Dont drip!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
Steve - can you elaborate? I lost three 801 atomizers in a week, yet Ive only lost a single 901 atomizer in over two months.

Can't speak for your situation alone bri :) haha ...

I will say this then ... 90+% of the time, its User Error or the Power Source, NOT, the atomizer ...

Examples:
1. Flooding atomizer, liquid leaks down in to battery -- dead
2. User doesn't get the vapor he/she desires, continues to drip, floods atomizer
3. Battery is on the verge of needing a recharge, user overfills, floods. Power source doesn't have enough power to plaster through the large amounts of liquid sitting in and around the atomizer.

The only way I can see the atomizer dieing from actual flooding is this (outside of a Manufacturer Defect)
Constant Flooding, thus user blows out/boils/tries to clean it. And even then, its not the flooding that kills it, its the aftermath of trying to clean it.

Large amounts of liquid dripped will simply find its way out at the bottom of the pot. Unless liquid can desolder/short/or otherwise do something to the atomizer (minus leaking down in to the battery/atomizer threads) I see no way of it happening.

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
My atomizer is dead in just 6 days!!! :mad:

Elaborate...device, power source, your dripping procedure, switch type etc. Sometimes atomizers just die early.

I have burned up penstyle atomizers on a 6v device because, early on, I was doing some of what Cash said above. Flooding followed by overheating to burn off the excess liquid, dripping onto a hot atomizer or letting the atomizer run too dry. Dripping takes a bit of practice and you may lose a few atomizers as part of the learning curve.

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
Can the fluid really get down into the battery? I've noticed that the outer wrings get wet but not inside the cup with the contact points.

Absolutely. The atomizer heating coil sits in a tiny ceramic cup smaller than the diameter of an eraser on a #2 pencil. The bottom of this ceramic cup has a hole in it. That hole allows the sucking (negative pressure) action to extend down through the hole at the bottom of your atomizer through the hole atop the battery. This negative pressure triggers the switch in that battery that provides the power to heat up the atomizer heating coil. Liquid can seep through the hole in the ceramic cup into the hole in the battery. This can gum up the works and kill a battery.

There are a few holes on the side of the ceramic cup that draw in e-liquid from the surrounding metal mesh into the heating coil.

Did I totally confuse you?

seminolewind

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2009
Corydon Indiana
Absolutely. The atomizer heating coil sits in a tiny ceramic cup smaller than the diameter of an eraser on a #2 pencil. The bottom of this ceramic cup has a hole in it. That hole allows the sucking (negative pressure) action to extend down through the hole at the bottom of your atomizer through the hole atop the battery. This negative pressure triggers the switch in that battery that provides the power to heat up the atomizer heating coil. Liquid can seep through the hole in the ceramic cup into the hole in the battery. This can gum up the works and kill a battery.

There are a few holes on the side of the ceramic cup that draw in e-liquid from the surrounding metal mesh into the heating coil.

Did I totally confuse you?

Thanks, no not confusing, it's just I just hear about people killing their atomizers, and hardly anyone saying that they killed their battery with juice. (?)

dedmonwakin

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Destin,FL.
Thanks, no not confusing, it's just I just hear about people killing their atomizers, and hardly anyone saying that they killed their battery with juice. (?)
I'm not sure if killing the battery with nic juice is the correct info either. It would be more like killed the mic in my battery component, (which is a total pain in the *** to replace.)

ozrick

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have an 801 battery that would not pull at all. I decided to blow throught he LED side of the battery and quit a bit of liquid started to bubble out of the switch. Liquid can cause havoc with batteries and atomizers if not used properly!

I find that if I leave components that weren't working out to dry (batteries having atomizer side down) and blow out my atomizers that they start working again in a few days.

Sometimes... I have 4-5 cold atomizers that won't do diddly but that's the luck of the draw (pun intended!)

awsapero

Jan 8, 2009
Brandon, FL
My process is:
I have a total of Six 510-C manual batteries and atomizers. They are each in a case with their own bottles filled with 3cc of various flavors of juice. I only drip certain juices in certain atomizers. I will use my atomizers in an order. all six of my groups and marked to all be paired up and placed into a Case Logic 6 slot Flash Driver Zipper Case.
I will drip atomizer "A" until it starts to decline in performance. I clean the threads on the atomizer and battery (closed manual battery, must IMO for dripping) with a bit of paper towel. Then rip a few inches of paper towel roll it up. You want it there to be enough circumference so its nice and tight when placed in the atomizer; and long enough to stick out a good 1/2 inch. I leave the paper towel in atomizer "A" for about 2-3 days,Then remove it, see all the extra juice it has sucked out.Prime it with a few drops of flavorless liquid, then place place it back in the case for rotation. In the mean time i would be using atomizer "B" until it needs cleaned and continue the process.

Every few weeks I will put 1/2 my atomizers, mouth pieces and 3cc bottles in a large bottle of club soda and let them soak over night, shaking up the bottle randomly. Get them all dried out the next day, prime them up, and repeat for the other 1/2 if my stock.
I hope this can help any one with some basic maintenance for dripping. It really is the best way to vape, just gotta know some tricks.

I have been doing this since this for a few months and I have not had to replace one battery or atomizer.

smoKING

Apr 27, 2009
I have found that dipping rather than dripping is helping to prevent battery flooding on my Evo. I bought a load of contact lense cases off ebay and these are perfect for carrying 2 flavors around and dipping all day. It also allows mixing of micro batches in the case itself so you can try many loranns and never end up with a bottle of stale or foul liquid. Just hold the coil in the liquid for a few seconds, it wont soak more than it can hold an run into the battery, it also seems to last longer than dripping as more of the coil absorbs more fully...

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
1. Flooding atomizer, liquid leaks down in to battery -- dead
2. User doesn't get the vapor he/she desires, continues to drip, floods atomizer
3. Battery is on the verge of needing a recharge, user overfills, floods. Power source doesn't have enough power to plaster through the large amounts of liquid sitting in and around the atomizer.

Do we need flood insurance for our attys then? :D

Nelson

Apr 24, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
I have found that dipping rather than dripping is helping to prevent battery flooding on my Evo. I bought a load of contact lense cases off ebay and these are perfect for carrying 2 flavors around and dipping all day. It also allows mixing of micro batches in the case itself so you can try many loranns and never end up with a bottle of stale or foul liquid. Just hold the coil in the liquid for a few seconds, it wont soak more than it can hold an run into the battery, it also seems to last longer than dripping as more of the coil absorbs more fully...

What model of e cig do you use for dipping. I imagine you need the metal mesh exposed...Not a titan510 type atomizer where the coil and mesh are down inside the tube of the atomizer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread