Don't be fooled by the DNA 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

professeur

Verified Member
Jun 20, 2013
Athens, Greece
.... Maybe some people will start to make high resistance genesis microcoils with this chip, and vape a lot safer than pushing .3 ohms on quad coils.
I have same thoughts some weeks now. Why evolv did not include a step down capability at the dna20. They shoot their feet, i think. If you put a 1.7Ohm at a dna with a fresh battery (4.2volts) you "must" start vaping at about 11watt from the beggining until the battery falls down and then the dna starts to step up.

A question please. At the last part of your post you wrote about "safer" vaping at high Ohms. Do you mean 2.5+ Ohms? If yes, why you say that. Bigger coils means lower temperature so its much safer? This is a strong reason to go for a dna and working with 2.5-2.8 Ohms?

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
I have same thoughts some weeks now. Why evolv did not include a step down capability at the dna20. They shoot their feet, i think. If you put a 1.7Ohm at a dna with a fresh battery (4.2volts) you "must" start vaping at about 11watt from the beggining until the battery falls down and then the dna starts to step up.

A question please. At the last part of your post you wrote about "safer" vaping at high Ohms. Do you mean 2.5+ Ohms? If yes, why you say that. Bigger coils means lower temperature so its much safer? This is a strong reason to go for a dna and working with 2.5-2.8 Ohms?

The DNA20 does step down, I can get it down to just about 3.0v. With a 1.7 coil there is no issue whatsoever going down to 7 watts.

"Safer" generally refers to a comparison with subohm coils and high current draws on the battery. With regulated mods however this isn't really applicable.

professeur

Verified Member
Jun 20, 2013
Athens, Greece
A couple of questions please.

Do your ohm reading is flashing when you have a fresh battery inside? With the type W=V^2/R if you have 1.7 coil and a fresh battery (4.2 volt) dna20 could start giving 10.37 watts.

Please check the pbusardo next video:

At 15:00 he saw a big different at volts given by the devise and he says that he got in contact with evolv and they told him that it cannot step down (to be more precice it cannot do a "big" step down).

Could you please do a test for that matter? Full charge your battery, put a 1.7-1.8 coil and choose 7 watt on the dna. Do you have flashing the ohm meter or not?

Thanks in advance for your time and effort.

I have these questions because i am searching a good dna20 mod but i am using a dripping atty (THE Dripper by ebaron and Leo) which works great at low watts (for 1.8+- ohm Leo suggests 3.7+- volts) so if dna20 could not give below 4.2 on a fresh battery it will a problem for me and probably until battery falls so it will start the step up dna20 will propably works like a mech giving about 4.2 volts (??).

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
I tested it with a 1.6 ohm carto before I posted. It does have some issues with large step downs, with a fresh battery for me, I'd say under 3.4v is where it starts. With a lower battery I can go as low as 3.0, I have not seen it go below that. With a 1.7-1.8 ohm device I would say you should have no problem going to 7 watts.

I'll charge up my devices and post some pictures.

professeur

Verified Member
Jun 20, 2013
Athens, Greece
Thanks for your time and answer. If possible please make a test with a 2.0 ohm at 7 watt and a fresh battery. With W=V^2/R => V^2=W*R it must be: V^2= 14 => V= 3.74. So the dna20 must step down from 4.2volt to 3.74. More challenge will be with the 1.6 ohm you mention. At 7 watts it must step down from 4.2 to 3.34.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
I haven't been fooled by the DNA20D.
But I'm a high wattage vaper!

One thing that you should know is that the voltage output showing on the screen is not correct, the chip compensates for the atomizer and the actual voltage you are vaping at will be lower than on the screen.

This confused me at the beginning because the voltage that it outputted under load [Tankometer] was always lower than the voltage showing in the menu screen. Than I started putting the voltage under load and matching it with the Ohms and inserting into an Ohms Calculator and wallah I found this box is SMART. It compensates and puts out 20 watts [or set voltage] on your atomizer, forget what the screen says.

I've been enjoying my DNA20D Bogger Box for a week. It's really awesome to vape at 20 Watts stable. The lowest I've found it will go as low as .6Ohm, I tried a .5OHm Atomizer and it simply wouldn't run it. My result differed from PBusardo in this.

I believe that it rounds up to the nearest digit for example if the atomizer is .61Ohm it'll say .7

Example,
I checked a Atomizer on my Atomizer Tester and it came out to .61 Ohm
On the DNA20D it showed up as .7 Ohm
When I checked the voltage under load it showed 3.51V on my Tankometer.

I went to the Ohms calculator and put in 20 Watts and .61Ohm and it showed that the Volts should be 3.49
I think it rounds up on the display which is why it showed .7 but the important part is that at .61 Ohm the DNA20D is registering and firing accurately at 20 Watts. Wow!!!

Note the discrepancy of .02 is a miniscule margin of error in my testing equipment or the box.

Pic 1 Ohm Tester
A61.JPG
Pic2
Under Load
351.jpg

Pic3
Ohms Chart
Ohms_61Ohm.jpg

Last edited:

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
Actually I think the discrepancy between what the screen shows and the voltmeter is the rounding. Because if you account for that, it has always been accurate between what my meter shows and what the screen shows. Keep in mind it's constantly metering and adjusting throughout the firing so even in the time between looking at the screen and the meter, it could fluctuate a bit.

