dot1ml - online eliquid calculator

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickIcon

Feb 4, 2013
Newcastle, UK
I've added a couple of new features to dot1ml in the hope of making it easier to use for beginners.

First is a "learning mode" that displays tips & hints for a number of features in the mixer. If enabled in your account settings (enabled by default if you're not logged in) the mixer will display a number of question mark symbols that will reveal quick contextual explanations when clicked on. Not all features have an explanantion yet but I will be adding more as time goes on.

Secondly is a feature which I think is unique to dot1ml: if you get any negative PG or VG values then an "auto adjust" button will appear next to the eliquid targets. When you click it, the mixer will attempt to balance the target PG/VG ratio and nicotine strength of your liquid to make it possible to mix without changing any ingredients.

Hope this is useful - let me know what you think.

NickIcon

Feb 4, 2013
Newcastle, UK
Hey Nick. Would it be/is it possible to save my recipes without making them public? I think it would be a convenient place to store all of my recipes, including the ones that are still in progress. I pity the fool that tries some of them in their current states.

I had been wondering how long it would be before somebody asked that question. :)

As it stands there are no plans for private recipes.

Yes, this means that there will be lots of experimental/work-in-progress recipes on the site but it also means that other users will be able to see these and hopefully learn from them, make improvements or just get inspiration for making their own.

Recipes can have notes attached to them so I'm hoping mixers will use this to indicate whether or not their recipe is tried and tested or just a new idea they're hoping won't be disgusting. Early days yet, but a number of users do appear to be doing this (@ScreaminEagle - you're doing it right!) so fingers crossed.

NickIcon

Feb 4, 2013
Newcastle, UK
Hey Nick
i just found your calculator, nice tool,nice interface, but it seems I can't increment the flavor values by less than 1% (or 2 drops), ie I'd like to go for 1.5 or 3.5% and it won't let me.
Is it by design or am I missing something ?
Thanks

I'm afraid it only handles full precentages. To be honest when I started building dot1ml I wasn't aware that anyone used half percentages so I didn't think it would be useful. A couple of months down the line it's obvious that people do so it is on my ever growing to-do list.

I was thinking of doing something similar to the target liquid volume, ie: once you get below a certain threshold (probably 5%) the +/- buttons change the percentages in increments of 0.5% rather than 1%.

NickIcon

Feb 4, 2013
Newcastle, UK
Would it be possible to add grams to the measuring units please?
So you can choose between ml/grams/drops

PG Base is 1.04g/ml
VG Base is 1.26g/ml
PGA is 0.85g/ml
Water is 1g/ml
Flavor is 1g/ml

I think that a more comprehensive overhaul of the calculator would be required before I could add support for weight as well as volume. As it stands, each ingredient is considered to be composed of PG and VG and to make the weight measurements accurate we would need to be able to specify the exact components of each in PG,VG, PGA, water + potentially more.

I'm trying to keep the mixer as simple as possible so at the moment I don't have any plans to implement anything like this. It may be one for the future though if there is enough demand for it.

Out of curiosity, are there any calculators out there that work in grams?

cedric212

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Below ejuice calculator is the one I'm currently using. Not sure if it's still the same version I installed since mine is showing 2.0.1.6 instead of 2.0.1.3:

Scubabatdan also incorporated the mixing in gram feature in his newest SS:

https://www.filesanywhere.com/fs/v.aspx?v=8b6b63875e6271a86f9f

More on mixing with a scale: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/455603-my-way-mixing-scale.html

Last edited:

Screamin Eagle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
Maryland
I had been wondering how long it would be before somebody asked that question. :)

As it stands there are no plans for private recipes.

Yes, this means that there will be lots of experimental/work-in-progress recipes on the site but it also means that other users will be able to see these and hopefully learn from them, make improvements or just get inspiration for making their own.

Recipes can have notes attached to them so I'm hoping mixers will use this to indicate whether or not their recipe is tried and tested or just a new idea they're hoping won't be disgusting. Early days yet, but a number of users do appear to be doing this (@ScreaminEagle - you're doing it right!) so fingers crossed.

Thanks Nick; I figgured putting some sort of "warning" up in the discription would help those who are poking around in my recipes, so they can make their own decisions and tread with caution.

But I was wondering, is there any plans for putting something like a "mixers notes" in there so that I (and those looking at my recipes) can see where and how my resipes are progressing?
Right now we can do it in the comments (as I've been doing) but eventually we will run out of room and have to delete some of our notes.
I mean I can always keep notes by hand, and I do just that. But if someone else, who is working on something simular can see a point where they are at, and see where I've gotten to, it might help them.

Just something to think about.

Keep it up Nick, your starting to get a following.:thumbs:

Last edited:

Mensah

Aug 25, 2013
Paris / France
Hi there
Indeed, this interface is very pleasant to play with, although the full percentage move bugs me a bit. It's not the use of full percentage in itself, but when you ad a single drop to the mix, there's very little chance that it will be a full %.
i guess a simple text field where you can write your desired value would be great, while keeping the "+/-" buttons for fast moves.

Since your answer is "it's obvious that people do, so it is on my ever growing to-do list", I'm eager to see that implemented so I can use this great tool fulltime.

Can't wait actually, I want to use it now! :laugh:

NickIcon

Feb 4, 2013
Newcastle, UK
Thanks Nick; I figgured putting some sort of "warning" up in the discription would help those who are poking around in my recipes, so they can make their own decisions and tread with caution.

But I was wondering, is there any plans for putting something like a "mixers notes" in there so that I (and those looking at my recipes) can see where and how my resipes are progressing?
Right now we can do it in the comments (as I've been doing) but eventually we will run out of room and have to delete some of our notes.
I mean I can always keep notes by hand, and I do just that. But if someone else, who is working on something simular can see a point where they are at, and see where I've gotten to, it might help them.

Just something to think about.

Keep it up Nick, your starting to get a following.:thumbs:

Thanks Screamin Eagle!

The description field does allow a silly amount of free text - you shouldn't run out of room easily! Another bullet point on my to-do list is to make the text area auto-expand as you're typing then maybe implement a "read more" button, like YouTube descriptions.

Moving house at the moment - hoping to get more time to work on it in a week or so!

NickIcon

Feb 4, 2013
Newcastle, UK
Below ejuice calculator is the one I'm currently using. Not sure if it's still the same version I installed since mine is showing 2.0.1.6 instead of 2.0.1.3:

Scubabatdan also incorporated the mixing in gram feature in his newest SS:

https://www.filesanywhere.com/fs/v.aspx?v=8b6b63875e6271a86f9f

More on mixing with a scale: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/455603-my-way-mixing-scale.html

Thanks Cedric - I hadn't seen that first calculator before, will take a proper look tomorrow!

NickIcon

Feb 4, 2013
Newcastle, UK
Hi there
Indeed, this interface is very pleasant to play with, although the full percentage move bugs me a bit. It's not the use of full percentage in itself, but when you ad a single drop to the mix, there's very little chance that it will be a full %.
i guess a simple text field where you can write your desired value would be great, while keeping the "+/-" buttons for fast moves.

Since your answer is "it's obvious that people do, so it is on my ever growing to-do list", I'm eager to see that implemented so I can use this great tool fulltime.

Can't wait actually, I want to use it now! :laugh:

I know it's not a great solution but when it's just a case of adding a couple of drops to a mix I would just add an ingredient at 0% (given that 1 drop is a pretty small quantity) and write the number of drops (per 10ml for example) in the ingredient name. Eg: Nick's Rhubarb fool | dot1ml.

Chevrefeuille se dit honeysuckle en anglais - il me semble que liquid amber c'est la seve d'un autre type d'arbre.
(Je m'excuse pour le manque d'accents - ca fait longtemps que j'ai plus mon clavier azerty!)

cessnapix

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2013
Northeast
Nice; This will be my goto Calculator! Any way to print the recipe out, My computer is no where near my mixing area. It was fast and easy to calculate a minimum Nicotine base % for a 100%vg Base, with a target pg% and Nicotine output level in mind; for mixing bases and trying to use up certain stock 1st. If that was understandable;-)

Screamin Eagle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
Maryland
Thanks Screamin Eagle!

The description field does allow a silly amount of free text - you shouldn't run out of room easily! Another bullet point on my to-do list is to make the text area auto-expand as you're typing then maybe implement a "read more" button, like YouTube descriptions.

Moving house at the moment - hoping to get more time to work on it in a week or so!

Ahhhh I see. Yeah, I didn't know how expansive that area was. And instead of expanding as you go, a "read more" button would keep things a bit neater on the page.

Good luck on your move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread