Not open for further replies.

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    Dovpo MVP 220W mod

1666583936729.png

Welcome back to another Z-Lee review. Today we'll be taking a look at one of Dovpo's newer mods, the MVP which is the interfaced and upgraded version of the previous MVV 2 mod. For those of you who aren't familiar with the MVV 2, it's controlled with a potentiometer dial (say that 3 times really fast!) that changes the amount of volts being used and thus lacks a user interface screen. It's a fairly bare bones kind of mod, but it works exceptionally well (pictures further down). The newer MVP gives the old MVV 2 quite a face lift, and has one of the easiest user menus to navigate that I can think of in recent times. Performance-wise, I'll get into more of that down below.

I want to thank @Dovpo_Daisy for coordinating and arranging this review. As always, I will be giving you a fair and honest reflection of my experience with the Dovpo MVP mod thus far.

Let's get 'er done!

What Comes in the Box:
    1666585117297.png

The picture on the package does indicate what color/style option you chose which is a nice touch right off the bat.

You get:
    ◾ Dovpo MVP Mod
    ◾ USB Type-C Charging Cable (1 foot long)
    ◾ User Manual

Color Options:
    1666585491255.png

◾ Carbon Fiber - Transparent
    ◾ Carbon Fiber - Black
    ◾ Carbon Fiber - Red
    ◾ Carbon Fiber - Purple
    ◾ Carbon Fiber - Pink
    ◾ Tiger - Transparent
    ◾ Tiger - Black
    ◾ Tiger - Red
    ◾ Fire Demon Beast - Black
    ◾ Geishe - Black

User Interface:
    1666585758660.png

As I'd mentioned in the intro, this user interface is very straight forward and easy to navigate. There are no "sub-menus" to speak of, so all of the options are pretty much adjustable from the main menu which is kind of a nice feature. While it's great to have lots of customizable options, it can be a bit daunting to find yourself 3 sub-menus deep trying to figure out how get yourself back out without screwing up any of the options.

As seen above, battery life, wattage, voltage, ohms (coil resistance), puff timer, and number of puffs are all visible on the main screen. In TC mode, wattage replaces voltage (as seen on the right) which can be adjusted by holding down [ + ] and the fire button for 2 or so seconds.

To turn the mod off and on, 5 quick clicks of the fire button. To lock the [ - ] and [ + ] directional keys, hold down both for a second or two. You are still able to fire the mod with this locking method, so I'd suggest turning it off if you plan to stick it in your pocket or in a bag/purse.

From top to bottom, the main menu options are:
    Power - watts are scrolled through in 0.5W increments below 100W, and 1W increments from 100-220W. The wattage range is 5-220W and it does round-robin from 220W to 5W and vice versa. When a directional button is held down, it scrolls very quickly in full 1W increments.
    Voltage - An under-rated control setting that will not sway with the reading of the coil resistance. As a coil get hotter, it has a higher resistance. If a mod automatically adjusts the wattage based on the reading of the coil resistance, this can lead to an unpleasantly hot vape. An additional nice feature is that the wattage is displayed on the screen when in this mode, so that you know roughly what the equivalent setting in Power, or Variable Wattage, mode would be. Volts scroll in 0.1V increments.
    Temp NI - Temperature Control (TC) for Nickel 200 coil material. If you're familiar with RBAs and TC, then you don't need a run down here. If you aren't familiar with TC, then I'd avoid using any of the "Temp" options.
    Temp TI - Temperature Control (TC) for Titanium coil material.
    Temp SS - Temperature Control (TC) for Stainless Steel coil material.
    Bright - Screen brightness ranging from 1 to 100.
    Stats - The location to reset your puff count and total time fired.
    Colour - UI color options are green and red.
    Exit - Exit the menu

About the only thing I see lacking in the main menu is the "color" menu only having green and red for UI options.

Bypass is a thing of the past in my opinion, and having Voltage Mode is far superior in terms of running a mod off of voltage. I'm glad it was passed on as an option.

Variable or Custom Power Curve or a "boost" function might have been nice for those that like a little bit more of a prefire, but this mod fires very quickly. I can't honestly say I've ever really needed it. If anything, I set the mod a bit higher in wattage and feather the fire button after a second or two.

Specs:

1666587760387.png

Test Results & Observations:

1666588220903.png

The packaging for this mod is pretty small, but everything you need is there except the 18650 batteries. I forgot to pull out the charging cable for this picture, but it's tucked in that small rectangular box to the right of the mod. The charging cable has a bit of length to be desired, but a foot is about the standard these days. I kind of figure who at this point in time doesn't have a longer USB Type-C charging cable - they're used for pretty much everything but Apple devices.

Just like the Dovpo MVV 2, only one side panel comes off (the left side of the UI) which is the side you load the dual 18650s into. There is a ribbon to help you remove the batteries when it's time to change the batteries out. This is a nice little added bonus that not all mods have for a side-loading battery sled.

A Closer Look:
    1666666158090.png

As you can see, I received the Carbon Fiber - Transparent design which I'm very happy about. I think the whole transparent aesthetic that a lot of companies are going with these days is pretty cool, especially since it sort of forces manufacturers to build products a bit more solidly because they can't just say "oh, nobody will see that." Wires/soldering/internals/connections cannot just be willy-nilly'd, and that's very apparent with this kit.

The front facing side of the mod is completely transparent disregarding (from top down) the fire button, the 0.96 TFT UI screen, and the two [ - ] and [ + ] directional buttons at the bottom. This allows the proprietary chip to shine through just behind the transparent face which I think looks awesome. The firing button, as well as the directional buttons, are all clicky and very responsive. The UI screen here may look scratched, but that's a removeable protective sticker you see. On the ride side of the mod in reference to the face of the mod is the non-removeable panel.

Flipping the mod to the left and back side, you'll notice a little groove and lip with transparent writing labeled "OPEN", allowing you easy access to the battery panel. When the panel is removed, the slots for dual 18650 batteries and a battery ribbon are exposed. Being that this mod allows for up to 220W, my recommendation would be high CDR batteries verified and tested to be 25A or above. Until something better comes out, my goto's are Molicel P28As and P26As for 18650s. Battery orientation can clearly be seen inside each battery slot with an opaque "-" and "+" at the top and bottom. With the battery panel off, this also exposes the USB Type-C charging port, noted above. As always, my recommendation is to only use this port to upgrade firmware, and to recharge in a pinch when there's no external battery charger available.

The bottom of the mod cleanly shows the positive and negative connectors strung together verifying that this mod runs in series, as most multi-battery mods do. The top of the mod is where the mounting plate with its brass-plated spring-loaded 510 pin, held in with two T-5 Torx screws that screw in nice and securely. I tried to remove this plate but was met with quite a bit of resistance, so I chose to leave it in place. From what I could see, there's no O-ring encircling the 510 plate and unfortunately I could not verify if the 510 pin has its own O-ring or not. While the Torx screws seem to secure tightly, you do have to remember that this mod is almost entirely made of polycarbonate plastic. So while the screws may torque down into metal fittings, those fittings are still secured into plastic - tough plastic never-the-less.

So, while the mod is made out of polycarbonate and zinc alloy, it's solidly built. The construction specs are tight, and there's absolutely no wiggle from the removeable side panel. I will however mention that I suggest OEM batteries for this mod. OEM brands tend to have thinner battery wraps which seem to avoid a clearance issue with the removeable side panel. With dual Molicel P26As, there's no play in the battery panel; with Hohm Tech HohmLife batteries, there's a tiny bit of creaking/wiggle in the panel. Something to be aware of.

There is a slight bevel at the top of the mod that tapers in. While the specs say the dimensions of this mode are 27 mm wide, it's actually 25 mm without there being any overhang. I will say that the taper is quite small, so with a tank like the Uwell Crown V that also tapers in at the bottom, it fits very cleanly onto the top of this mod which is why I chose to use it. There will be pictures of this at the bottom.

Innovative Side Panels:

1666667971779.png

The side panels are made of a tough zinc alloy. There's something I noticed about these battery doors that I have yet to see on other removeable side panel mods. This doesn't mean they're the first to do it, but from my collection of gear, this is the first I've seen of it. If you notice on the backside of the panel, at the top and bottom, there are two rectangles that jut out from the panel. These are your magnets that hold the door in place. What's great about this is, you'll never have to worry about the magnets coming unglued and separating from the panel. There have been times where I've left other mods with removeable side panels in my car while running errands, and the heat alone loosened the adhesive holding the magnets onto the door. When pulling the panels off, the magnets came off - disappointing to say the least. You won't have to worry about that here, and that's how you know Dovpo's paying attention to the little stuff.

The MVP vs. The MVV 2
    1666668672684.png

Two things to note here. The side panels for both the MVP and MVV 2 are identical in shape and dimensions meaning they're interchangeable. If for whatever reason, you like the side panel of one enough to use it on the other, that's possible here which is pretty cool. Also, as mentioned above, you can see the beveling at the top of the mod and how that works with the beveling of the Crown V tank on the left. Side by side, you can see the similarities as well as differences in both of these mods.

Not too many complaints here. The mod is extremely easy to use for a box mod, and it fires quickly and accurately. I don't have enough experience with TC to include it in the rating. If you have knowledge in how well this mod works in TC, please feel free to leave a comment on it.

Performance-wise, I'm confident that this mod can reach the full 220W, but not without additional risk. With a 0.15 ohm Freemax X1 coil, the mod fired at 203 watts, at 5.53 volts, and just shy of a 37A draw. I'm pretty sure a 0.10 ohm coil will give it the last 17W needed to reach the 220W spec. While there doesn't exist a 40A or even 35A continuous discharge battery w/out temperature limitations, this mod is temperature protected well below the temperature limitations of any high discharge 18650 battery. If you must vape at this amount of wattage, be sure to monitor the warmth of the mod in hand and to not chain vape at this power setting. If the mod does hit the temperature limit, give it ample time to cool off before using it again. If you pop the side panel off and the batteries are hot to the touch, definitely turn the wattage down and let them cool off. I'm sure you're in the interest of keeping your face and hands in perfect working order.

Pros/Cons/Considerations:

+ + Pros + +

◾ Great build quality
    ◾ Fast and accurate firing
    ◾ Accurate and consistent coil resistance reading
    ◾ Dual 18650
    ◾ Aesthetically pleasing
    ◾ Cool side panel options
    ◾ Very easy to figure out and use
    ◾ Buttons are clicky and snappy
    ◾ Has Voltage Mode
    ◾ Batteries can be put in and removed easily w/out damaging the wraps
    ◾ UI has most of the pertinent information and is easy to read
    ◾ Innovative side panel magnets built into the panel
    ◾ No side panel wiggle
    ◾ Side panels interchangeable with older MVV 2
    ◾ Price point makes this a great option for a dual 18650 battery mod

- - Cons - -
    ◾ 510 plate screwed into metal fittings molded into polycarbonate

+ - Considerations - +
    ◾ Made mostly of polycarbonate; makes it light but also susceptible to cracking

Overall Rating:

Bang for your buck - this puppy definitely ranks up there with the best of them.

This mod sells directly from Dovpo here for $40 as of the date of this review. You can also find it at participating vendors. As mentioned above, bang for your buck ranks this mod pretty high up there. I've thoroughly enjoyed testing and reviewing this device, and I hope I've covered all you'd be interested in knowing. If you have questions, feel free to respond here or PM me. Hope to catch you in the next review, thanks for reading and...

Happy Vape Hoarding!
    :rickroll:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread