and produces a power curve without spikes, weird waveforms or wide pulses at low power. In which case, knock yourself out and buy whatever you darn well please... ;-)

Have you actually USED a DNA-20 device, or are you like those "audiophiles" who buy their equipment based entirely on spec sheets, and not by actually USING and listening to the gear?

There is a lot more to getting a great vape than arc-welding power specs. Pulse width, modulation, and smooth power delivery curves are what it's all about on the ultra-high-end, and the cheaper devices can do none of that.

The VAMO, SVD or ZMax are all good for what they are, but saying that they deliver the same vape as a DNA-20 device is like saying that because a Sony receiver has the same power output rating and S/N ratio as a stack of Krell components, it's going to sound the same...

12. kiwivap

Jul 14, 2012
    New Zealand
    I've been trying to keep my eye a svo mesto semovar. Does get good reviews.

13. jayD

jayD Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 28, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks for the post, I went ahead and bought a dna20 boxmod and a semovar. Gotta make sure to have all options covered.

14. kiwivap

Jul 14, 2012
    New Zealand
    You got a semovar? Congrats on that.

15. dr g

dr g Moved On ECF Veteran

Mar 12, 2012
    Paradise
    This post is totally clueless. The standard chinese 33hz PWM module the itaste uses absolutely will not fire a 1.3 ohm load at 6 volts. It can't support that amperage. You will not approach 20 watts output from these boards, they just can't do it.

For its part, DNA20 offers several features completely unmatched by any other current ecig VV/VW board, let alone the standard chinese 33mhz PWM module. Perhaps the most important of which is the ability to run subohm loads -- no other regulated board I know of can do that.

That's really important because to run 20 watts well, you are looking at a subohm or nearly subohm coil, because, as the megathread says, watts don't matter -- coil temperature does.

Bottom line, no, nothing can touch the DNA 20 right now for regulated power.

16. Commie

Commie Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 28, 2012
    Michigan
    I agree. Correction removed :) Another ninja edit

17. dr g

Mar 12, 2012
    Paradise
    hehe check the quote ... ninja edit

And to make sure I address the actual example the OP uses, the chinese 33hz PWM board will not fire a 1.8 ohm load at 6v either.

Late edit: my fingers kind of automatically put the m before the hz when I first wrote that post because I've been discussing such frequencies online with regard to computers since 33mhz was pretty fast for a computer! sigh ...

18. Fury83

Fury83 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 14, 2012
    Nowhere
    Not to nitpick as you are mostly right but the provari will run subohm loads within it's amp limit. It's an honest mod like that. That just doesn't cover what most people want to do subohm.

19. dr g

Mar 12, 2012
    Paradise
    Point taken, however as far as I know (and as you mention) the provari's amp limit is too low to do much with subohm coils.

20. Fury83

Fury83 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 14, 2012
    Nowhere
    For sure...but unlike the china stuff, it'll fire to that limit. I put a 1.2 ohm coil on my SVD, pressed the button at it's lowest voltage, nothing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.