And yes it does appear to meter to hundredths of an ohm and adjust voltage to hundredths of a volt!

Last edited:

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
This thing is not as powerful as many people seem to think it is. The maximum wattage is 20 watts. So, 1.8 ohms at 6 volts is 20 watts. Basicly the same as a Vamo or an iTaste SVD. ...

Um, no. I've seen the thing out-perform a mech at high wattages (outperform meaning able to deliver a sustained higher voltage, thus wattage under load). Plus you can vary what it delivers, unlike a mech. A Vamo will deliver 15 Watts, max and realistically can't get a full 15 watts to a coil.

High wattage vaping is not my game, but for folks who are into that, the DNA 20 really is a game changer.

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
A Vamo will deliver 15 Watts, max and realistically can't get a full 15 watts to a coil.

High wattage vaping is not my game, but for folks who are into that, the DNA 20 really is a game changer.

Since I posted earlier I found out that the latest-gen 33hz boards handle 5 amps, which, coupled with the VV mode, is theoretically capable of 30 watts @ 6v. However since impedance is still limited to 1.2 ohms, building a coil that can handle that is a trick. Also, this is strictly with stacked batteries, it can't do this with a single battery like the DNA does.

I agree though, the DNA20 is a game changer and is a cut above all other boards at this time.

professeur

Verified Member
Jun 20, 2013
Athens, Greece
@ dr g,

really appreciate your answer and your effort to make clear some things.

The only matter is that checking again pBusardo video at 15:00 i see that with a 1.6 ohm at 7W he must gets 3.3 volts and he gets 3.9. His regulation its not good but yours dna seems to be capable to get down the 4.2 volts to 3.7-3.5. Really interesting all this.

With your permission could i repost your pictures to an another Greek forum where we have the same discussion but we did not make it clear until now with some measurements?

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
The 1.6 ohm is kind of marginal and as we noted earlier the display shows a rounded figure, he could have had a 1.5x coil on there and it showed 1.6. With a, for example, 1.55 ohm coil, 7 watts would be 3.29v. On a fresh battery the stepdown doesn't reliably go below 3.4v with a full battery as mentioned, so actually my results are consistent with what phil saw.

So I guess the most accurate would be to say the stepdown has a limited capability as compared to some mods. It is focused most on mid to high wattage vaping. But it does have the ability to hit minimum wattage down to ~1.6-1.7 ohms even on a fully charged battery, lower if the battery is lower.

You can repost, sure. It's public now! :D

Last edited:

rayboy55

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2012
Quebec Canada
The reasons that i want to get a dna20 is :1-the display ...you get eveything you need on one display
2- the chip at 800 hz gives me a better voltage or wattage then my sigeili at 33.3 hz
3- easier on the equipment ie cartos (i'm using boges at 2.0 ohms in my tanks)
4- the only thing stopping me to get one right now is that i don"t like a box mod and i'm waiting for someone to come out with an affordable tube mod dna20 since i'm too scared to build one for myself and screwing it up loll !!!So everything you guys showed me in this thread helps me alot and i finaly got my answers Thanks !!!!:vapor:

professeur

Verified Member
Jun 20, 2013
Athens, Greece
4- the only thing stopping me to get one right now is that i don"t like a box mod and i'm waiting for someone to come out with an affordable tube mod dna20 since i'm too scared to build one for myself and screwing it up loll !!!....
This is my personal searching many weeks now and i have a BIG question. Where are the dna20 tube mods?? Box mods i found a lot but tube mods only 2-3. Dna has about 8 months on sale but tube mods only a few. Big size, expensive (dont think so), dont know..

Here in Greece we have some really nice boxs with dna:

IMG_3877_zpsc79e98a3.jpg

IMG_3874_zpsf3742f70.jpg

IMG_3860_zps108324fc.jpg

And recently a tube mod but already out of stock:

DSCN0030_zps14919af1.jpg

But other than those cannot find. :oops:

(Sorry for the offtopic)

rayboy55

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2012
Quebec Canada
The DNA 20 runs at 225khz, fwiw. Personally I don't believe it's any more or less hard on hardware than my 33hz device, but that reputation is out there.

Thanks for the info...but from what i'm told , when you have less PWM like the signal of the provari your cartos will last longer !!!

rayboy55

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2012
Quebec Canada
This is my personal searching many weeks now and i have a BIG question. Where are the dna20 tube mods?? Box mods i found a lot but tube mods only 2-3. Dna has about 8 months on sale but tube mods only a few. Big size, expensive (dont think so), dont know..

Here in Greece we have some really nice boxs with dna:

IMG_3877_zpsc79e98a3.jpg

IMG_3874_zpsf3742f70.jpg

IMG_3860_zps108324fc.jpg

And recently a tube mod but already out of stock:

DSCN0030_zps14919af1.jpg

But other than those cannot find. :oops:

(Sorry for the offtopic)
Where did you find the tube mod ?? I have seen the titanium one but not this one !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread